The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Human Radar

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sebastianbach, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. sebastianbach

sebastianbach Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Hello,

--------------------MOVİE SPOİLER----------------
    I was taking a glance at that movie: Cage Dive. Briefly, the subject of the movie was 3 persons got lost in the sea and they couldn' t be found by coast guards for a while.

--------------------MOVİE SPOİLER----------------

In the year 2018, that movie seemed primitive practice to me, since the sharks were more capable of finding people than coast guards.

I would like to know if it would be possible to make a radar that can find the people in the sea when they lost. What do you think about the toppic?

If any engineer would like to make this thing work, i would be happy if he would give my name on the device. Thank you for your interest.

2. bombastinator

bombastinator Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    I believe you are referring to “sonar”

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Anise

Anise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    Aren't we in the year 2018 right now? Doesn't seem all that primitive to me Guess it depends where you live.
    Are you talking about microchipping people like we do animals? Nope, ain't going there.

4. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    After thinking about this for a bit, it is questionable if even sonar would be effective without massive upgrades in sensitivity. A better suggestion then might be trained orcas. Their sonar is far far better than any mechanical system plus they could carry the seamen back in their mouths
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. pateralus9

pateralus9 Senior Member

Sep 29, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    I feel like radar wouldn't work because waves would interfere too much. I'm thinking also because you always had about planes flying close to the ground to avoid radar, maybe it wouldn't work at ground level. But that could be an outdated maneuver with more advanced radarthese days, I'm not sure.

Trained orcas is an interesting idea, though!

• Like Like x 2
  6. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    “Interesting” is a good word
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Anise

Anise Ultra Member ECF Veteran

May 11, 2016
    Southern Louisiana USA
    As long as they don't eat the people they're saving.

• Like Like x 1
  8. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    But... they get hungry too... this seems like an unreasonable requirement. You wouldn’t be able to use killer whales at all then. You’d have to go and use dolphins like the navy does.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. denali_41

denali_41 Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Over Der
    radar is useless if they are in the water,sonar is not practical since the sensitivity of it ,couldn't cipher between humans,sharks or large seaweed drifts

10. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Which is why I say orcas. The bulls are all about seamen

11. Nermal

Nermal Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jun 8, 2013
    Farmington, NM USA
    I'm sure nothing would make the lucky engineer happier.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. sonicbomb

sonicbomb Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    1187 Hunterwasser
    sharks

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. sebastianbach

sebastianbach Full Member

Oct 8, 2018
    What i know about this concept is that there are 2 subjects that can be affiliated with the radar as: laser and radar altimeters.

I know this thing is being used on air but maybe this can be applied to the water somehow?

14. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    ...with fricken radar

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. CMD-Ky

CMD-Ky Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
  16. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    You can’t kill bunnies with sharks silly. Bunnies are way too good at jumping

• Like Like x 1
  17. bombastinator

Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Hmm.. radar is radio waves bounced off objects. Radio is terrible at moving through water though. Sound waves move through water even better than they do through air though. So maybe what you need is a version of radar that uses sound.... some sort of ”soundar “ if you will...

18. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
  19. Bunnykiller

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    hmmmm and how are we looking for the people?? air recon or by boat? visual by air is the best method so far... using sonar is sketchy since the human body is like 60+% water ( not really dense enuf to reflect the sound wave... if sonar was a non linear pulse ( frequency modulated like whales and dolphins use) there would be a better chance for success ... but the real issue is the interpetation of the reflected sound waves... we just dont have the ability to reproduce that accuracy as our aquatic mammals do... millions of years of evolution will always beat 50 yrs of engineering... until we can figure out to what "we are listening to" its just noise...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bunnykiller

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    since radar is an EMF type of energy, it has a hard time traveling long distances thru water... sound on the otherhand can travel hundreds of miles ( until it hits thermoclines) and about 4 times faster than in air...
    the higher the frequency of the energy source, the quicker it dies out in water... light for example... at about 60'-120' most of the visible spectrum is lost depending on how murky the water is...

my best thought would be to use some type of "side view" fish finder but by the time you get close enuf one would be within visual range anyway....

heres an idea... package up some kind of highly reflective ( radar wise) balloon ( ehhh 4-6' dia) that has a 100' cord and it is filled with helium via a small canister when the moment requires... wala a radar passive low cost beacon...

• Like Like x 2