Huge voltage drop on the EA mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telescope Neil

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
I have just recently seen PBusardo's latest review on the Opus D, he made a test showing the voltage output of the EA mod underload using a fully charged MNKE and AW IMR 18650. both has shown a 1v and 0.9v voltage drop respectively. I was like wow, that was huge. I was thinking of getting one, but after seeing that video it was just a total turn off. Thoughts?

porkchopharry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
Los Angeles
I have seen claims that is has the like one of the best (least amount of) voltage drops, and I have seen claims that it has what you posted. Dunno. I have just traded for one and I should get it tomorrow. I can't really see WHY it would underperform as it's as bare bones as you can get. Google around, you will find plenty of people who say it is great. And, you will find some that say it is meh. The only thing I worry about is that it doesn't get as much love as some of the others even though it's priced just as high, so trading or selling it if I don't like it might be more difficult.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I took a qtip and alcohol and cleaned the threads, then I applied noalox and wiped it off. The I used the qtips with alcohol to swab the brass contacts. I also cleaned both ends of all my batteries. Some people take theirs apart and wash with warm water and dish soap, I haven't done that yet. the EA has no spring.. it is very simple, nothing to cause any major voltage drop except the threads and most all mechs are telescopic now.

I remember hearing people talk about keep the reo's clean and using noalox.. I didn't know why or how they could be washed in the sink until I got into mechs.

The EA mod is a really nice, quality device with brass contacts. Don't be afraid to get one. I bought mine from vapedudes but found out later I could have saved $23 if I had ordered it directly from electricangel.fi

With a fresh charged batt, mine averages a .3 drop and I think that's pretty good. I can go most all day on an 18650 batt without feeling the need to change batts. But that's with a .8 coil.

Last edited:

porkchopharry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
Los Angeles
I was going to suggest that the issue was merely a need to clean contacts. I mean what can go wrong? I seriously think a lot of fuss is being made over these types of claims, and being compulsive (most of us anyway), we get into a cycle where we are just blowing tons of cash chasing the dragon and manufacturers might SOMETIMES be "taking advantage" of it.

porkchopharry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
Los Angeles
The EA mod is a really nice, quality device with brass contacts. Don't be afraid to get one. I bought mine from vapedudes but found out later I could have saved $23 if I had ordered it directly from electricangel.fi

I may have quoted you in another thread, but the EA is cheaper directly because they subtract VAT on it. Do other Euro companies do the same? Such as say for the Nemesis mod, etc? Or do they not already have VAT included in price like the 2 sites that offer the EA?

EDIT- I see that one of the Euro sites that sells the EA, and confirmed to me that VAT would be subtracted if I ordered from them, also sells the Nemesis. Hmmm...

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
I don't measure voltage drop under load but I think I've said this before, having had an EA, a Roller, a GG and a few others, I couldn't really notice any difference between them using the same battery/atty. Maybe with your super duper <insert impressive number> coil some of you can but not me. I like the EA because it has the fewest parts, if there is an issue, not a lot of things it could be.

If I take an unmodified china mech and put it vs that group, I notice a difference.

Also, Opus D...$250 and it comes with a non user serviceable 1500mah battery?

Fury83

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2012
Nowhere
Could it be that you're used to having a big voltage drop on the same mods that you have?

None of those mods are really known for voltage drop and those aren't the only ones I have had.

Is there some magical mod that I don't know about? People just tend to claim either whatever is new or whatever they have they can tell a difference on. New makes sense since I just assume people don't clean their mods, especially the contacts as often of they should.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
People just tend to claim either whatever is new or whatever they have they can tell a difference on.

It's called confirmation bias, the tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses, with a side order of post-purchase rationalization — the tendency to persuade oneself through rational argument that a purchase was a good value.

Human nature. :)

EDO

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2009
You don't really notice voltage drop until you make 1 ohm coils and lower. The lower ohm coil you make the bigger the voltage drop. If you have 0.2-0.3v drop under load on a 1 ohm coil that means you mechanical device/battery is performing pretty good. Having no voltage drop when the device is not under load is meaningless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread