Hybrids/Genesis style tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mechmaster

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
texas
Ok. I have spent the last 2 weeks waiting for santa cl-..... I mean the mail man to come with all sorts of vapemail and the goodies which lie within the several majestic cardboard boxes. But with a Hammer clone, MVP v2, an array of juice, a passthrough, batteries, charger and some clearos to come in..... Here I find another dilemma.

Genesis style tanks... Pros/cons? What's your opinion? I am a tinkerer of sorts so coil building isn't a problem. But I have heard, for instance, that you have to keep them vertical or else they leak like crazy. True/false?

And the sleek and amazingly b-e-a-U-tiful Hybrid mods. With their (at least i think they are) built-in genesis style tanks, Is the above mentioned problem still there in these mods? How's the hybrid treating ECF?

I just don't know. I have watched several reviews on several different hybrids from the 3D from Atmos to the Zenesis and I love the design and style of all of them. But are hybrid mods strictly drippers with a tank underneath? Or is there a hybrid out that has a BCC built in.

Several questions. But I'm extremely curious.:blink:

Glenn_K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Toronto
I love my genesis-style rba (Siam cobra), best flavor and vape production that I've had.

It came with a build done by the seller, and my recollection is that it didn't leak, even if I carried it sideways in my coat pocket. But the builds I've done so far have all leaked, which I wonder whether is due to the density of my mesh wick. I've only had the thing a month, and I've still got room for improvement with my builds.

I have trouble filling my genny with anything other than a syringe -- if I try using a needle tip bottle that only goes partly into the fill hole, it's like hitting an obstruction, and I get lots of backflow if i'm not careful. This makes me think that there's an airlock, which would prevent leaking if the wick were densely rolled, and filled the wick hole tightly. My impression is that opinion on ECF seems to be divided -- some people say that gennies don't leak, others say they do.

-- Glenn

Mechmaster

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
texas
What if someone were to wrap up a standard coil but make it to where one or more wicks are going down to the reservoir? Would that help at all? I guess a better question would be could you take the tank off and fill it the same way you would a protank, and have a wick going through, down into the tank so you'd just tilt the device and the juice would steadily reach the coil?

maxd

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2014
NYC,NY
well, I have quite the same dilemma,

What I know so far - genesis should make a cleaner taste,
however - it wouldnt be easy to start making the coil and its mesh for the first time - it comes only after several experiments and a bit of luck.

I am intend to thing that they would leak if not vertical, just physics..

however, I will try to get one , may be not a most expensive one and try it on the own :)

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Well, yes. But what if you were to take say, a 3 inch piece of cotton, run it through the coil like normal, but then run it through the fill hole in the genny? That's my question. :vapor:

Entirely possible. In fact, it is my preferred way to build a genny. Actually, you just build a vertical (micro) coil lined up over the wick hole, and run a cotton wick through the coil and down into the tank (almost to the bottom). That's all it takes.

Genny's do tend to leak (lots of holes in the deck to leak through when tilted), but they are an excellent platform for flavour and to perfect your coil building skills. A great one to start off with would be the RSST - nice big deck and very forgiving with various builds (lots to experiment with). I'd recommend that over jumping whole hog into a hybrid which would be both expensive and limiting (you can't swap out toppers, should you move on to other rebuildable platforms such as drippers or kayfun-style RTA's).

Mechmaster

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
texas
Entirely possible. In fact, it is my preferred way to build a genny. Actually, you just build a vertical (micro) coil lined up over the wick hole, and run a cotton wick through the coil and down into the tank (almost to the bottom). That's all it takes.

Genny's do tend to leak (lots of holes in the deck to leak through when tilted), but they are an excellent platform for flavour and to perfect your coil building skills. A great one to start off with would be the RSST - nice big deck and very forgiving with various builds (lots to experiment with). I'd recommend that over jumping whole hog into a hybrid which would be both expensive and limiting (you can't swap out toppers, should you move on to other rebuildable platforms such as drippers or kayfun-style RTA's).

I already have a Smok Scar RDA that I switched to use a single coil. But, It's old and I do need to rebuild it sooner or later. Right now my main is the pt3. I've heard good things about the rsst though. I may get that before i get a hybrid mod. I was looking at the juggernaut and the k300 (only because I'm a fan of BCCs). Idk. We'll see what happens with my wallet soon enough. I already have four separate vape mails on the way and I'm just itching to get my hands on something new hahaha:p

EDIT: A HUGE NVM on the K300! Just a juggy bottom end w/ a 510 connector.... Kind of disappointing. So that brings up this question!

Which Hybrid would ECF recommend?

Last edited:

Steam_Bern

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2013
In my own little world
Which Hybrid would ECF recommend?

Team Hotwire Romuluz Hybrid. In stock here for $170, which is good because I've seen them going for $220 on several websites:

Romuluz

This mod is modular; you can use 18350, 18500 or 18650 batteries. It has a reduced chamber that really concentrates flavor. Adjustable air flow. Can be set up with a single wick, double wich or U-wick. You can take the atty off it and use it on another mod. Also, the atty has an removable adapter on it that can be transferred to another atomizer so that atomizer, in turn can be used in hybrid mode on the Romuluz mod.

Here's mine:

FSAVrhO.jpg

This one has the Romuluz atty on my ELA and my Kayfun in hybrid mode on the Romuluz body:

eSTrlnE.jpg

The Romuluz has one more trick up it's sleeve; the atty comes apart from the bottom and the tank can be removed without losing the juice that is in it nor will your build be destroyed. This is the only genesis atomizer that I know of that can do this as to take apart a normal genesis atomizer, the positive post and thus the coil, must be removed. Team Hotwire also makes spare tanks with delrin caps for easy juice swapping.

It really is a great hybrid for a great price and probably won't be cloned due to all of the machining involved and tight tolerances would most likely make cloning difficult and cost prohibitive. I got mine on a Cyber Monday sale and have used it every day since. My first hybrid and I love it and am stunned with the amount of engineering and machining that went into it and that without saying how versatile it is.

Edit: Had the same picture posted twice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread