How to test flavors - equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Well, I don't knowhow to raise my post count by just saying nothing, plus according to the intro message, is frowned upon...

So rather than than trying to look the info up, I'll just ask here.

What I'm wondering is how to test many different DIY flavors - what equipment should I use?

I am a beginner. I started with the 21st century rechargeable from a gas station. And now I have Elite 808 batteries, plus their passthrough. I just ordered an Innova iTaste v3 (VV&VW) with some various clearomizers and many adapters to help sort out the complete mess of different threadings (why oh why couldn't the industry just settle on ONE fricken standard?? :confused: UGH!)

I did order ONE 510 atomizer plus a round drip tip for it - hoping that might be a 'right way', but I still don't understand how to [hopefully quickly] clear the last flavor used - especially if they're very different.

Does anybody have some ideas?

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Welcome to the forum Hoggy.

Well you went the right way by getting an atomizer. There is nothing easier to use to try different flavors.

510 and ego threading seem to be almost the industry norm now. There are some other threaded devices out there, but I'd go so far as to say I think the 510 / Ego threading is almost becoming the standard - I said almost!

As for cleaning the atty between flavors, simple way is just to remove it from the battery, remove your drip tip. Put a paper towel where your drip tip was and blow out the atty through the bottom air holes. Keep doing this until the paper towel is dry.

At this point, you can probably just drip the next flavor in there - some people like to drip a few drops of PG or VG in there and blow it out again, or vape it through.

That's it, simple. Now if you have a particularly strong flavor, like an absinthe or something, it's going to be hard to get rid of that flavor - so just be aware, it may take several cycles of the above to get strong flavors out - and some may not come completely out.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Thanks..

Is there anything easier.. Like maybe use one of those rebuildable atomizers with some sort of mesh - to be able to put, say 1 drop on stainless steel mesh? Or maybe just have different meshes to use? (I don't exactly understand what that entails right now.) Or is that likely way too advanced for me right now?

Also, has there been any consensus as to what that 'flavor eraser' type of stuff contains?

(And one of the flavors I'm trying to figure out is TFA bacon. Seems awfully, awfully strong - with a quadruple dose of awfully, awfully strong!. :2cool:)

Last edited:

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Hi and welcome!

I have a blog that might have something useful for you:
Drip, Drip, Drip…

I drip frequently and have used flavor eraser. It smells like it has an alcohol base, or at least the one got from Vixen Vapor does. I've only used it a few times, but it worked. Most of the time I just vape unflavored in-between flavors.

ETA: Unfortunately, it isn't always just the atty you have to worry about. I had a flavor that was vile and I can still smell it in the drawer the bottle was in.

Last edited:

Thin

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2013
Scotland
Have a look around at "dripping". This is where you drip a few drops directly onto an atomiser and vape a few puffs until it's dry, then add more and vape again. It's great for tasting different flavors, and the taste from one doesn't bleed too much to the next. I have an igo L for this and it vapes great. You need to make your own coils for it, but there's plenty tutorials on you tube etc. All you need is maybe ten bucks worth of wire and wick and you're good for about a year. The atty itself isn't expensive to buy, is made of stainless steel so it should last, comes with a pack of spare o-rings etc so shouldn't break down, and it also has a little "well" so it's easy to drip about half a ml of juice if you want a bit longer than a few puffs from it.

edit...it's 510 threading too

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
In a nutshell, you can wash an atomizer in just warm water in between flavors. As stated above, flavors like anise, or strong mint may be a touch difficult to get rid of. Another cleaning method is to use a clear alcohol ( like Vodka) to rinse the atty. then you can dry burn the atty until it is gone. If the flavor still is in there, you can do an overnight soak.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
In a nutshell, you can wash an atomizer in just warm water in between flavors. As stated above, flavors like anise, or strong mint may be a touch difficult to get rid of. Another cleaning method is to use a clear alcohol ( like Vodka) to rinse the atty. then you can dry burn the atty until it is gone. If the flavor still is in there, you can do an overnight soak.

I wouldn't recommend dry burning a 510 atomizer. All of the videos and information I have read suggests that dry burning decreases coil life.

Now I dry burn my clearomizer heads like some type of crazy pyromaniac - so I am a hypocrite and you should probably ignore me anyway.

jrs99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
King George, VA
I'm really wanting to try dripping and will probably pick up an AGA T next pay day. I really want to get into Mechs too but I need to learn more first.
You asked a good question that's been on my mind as well about clearing juices between refills. So far with my Protank or any thing else I always rinse the tank and atty out under hot water. I haven't had any problems but was worried that it might damage the atty.
So since I already have my requisite 5 posts, I'm glad you got my question answered on the way to getting yours ;p

wutarush

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2013
pennsylvania
Thanks..

Is there anything easier.. Like maybe use one of those rebuildable atomizers with some sort of mesh - to be able to put, say 1 drop on stainless steel mesh? Or maybe just have different meshes to use? (I don't exactly understand what that entails right now.) Or is that likely way too advanced for me right now?

Also, has there been any consensus as to what that 'flavor eraser' type of stuff contains?

(And one of the flavors I'm trying to figure out is TFA bacon. Seems awfully, awfully strong - with a quadruple dose of awfully, awfully strong!. :2cool:)

If you get a rebuildable dripper try cotton wick. Ridiculously cheap, just rinse the coil and replace the cotton between flavors. Cheap easy and effective enough for your proposes.

MikesAOK

Jul 16, 2013
Manchester, UK
....... (why oh why couldn't the industry just settle on ONE fricken standard?? :confused: UGH!

...lol, didn't you know that's the beauty of standards, ....you've got loads to choose from! :p

P.S.. You want to raise your post count but you have nothing to say?? -and you know doing so would be frowned upon. So you admit that instead of looking up the information you need you'll just ask instead. Wow I'm amazed,... ssssh.. <whisper> maybe the moderators won't get to hear of your cunning plan to dodge the rules, mwuhaha ...and maybe they won't hit the button marked 'reset post count', just as you achieve your new your target goal of extra privileges, to the cry of "...Dodge THAT "

I think this is maybe why, we're in the 'New-comers' section, gives us a chance to find our feet, to ask questions which have probably been asked a thousand times previously, to help each other and share our new found knowledge. Personally I like the idea that once your a veteran around here you can leave the'kindergarten' and talk the talk without the constant shirt tugging 'whats this, whats that, what's an ecig anyway'.a break from the kids so to speak.
But anyways, it all seems pretty relaxed around here, I've not seen any heavy handed moderating, pretty much free to speak your mind, a.lot of sites have been censored to death for fear of liability, but thankfully the people around here are playing it professionally. So please don't be bending the rules, that just leads to stricter enforcement -and I like things just the way they are:)
If your stuck for something to talk about, introduce yourself, tell us what brought you here, what you are looking for or hope to achieve, etc. I'm dying to ask, ...what is the rush for post counts?

Welcome to the forum, -I'm new around here myself, I'm trying to gleam some info on types of ecig available, ejuices etc as I'm still on analogs and want some knowledge before I commit to buying, so much stuff to go at. -good luck with your journey

Last edited:

Sed Contra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Northeast Ohio
I just bought an A6 rebuildable drip atomizer today for testing flavors. It seems like a great way to go.

BTW, I'm looking to increase my post count, too, and to answer MikesAOK about why: for me it's because my understanding is that I can't have a banner until after 15 posts, and I think it would be great for me to constantly see how many days it has been since I quit, how much money I've not spent on cigarettes, and how many cigarettes I haven't smoked. It's all about that habitual recollection for me...and this should be my 15th post. :)

thebob1467

Aug 11, 2013
Pearland, TX

Monkey7

Mar 20, 2012
USA
Thanks..

I use "Flavor Eraser".. 30ml for about $3. But, I think people have come up with all sorts of DIY flavor erasers (vodka/water, etc).

If you're using Clearos though, it's kind of difficult (atleast, to me) to test flavors. Why? Because you need to fill up the Clearo quite a bit to get a really good wick/taste. And then, to empty it out + get it really clean / erase flavor from the wick(s), seems a tedious process.

Maybe using a drip tip is the very best?

Or, using a tank, which you don't need to fill very much to get a good flavor, and it's easy to clean/refill with a new flavor.

By the way, I also use an Innokin itaste vv (both tank and clearo) and love it :)

White Rabbit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Cheap, easy and it works:

Just use a pin or needle to work out the fiber fill from an old atty. Anyone will do. Carefully poke around the center post or pole then around the sides and pull out the fiber fill with tweezers or poke it out with the needle. What you have left is the coil at the bottom and a center tube. Wash it out, dry burn with only a very quick hit. Drip and Vape. Re clean and try again and again and again. I have 5 or 6 old attys that are over a year old. Easy to wash out quickly, quick burn, drip and taste. There you go.

Wabbit

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I'm really wanting to try dripping and will probably pick up an AGA T next pay day. I really want to get into Mechs too but I need to learn more first.
You asked a good question that's been on my mind as well about clearing juices between refills. So far with my Protank or any thing else I always rinse the tank and atty out under hot water. I haven't had any problems but was worried that it might damage the atty.
So since I already have my requisite 5 posts, I'm glad you got my question answered on the way to getting yours ;p

Yup - trying to get those 5 posts in is a ........ They should lower down to 3 or something. :)

I'll definitely try all these suggestions. I just found out that one could rinse them in water. For some reason I didn't think so, but now I think 'well, the thing is soaking in liquid all the time anyways'.
That vodka or everclear sounds promising for the hard to get out flavors. That TFA bacon one I got though... I don't think a nuclear bomb would get the smell out! Luckily, I used an old clearmizer that seemed to be breaking down .
I've been getting all sorts of tanks and clearomizers to try what's out there - some recoilable via heads, some non-serviceable, and even a couple rebuildables that looked promising for a beginner to learn with.

This 'hobby' sure gets expensive fast! But nonetheless, it's fun to find out what will be the cheapest long-term running costs.

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I use a HH357 short barrel atomizer on a Vamo. Every time i switch juices I just blow it out, do a light dry burn, and add the next juice. Tasty and effective.

You dry burn your HH357?

You do know that Hana himself suggests not dry burning it right? It's your call, but I just wondered if you had watched the video over on Avid vaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread