how to you pronounce Ruyan

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryS

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2009
I speak Chinese, so maybe I can help you on this one.. Ru sounds like the roo from Kangaroo. Yan sounds like it looks Y + an (as in AN orange). or if you squish these two English words together you'll get the proper pronounciation of yan: saY-ANother.
Chinese has tones, the ru goes up, and the yan is a high tone, but that is really hard to describe, and probably more info than you wanted anyway. :)
. I think the Chinese is actually WuYan.無煙 Which means "without smoke", or at least, that's what it sounded like to me when I heard a Chinese person talking about a personal vaporizer. Ru is also a Chinese character, but I can't see what connection it has to Yan 煙 "smoke".

GaryS

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2009
It is RoYahn and the translation is "like Smoke"....

like = 如 ru or roo. smoke = 烟 yan. So I guess it wasn't a mistranslation. Writing Chinese using English Characters is called PinYin. Quite often companies will choose easy PinYin characters inplace of ones that might be difficult for western people to pronounce. But, in this case, the PinYin they chose is the direct translation.

Gary

GaryS

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2009
ai yaaaaa,,, wo yao pi jiu! lol
我也很喜歡喝啤酒也用如煙。就是在就把的時候要用我的如煙!
haha. Nice to be able to use my Chinese. I tought English in China & Taiwan for almost 7 years. I just moved back to Canada 2 months ago. Finally finishing my linguistics degree. Then, back to Asia for me!
Gary

Rogue X2 v2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
我也很喜歡喝啤酒也用如煙。就是在就把的時候要用我的如煙!
haha. Nice to be able to use my Chinese. I tought English in China & Taiwan for almost 7 years. I just moved back to Canada 2 months ago. Finally finishing my linguistics degree. Then, back to Asia for me!
Gary

u taught English? 8-o

this is what my text to speech sw converted for me: pronounced Roo yen

Last edited:

GaryS

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2009
u taught English?

this is what my text to speech sw converted for me: pronounced Roo yen

烟 [yān] not yen. electronic translators are very inaccurate in my experience. If you use a dictionary to enter 烟, it should show up as [yān]. The line above the a means it is a high tone, so it is spoken with a higher pitch than the ru before it. When you say ru, you should sound like you are asking a question, because it is an upword tone: 如 [rú]

@Nico, Where was the Chinese American School? Beijing? I spent my time between 3 cities, ChengDu Sichuan, Dalain Lioning, and finally Taipei, Taiwan. The past 4 years have all been in Taiwan. I'll probably be heading back there to do a masters degree once I finish off my studies in Canada. It's a fun city to live in. Relatively inexpensive, and always fun stuff to do. Polution is pretty bad though. Damn scooters barfing out black garbage.
Gary

GaryS

ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2009
Rouge: The fact that you heard YEN, and not YAN is because of varience in dialects. "e" and "a" seem quite interchangeable. In Northern China, both the vowels e and a seem to melt together into "e". I lived mostly in the South & tropical regions, and the two vowels remained clearly distinct. Chances are your text to speech program has a Beijing speaker. It is kind of like the differences between American and British speakers of English. Our vowels differ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread