FDA HR2058 vs Cole-Bishop Amendment

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
From what I understand about all of this, HR2058 and the Cole-Bishop Amendment accomplish the same thing moving the Deeming date from 2007. The main difference is that the Cole-Bishop Amendment includes provisions for reasonable regulation of our industry. This sensible proposed regulation included in the amendment boosted its support within both parties, and it passed 31-19 in the House Appropriations Committee.

From what I am seeing, HR2058 has stalled and has very little chance of moving forward

Phil Busardo and Dimitris Agrafiotis discuss this in detail in Phil's latest video.

What I am not understanding is why everyone is still rallying for HR2058 while the Cole-Bishop Amendment seems to be getting very little attention. If HR2058 is dead/dying and the Cole-Bishop Amendment seems to have support from our elected officials, shouldn't the consumers, businesses, and advocacy groups be directing their effort to the Amendment that has a higher probability of being passed? Or am I even more confused than I realize? ;)

OldBatty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2014
North Georgia USA
My understanding is that the Cole-Bishop Amendment has some stuff added that allows the FDA to continue to ban (most) flavors while changing the grandfather date for every thing else. The original Cole bill lacks this unwelcome addition.

Think there are some other minor differences but have not read a detailed explanation of why they are also bad.

(Possibly passing on an incorrect reason why CASSA is telling everyone to back the original Cole bill. See post below by Kent C)

Last edited:
Reactions: jjatl

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
IMO we should be urging support of both. At this point we need whatever we can get. HR 2058 is a cleaner bill, and just gained another cosponsor a day or two ago. The amendment does have additional language in it, particularly the battery standard that the FDA is supposed to come up with, that is worrisome. However, both would at least give us a temporary reprieve. Keep the industry alive long enough to fight back.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
There is nothing in the Cole/Bishop Amendment that speaks of flavors. That was something that came up in the discussion of the amendment, but has nothing to do with the amendment itself. Someone made a video with the discussion of the amendment re: flavors, and implied incorrectly that the amendment had some flavor aspects in it, which is does NOT.

See for yourself.
Keller Heckman | The Cole-Bishop Amendment to the Agricultural Appropriations Bill Amending the Grandfather Date for "Deemed" Tobacco Products Passes House Committee - What Next?

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
CASAA is now recommending support of both avenues for any that missed it...

Change the predicate date for vapor products!

This week, CASAA updated our engagement in support of a change to the predicate date for products newly deemed to be tobacco by the FDA. We have made a slight adjustment to the letter we are asking members to send lawmakers to include support for both HR 2058 and the Cole-Bishop amendment. Please see our updated post here for more details. If you have not already taken action on this issue, please take a moment today to send a message to your lawmakers urging them to update the predicate date for vapor products.

Take Action - Send an Email

jjatl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 12, 2015
Georgia
CASAA is now recommending support of both avenues for any that missed it...

Change the predicate date for vapor products!

This week, CASAA updated our engagement in support of a change to the predicate date for products newly deemed to be tobacco by the FDA. We have made a slight adjustment to the letter we are asking members to send lawmakers to include support for both HR 2058 and the Cole-Bishop amendment. Please see our updated post here for more details. If you have not already taken action on this issue, please take a moment today to send a message to your lawmakers urging them to update the predicate date for vapor products.

Take Action - Send an Email

That is a great post, and it makes the situation much clearer for me!

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Lessifer

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
This sensible proposed regulation included in the amendment boosted its support within both parties,
Because the Cole Bishop amendment is bi partisan...
You guys sure have a different standard of "bi-partisan" than I. :)

Frankly, I'm putting my money on the 3rd branch of government as our best hope. The other two continue to fail miserably so why should we expect them to change now?

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
I had to eat my words in the Deeming thread from yesterday. I said there is zero chance a Dem co-sponsors this bill....D Rep Collin Peterson from MN is now the first D on the co-sponsor list. I'm starting to wonder if this Bill will actually move forward now. It will be interesting to follow the list of co-sponsors this summer. We surely need more than 1 D but the ice is broken.

Rewired5150

Jun 15, 2016
Los Angeles
I had to eat my words in the Deeming thread from yesterday. I said there is zero chance a Dem co-sponsors this bill....D Rep Collin Peterson from MN is now the first D on the co-sponsor list. I'm starting to wonder if this Bill will actually move forward now. It will be interesting to follow the list of co-sponsors this summer. We surely need more than 1 D but the ice is broken.

That's great news!!! Really hope our elective representatives will actually represent us!!

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

"Reps. Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.), Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) and Collin Peterson (D-Minn.) have all been spotted using the device on Capitol Hill."

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
Since May 1st, HR2058 has gained 20 co-sponsors that includes 2 Dems (D Rep Ashford from NE joined on 7/7). Total is now up to 71. More importantly we need Cole-Bishop to survive the fall. Is the gaining support for HR2058 a potential barometer for the viability of Cole-Bishop? I believe in some ways it is.

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Since May 1st, HR2058 has gained 20 co-sponsors that includes 2 Dems (D Rep Ashford from NE joined on 7/7). Total is now up to 71. More importantly we need Cole-Bishop to survive the fall. Is the gaining support for HR2058 a potential barometer for the viability of Cole-Bishop? I believe in some ways it is.
Yes, you are right about this. And we have Rep. Bishop visiting a e-liquid manufacturer in his district in GA soon.

Our real problem is in the Senate. We need to get a decent number of Dems on board in support of changing the date before December. The challenge is that there is no bill per se to Cosponsor.

If you have a Dem Senator who is reasonable we need to urge them to write to the Leader urging changing the date (Cole-Bishop language)in the final year end agreement. Possibles include Tester (MT), Donnelly (IN), Heitkamp (ND), Warner (VA), Manchin's (WV), Heinrich (NM), and Bennet (CO). Inviting them to a local Vape shop to meet voter who are passionate over August would be HUGE! Anyone who wants help doing this let me know!

Reactions: LaraC

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
BUMP!!

If you have a Dem Senator who is reasonable we need to urge them to write to the Leader urging changing the date (Cole-Bishop language)in the final year end agreement. Possibles include Tester (MT), Donnelly (IN), Heitkamp (ND), Warner (VA), Manchin's (WV), Heinrich (NM), and Bennet (CO). Inviting them to a local Vape shop to meet voter who are passionate over August would be HUGE! Anyone who wants help doing this let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread