How valid do you think thid report is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coustanis

Aug 29, 2008
Bangkok's Independent Newspaper

Using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking is hazardous to your health and nervous system. They cram too much nicotine into your blood, a study reveals.

Mahidol University dental school researcher Dr Varanant Buejeap says electronic cigarettes contain nicotine and 28 carcinogenic substances, such as alkaloida, which releases substances that have amphetaminelike effects.
What could happen
This increases blood pressure and lipids in blood vessels. This makes the heart work harder and can lead to heart failure and sexual dysfunction.
She said nicotine released by the electronic cigarette is absorbed into blood vessels faster than regular cigarettes and will stay in the body longer than nicotine chewing gum.
So, the electronic cigarette is not recommended as a tool to quit smoking.
"It is better to just stop smoking or do not smoke an electronic cigarette if you are using nicotine gum. They will not help much. Instead it will cause lung, liver and mouth cancers," she said.

SANJP

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2008
LONDON UK
Firstly the guys a dental researcher !!

Secondly Ive been on the 36mg stuff for 2 months now

and trust be Im totally chilled (so no heart speed up after I vape)

Lastly and my wife will most definately vouch for me

Ive had absolutley no sexual dysfunction

in fact after switching to vaping Ive got 10 times more get up and go !!

:)

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
I was talking to some members of an e-cig forum in thailand recently to see what they had made of it. communication is kind of slow as the site does not get as much traffic as this one. i seem to get one reply to a post a day and i am still in the middle of talking with them about it. (as far as i'm concerned anyway :))

What some of them said so far was interesting though. They reckon in translating the piece to english, the reported innocently confused "smokeless tobacco" for "electronic cigarette". I am not sure if this might be entirely true as when a kind member translated the original article into english, he also used the term electronic cigarette but perhaps the original author was mistaken about what an electronic cigarette is as s/he does blame the tobacco companies for inventing them.

anyway you can read the conversation from the link below:

hi guys, anyone speak english here ?

Satire

ECF Veteran
Nov 5, 2008
Texas
such as alkaloida, which releases substances that have amphetaminelike effects.
alkaloida has no definition in any english dictionary and turned up 0 results on the pubchem chemical database, perhaps it is a translation (this would still turn up a result on pubchem though..) but all I could find was a chemical supplier with the name alkaloida, and even if it was real, how could it "release substances that have amphetamine-like effects," unless it breaks down into substances that trigger the same receptors as amphetamines (which I find highly unlikely, and if it did the speed freaks and DEA would have already been all over that). Wow I just clicked the link because I assumed you were paraphrasing a large report, but that is it, just a blatant claim of 28 carcinogens and only naming one which appears to be fake, followed by an outrageous claim of "releasing substances" (that doesn't make any sense) that have "amphetamine-like effects" (sounds like some severe BS, I know amphetamines and these dont even vaguely feel like them, and don't overlook the fact that this statement has now associated e-cigs with a widely abused and publicly scorned substance with 0 evidence or explanation) and of course finished by another outrageous, unsupported claim of lung, liver and mouth cancers which are stated as the definite fate of anyone who uses it. Totally unfounded, impossible claims without even an attempt at supportive evidence. Sounds like a propaganda ad to keep the majority of less-informed people from looking into it. Just checked and the university is real but the "dentist researcher" is not listed in their staff or research team rosters, the only 6 results returned on google were from e-cig people quoting the article, NOTHING in any scientific journal, medical staff listing, etc. Try typing in the name of any person you know with the title of doctor and I bet at the very least their name is listed somewhere on their school's website and on the medical license people's website, and at whatever place they work. No currently active researcher with a doctorate degree is unknown to google except this guy.. hmm..

Obviously a bull**** article aimed at lowering public opinions and keeping potential converters from getting interested, pay it no mind

*edit* sorry for bringing up an oldie :p

Last edited:

dc2k08

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 21, 2008
.ie
www.e-cignews.com
I thought she must have been made up at first too but she does exist and she is listed at the college web-site and her name comes up in a few documents but it was misspelled in the report. she never responded to any mail I sent her though.

Electric cigarettes in killer shock - doctors
By The Nation
Published on August 25, 2008

Using electronic cigarettes to quit smoking is hazardous to your health and nervous system. They cram too much nicotine into your blood, a study reveals.

Mahidol University dental school researcher Dr Varanant Buejeap says electronic cigarettes contain nicotine and 28 carcinogenic substances, such as alkaloida, which releases substances that have amphetaminelike effects.

What could happen

This increases blood pressure and lipids in blood vessels. This makes the heart work harder and can lead to heart failure and sexual dysfunction.

She said nicotine released by the electronic cigarette is absorbed into blood vessels faster than regular cigarettes and will stay in the body longer than nicotine chewing gum.

So, the electronic cigarette is not recommended as a tool to quit smoking.

"It is better to just stop smoking or do not smoke an electronic cigarette if you are using nicotine gum. They will not help much. Instead it will cause lung, liver and mouth cancers," she said.

just putting this here in case it is ever deleted
compare it to the original version of this report as it appeared in thai (translated to english obiously)

WARNING: Tobacco facilities promote smokeless tobacco is safe and help to quit smoking

Scholar warns tobacco company promote smokeless tobacco is safe and help to quit smoking. But the truth from research indicates that smokeless tobacco as amphetamine or heroine have nicotine and 28 types of carcinogens.

Dr.Waranant BuaJeeb Oral Medicine Department, Faculty of Dentistry Mahidol University reveals that tobacco company new tactic to catch new smoker including launches electronic cigarette or smokeless tobacco. Their advertisement had shown that non-affect after smoke and help to quit smoking.

The truth from research indicates that smokeless tobacco is tobacco which without burning however nicotine still absorbed and cancer affected. Both chewing and sucking gum have nicotine and 28 types of carcinogens. Moreover nicotine is alkaloid’s substrate as amphetamine or heroine make addicted, afflict nervous system, increased blood pressure, makes the heart work harder, lipids in blood vessels also blood vessel obstructed in whole body make heart failure and sexual dysfunction.

Prof.Dr.Prakit Vathesatokit Executive Secretary of ASH Thailand said import and trade smokeless tobacco are infracted follow by Custom Act of Parliament since 2469. Violator fine for 4 times total of duties or incarcerate not over 10 years or both. He found that some facilities attempt to ask for the approval to manufacture smokeless tobacco then pretext to import. Trading must immediately report to police officer or DDC officer to proceedings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread