Status
Not open for further replies.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
If you do decide to use it, be safe. Do some research, look up some posts or videos on hybrid safety. Use an appropriate atomizer with a protruding 510 pin. Make sure your batteries are in tip-top condition. Assemble everything in the right order and don’t wrench anything down too tight. Be very aware of what you’re doing at all times. Don’t drink and vape.

Or stick with the regular top cap. I don’t think there’s THAT much of a benefit from the hybrid cap and to me, it’s just not worth the added risk.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The best 510 connector I have used is on the Stingray X which uses a silver coated one piece floating pin. I tested this against the 'hybrid' adapter that comes with it, and there was no difference between the two in terms of voltage drop.
In my experience the bulk of the voltage drop happens within the body of the mod and of course with the battery itself.
However the 510 on the the Stingray X is exceptional. Compared to a regular 510 comprising of three parts the voltage drop of a 'hybrid' connector may be marginally better.
I believe the main reason that 'hybrid' connectors are so prevalent is that they are far easier to machine and therefore cheaper to produce. If you can sell them as a 'performance' feature, even better.
In a competition context a few tenths of a volt difference may be significant. For you average joe vaper not really. When you factor in the additional and very real safety issues with 'hybrid' style 510's, it's not worth using them in my opinion.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
The theory behind a hybrid top is that the connection between the battery and the atty is direct so lowest possible resistance. Whether it actually makes much of a difference is another question
The difference is so insignificant I won't even consider using a faux-hybrid top, too easy to dent your batteries.
In my experience the bulk of the voltage drop happens within the body of the mod and of course with the battery itself...I believe the main reason that 'hybrid' connectors are so prevalent is that they are far easier to machine and therefore cheaper to produce. If you can sell them as a 'performance' feature, even better.
In a competition context a few tenths of a volt difference may be significant. For you average joe vaper not really. When you factor in the additional and very real safety issues with 'hybrid' style 510's, it's not worth using them in my opinion.
There is a bigger difference between lazily and properly built mechs (quality of thread machining, number of transitional resistance points, material).
I think the above comments about sum up the 510 vs hybrid top debate.

There allegedly have been more mod explosions with "hybrid top" or direct battery mechs than any other vaping device. This is likely because uninformed novices have used faux hybrid tops with the wrong atomizer connector. The below pictures demonstrate how that usually works out.

675-E-cig.jpg

C3E3EE14-84B0-4663-89FA-91DB8D953AE1_zpshizhveti.jpg

upload_2017-12-19_16-22-46-jpeg.706937
upload_2017-12-19_16-22-2-jpeg.706933

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread