Travel and Vaping I am going on a buisness trip and I must fly,please help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
I haven't flown before but I have been going to the tsa site. I am a bit confused on what can and cant go. I will be flying in USA only so nothing international. But I don't know if I should try and cram everything in the check all bag, or should I put it in the carry on. What worry's me is I don't know how long I will be gone.They said 1 to 13 weeks so I need to take as much as I can of my ejuice and cartos. So please anyone with experience recently with air travel and ecigs please comment and let me know what to do.I really dont want to be forced into smoking real cigs and I don't want to have all my stuff gone through because they don't know what all the batteries and juice is. Thank you very much for any info you can provide.

MustangSallie

Mistress Blabber Mouth
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
USA
If you can cram all of your eliquid in 3oz bottles and have it all fit in a one quart baggie then you're okay taking it on the plane. At almost every major airport I've flown through I've never been stopped. If I have, it's normally over the PV or the cartomizers and not the liquid. Once TSA has me show them the battery or the cartomizers they know what it is immediately and let me go through. You can take lithium ion batteries in your carry on, but there is a size limit there on the battery. I don't know what that size limit is, but again I've never had a problem and I typically carry four 18350s with me.

My husband typically packs his to go in checked baggage, but then he gets some leakage with over full bottles of eliquid.

Last edited:

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
Pack everything in Jiffy Bags apart from my carry on device, usually a VMod or a Touchwood and geny, and battery charger.

Just make sure you take it out of the carry on bag and put them in a tray. Since I started doing this never had an issue or question really well other than if a ProVari is really worth buying.

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
I also have had no problem with TSA. Just know that tanks with juice and juice in bottles may leak if you try to put it in your checked bags. I do what is suggested above and make sure my juice is in smaller than 3 oz bottles in a clear plastic bag and carry it on. If you're actually gone for 13 weeks you're going to likely have to pick up more juice at your destination or order some and have it delivered there!

Have a good trip!

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
Personally, I'd take some cig-a-likes you can stand (I rather like the Fin brand from Wally World) and leave them in their packaging. Many PVs look, um... questionable. I'd opt for minimizing potential hassle. I'd be ...... if someone confiscated my Provari and RBA. (My wife and I started on Fins and use them with some re-fillable carts when we travel.)

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
There are NO ISSUES taking a PV through TSA Security Check points. PERIOD!
Pack Liquids under 3OZ into the ziplock bag as per regulations. I would include any filled tanks you have, as by definition, it's a liquid container, but some have gotten away with not doing so.. Cartos do not seem to matter either way. Make sure the PV(s) is off. and stowed in your carry on.

You might get asked what it is, but TSA knows the deal.

Wife flew with 3 10ml bottles, 1 Vamo (with the tank on it) an eVic and 2 ego 1100mAh batteries not to long ago.

saso81

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Los Angeles
I just recently took a round trip from LA to NY. I took an Evic and ALL my vaping supplies with me in my carry on without any problems. I didn't even breakdown the unit, batteries, etc. My backpack went right through the x-ray machine and then never batted an eye....which I thought was odd, I expected a big unit with a battery like an Evic would at least raise a questions or two...but nope!

Advice - Even though my juices came with me onto the plane which is pressurized I still had leakage. Make sure to close the caps tightly and put each juice in its own little baggie, otherwise you may get juice everywhere. I also think it's better to take it on your carry on because if there is an issue you can simply explain to them what it is VS a random luggage search by someone who doesn't know what he's looking at which could delay your bags or even worse cause them to confiscate(or steal for that matter) your PV.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
So if I wrap up my bottles really good I can take bigger bottles in my check in bag? I just hate the thought of running out and having to find alternatives. I would order more when I run low but if work calls and says come on back I will have to go and lose and juice I ordered in the mail.I am going to cram all the small bottles I can in the quart bag for carry on since you guys said it will be ok.

dynasty27

May 31, 2013
Naples
I took 3 bottles with me on a recent trip up to Boston (in a small sandwich bag) and put my provari mini and evic in my carryon with one of my bonita tanks and had no issues, except my bottle of lemon lime seems to have exploded while airborn, but no hassle whatsoever from TSA. No hassle flying from Logan International back to SWFL, even did a little vaping on the plane with no issues (took a drag and breathed in deeply so I wouldn't release a lot of vapor and bother some lesser enlightened people)

saso81

Verified Member
Apr 27, 2013
Los Angeles
I took 3 bottles with me on a recent trip up to Boston (in a small sandwich bag) and put my provari mini and evic in my carryon with one of my bonita tanks and had no issues, except my bottle of lemon lime seems to have exploded while airborn, but no hassle whatsoever from TSA. No hassle flying from Logan International back to SWFL, even did a little vaping on the plane with no issues (took a drag and breathed in deeply so I wouldn't release a lot of vapor and bother some lesser enlightened people)

I popped into the airport restrooms and vaped a bit in a stall, but I would honestly not recommend anyone take the chance of vaping in a plane at all. Just imagine if a flight attendant sees you or a passenger gets alarmed and they ground the plane, kick you off, etc, etc...all just to take a drag. Not worth it.

cmccl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Verdi, NV
I think the larger bottles would be fine in the checked bag if they are sealed tightly AND in a plastic bag in case they do leak. Best would be new bottles that have never been opened. I am traveling at the end of this week and I will NOT be taking my brand new provari with me. I'll miss it but it's just too new :) and I can't bear the thought of anything happening too it. I'm not worried about the TSA as much as the hustle bustle and hassle of travel. I'm afraid I'd lose it honestly. On my last business trip I left my mac power cord in the airport :(

This trip I'll be taking some juice in the quart baggy for carry-on, a few cig-alikes, and a few ego batteries in my purse. If I lose anything I'll survive!

