The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Hybrid Grand

Discussion in 'Reos Mods' started by Quigsworth, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Quigsworth

Quigsworth Just some guy... ECF Veteran Verified Member

So I love the Ehpro clone Atomic RDA...so much so I bought 3 of them to stick on my milled Grands.

I've been milling down and tweaking my Grands for sub-ohming for a while now. I found an Ever ready flashlight that has the perfect chunk of spring brass that has been able to take what ever current I can throw at it (but I'm still trying to find that elusive beryllium strip). At any rate, I've been getting some decent v drop numbers in the .3 to .25 range but there's still that last connection point where you lose...the 510.

So I got rid of it, I took one of my Atomics and removed the center pin and replaced it with a brass machine screw. I them milled one of my Grands right down to the deck, I drilled out what was left of the stock 510 and pressed a brass 510 barrel in there. I then drilled out the 510 barrel so that it was basically a threaded hole. I then took the brass machine screw (removed the head) put it in the lathe and drilled a 1mm hole up the center then "T'd" it with a 1mm horizontal through and through hole where it would be flush with the Atomic's deck (for good suck-back). I then drilled another 1mm hole right at the top of the machine screw for the coil leads (trapped by upward pressure of the spring I scrounged out of an RSST). The brass disc that holds the firing strip is a machine nut I just made round for something to do then I turned down the end to take the feeder tube....the end result, on my Fluke I finally hit the .2 drop mark on a .5 ohm build...

Of course this is now a single unit (though I could always make other center pins to work with different RDA's but for now...the Atomic is one of the best I've used and I've got 3 other Grands so meh...just throwin' it out there...btw, the juice bottle is a 10ml bottle I get from Bogger...they "just" fit (with no flappin' around, I hate that)

Attached Files:

2. mackman

mackman Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Aug 19, 2013
    NorCal
    I find your analysis of what you wanted to achieve and modification of the grand most excellent salute.jpg

3. Chinner

Chinner Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

May 15, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Hint hint rob.

Time to design a built in atty instead of the 510!

4. Raynman

Raynman Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Marion In USA
    Is that a person or a site? I might have to get a couple of those for my ADV.

5. c3 rolling

c3 rolling Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Aug 19, 2013
    Canyon Country, CA
  6. Quigsworth

Bogger box mods... my other favorite bottom feeder

Sent using a soup can and a piece of string

7. Big Hitter

Big Hitter Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Sep 21, 2010
    Binghamton, NY
    He's been on that for a while now ..... It will come.

8. gdeal

gdeal Moved On ECF Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    ( -_-) Ω~
    Very nice! I like the use of the spring to secure the wire to the post. Very straightforward solution to the mod. Just ordered up some Atomics as well.

9. Quigsworth

Tapping brass for the post screw had failure written all over it...it's just too soft...I've been toying with this method for a while now and decided this was the time to implement...I did have to make a "fork" type tool to force the spring down while I slide the leads in but honestly I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...no more re-torque...just need 2 more springs

10. gdeal

Aug 4, 2012
    ( -_-) Ω~
    ok Quigs. I dont know whether to hate ya or to love ya. The Atomics are rockin! They are blowing away the vape on my Cyclone AFC Bottom feeder. I was kinda hoping the Cyclone at three + times the price would out shine the Atomic. Taking a closer look and it all comes together. Its larger overall on the atty OD, but the internal chamber is about the same size. The airflow control while not as streamlined is superior. That and the larger bore on the drip tip and and a much better approach to dual coil set up. Thanks man... Just need to drill out the positive post for bottom feeding in the AM and I think the cyclone may be sent down to the minor leagues.

11. Un5tab1e

Un5tab1e Super Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jul 18, 2013
    United States
    I've heard a lot of people saying Bogger Box's site is up and taking money recently but, people weren't getting anything they ordered.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

12. Vwls

Vwls Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jun 22, 2013
    AZ
    Too bad - they make the cutest little stabilized bottom feeder in green maple or buckeye burl. It's a real shame about the guy ripping everyone off :(

13. Quigsworth

Though I've never vaped a Cyclone I have been up close and personal with one, a member on ECF sent me his to convert to bf for him (not going to say who, not my story to tell) but honestly I didn't have to try it, the post set up, the chamber volume, overall quality and how it's constructed...it's virtually a 1:1 of the ERA...which IMO is one of the finest drippers ever made...so I get all you guys on team Cyclone, add the AFC and it's pretty tough to beat...

Having said that, duals on an ERA is a major pain...because there's only 2 posts the coils are both on one side of the chamber so I had to drill one of my caps with air holes at around 100 degrees apart (as opposed to the standard 180), not a deal breaker, it works but what kills me is the vape temp and complete lack of juice reserve (not a lot of wick room)...I don't mind a good warm vape but wow...a little over the top for me (and you better have a delrin/ceramic DT)

The first thought I had dismantling my first Atomic was "there's a lot of metal in this bad boy, what's that do to the chamber volume and the vape temp (heat sink?)"...turns out it has a very similar chamber volume to the Trident (I have a clone of both a V2, which I hate, and a V1, which I really hate, the V1 has the dumbest AFC design ever, the V2 fixed that...but you still have to deal with that post design???) The Trident makes a great vape once you get it set up...if you survive the set up...

IMO I think the reason why the Atomic/Trident make such a great vape running duals is by virtue of their I.D. being effected by their respective AFC methods (while keeping to the standard O.D. of other RDA's)...the effected chamber volume hit that sweet spot. Just in my experience (and vaping tastes) when doing an identical build head to head against say a Nimbus, the vape out of an Atomic is slightly warmer and denser, which amps the flavor...where as once you drop down to the chamber volume of an ERA/Cyclone...it's just too in your face (at least when running duals)...:2c:

14. Quigsworth

For real?...that sucks...I certainly didn't intend to direct peeps to dubious site, I have a number of the bottles Bogger uses because I have a number of Bogger Boxes (all but 1 bought off the classys) I just thought if someone wanted to try one of the 10ml bottles...

15. gdeal

Aug 4, 2012
    ( -_-) Ω~
    So now that I have a bit of light to take a closer look. I think you are spot on. I took some measurements. The interior chamber size of the Atomic is ~15mm (w) x ~ 16mm (h). The cyclone is ~13mm (w) x ~15mm (h). But if you look at increased volume of space that the three larger posts take up inside the atty, I would bet they are very close in overall atty chamber volume?

[​IMG]

I did my vape comparison after adjusting the power level on the DNA to the mech. I am running single micro coils at slightly different resistances, (The mech is at .8, the DNA is at 1.1) but neither is really kickin at that in your face vape level. With these set ups, the Atomic is edging out the cyclone for flavor profile. Possibly that that third post is adding to the atty chamber mixing effect?

lol...nice coincidence, the Trident (which I really like as well) is what I pulled off the DNA mod to use the Atomic. The set-up with the Atomic (raised posts holes) was uber simple.

Gotta go fire up the drill press and hollow out that center post and bring that Atomic to the next level. BTW, sorry didnt mean to take your thread OT.

16. Un5tab1e

Un5tab1e Super Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jul 18, 2013
    United States
    http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/liquid-feed-apv-discussion/488754-boggers-box-claims-paid-products-not-being-shipped.html I knew it wasn't intentional.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

17. SavePaperVapor

SavePaperVapor Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota, USA
    Anyone have the details on how hard it is to convert the atomic? I picked up the cyclone a few weeks back but sold it since it was a prettier looking ERA with less flavor. I've got a tobh that I've been contemplating but I would have to find a drill press, and probably buy a couple clones to practice on. lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.