Most e-juice bottle unless you are carrying a quart sized bottles are smaller than the maximum allowed for carry on the allowed size are a few ounces like sample sized shampoos etc. I don't believe there is a max number of how many you can carry on, but certainly you culd get on with a bottle or two.

Couple of things I but in check through or not take at all if I am going strictly carry on are the large syringes with the blunt needles (or any needle for that matter unless you carry them for a medical reason like diabetes but diabetes aren't using 10 cc syringes and the TSA knows that. Obviously I don't carry there bottle with blunt needle tops either. I had some in my 'vape' case on one trip and was stopped and asked about them even though they were not on either syringes or bottle and I had neither with me (they had just gotten forgotten in the case). The TSA kindly tossed them for me to avoid further embarrassment.

I would not travel with DIY supplies, mix at home.To be homest for traceling I prefer purchased e-juice as I can get it with labels, my own in unlabeled bottles seems to raise questions about what is in there and how are they supposed to know but they never have questioned the labled one - just read them. Another reason for not DYO n a trip (besides the time) is that there are all sorts of regulations about transporting toxic substances on a plane in flight, whether in the cargo hold, luggage area or your lap, and nicotine base is that in a nutshell.

Just to make things simple if you are traveling with more than one battery, atty, charger and bottle of e-juice, get yourself a diabetic supplies case or makeup case and put it all in one place. Easier for them to zip open a case to inspect what is in there when they see it on the x-ray then digging through a backpack or bag and pulling it out piecemeal. I love the diabetes supply cases as there are a ton of size ranges, they have plenty of net and plastic pockets, velcro and elastic loops (just the right size for vaping supplies as diabetic supplies are often about the same size and shape. Most come with one pouch for what a diabetic would use for discarding lancets and test stripsa and other cataninates - nice for anything you might think will leak and get into everything else.

You can also place bottles back int the small ziplock baggies that your juice was in when shipped to you and place the juice in it before sliding into the straps. These cases are insulated and padded to keep diabetic supplies including glass items, electronic meters, etc safe so that protection is nice for your vaping supplies. These cases are not huge but can run from the size or an ego case to larger but hold much more than a battery, atty and charger. My case gets carried on with me, and the case provide great protection, the case stays near me, I know where my stuff is and it does not look awkward to the public.

Some come with cooling pack to keep them at a nice temp if traveling in hot weather. They are cushioned and usually have a clip or other mechanism that will hang on a belt or outside a backpack or bag and save space for things you want to put inside. Its a nice presentation and easy for them to look at without rummaging around in a pile. Cosmetic bags can work too if you get ones that have the various compartments and are long enough for batteries etc but since diabetes supplies usually entail the need to carry insulin pens a bit longer by same diameter as many insulin pens, insulin, other syringes, bottles of insulin (about the same diameter as juice bottles) and so on.

Since I have had the case (infact I have several depending on what I am taking and how long I will be gone) I have had pretty fast check thoughts; open the case like any other (laptop, carry on etc) and let the TSA ponder all my cool stuff and with what neatness I have it arranged, To be honest I think many think they re seeing diabetes supplies since they expect to with those cases and wouldn't know a PV from a flashlight. i guess it just depends on how much 'vaping' inservice they have had. Least I am not answering questions and holding up the line.

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
Thank you for all the replies. I will be heading out in a few days and I hope all goes well. It sucks I dont know for how long I will be gone.If I did I could just pack enough to get me there and back no problem, but as it is I need to bring as much as possible.Should I put all my cartos in the check all bag or try to bring them in my carry on. I thought if I put them in a ziplock bag together with the batteries it would look suspicious.

rekonball

Jan 5, 2013
S.L.C. Ut.
If you can cram all of your eliquid in 3oz bottles and have it all fit in a one quart baggie then you're okay taking it on the plane. At almost every major airport I've flown through I've never been stopped. If I have, it's normally over the PV or the cartomizers and not the liquid. Once TSA has me show them the battery or the cartomizers they know what it is immediately and let me go through. You can take lithium ion batteries in your carry on, but there is a size limit there on the battery. I don't know what that size limit is, but again I've never had a problem and I typically carry four 18350s with me.

My husband typically packs his to go in checked baggage, but then he gets some leakage with over full bottles of eliquid.

TSA VAPE FLYING + TOUR OF THE VAPE LAIR - YouTube
this might help

DeeDee1234

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Texas
Oh and I have bigger bottles I could put my juice in but I dont have labels for them. I thought I could put them in my check bag but I am concerned that without labels they might just throw them out without asking what is in them.

YOu can print up some labels on the computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread