I am Now Officially an E-Smoker

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not a real Important thread so, thought I would put it here.
It Might help some noobs, like me, know what to expect.

My Pen Finally arrived today. :lol:
It is a DSE 801, Standard Pen. :thumb:
(i wasnt sure if it was a DSE801 or the RN4072)

I am Real mad at the distributor, but it does work. (waiting to hear back from him, then i will explain more, not sure if i need to warn people, or recommend him yet)

Took +/- 3 hours per battery to charge them.
(I forgot about the UK plug, hehe, Forgot to ask for a US one, Lucky I have a lot of electrical things here, and had an extention that fit for the US)

I picked a Medium cart to start. It, I THINK, was some kind of Cherry. Not great, and of course nothing is marked, except for low to high.
I have some juice I can top them off with, and that helped.
It should get better once i use it more.

The carts seem to leak a bit, but I know thats sort of normal to be wet inside. I have to learn to keep it up or down, not sure yet which way it should rest.
I also had to learn how to hold it in my mouth, I had it to far out i guess, and kept getting the bitter taste from the smoke on my lips, think i got it right now. Took a few trys.

I am/Was a 1.5-2.5 pack a day, and I can see the medium is a bit low for me to start, but thats ok, I am still learning, and playing with it.

Plenty of Smoke, but it does take some getting used to. The smoke is a little different then a regular Smoke. Coughed more then once over doing the Draw 8-o
The Draw is slightly harder, but not alot different.
I have been watching not to over heat the atomizer. It does get luke warm, I can see someone over heating it if they didnt know any better, quickly.

Since it is a 801 Theres no need to write a review, these are the Chevy of E-cigs, its the standard. Now I need a 901 (the Ford :p)

Just thought I would post my very first experiences so others can see what its like. Or remember.
Need to play with my new toy more to get used to it.

If i think of anything else, or something new comes up, I can add to this then.

Steele

Ruby

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2008
Hi Magus

Sounds like you are figuring it out pretty quickly.

I'm also a newbie e-smoker today. Got the mini 901B & am very pleased with it so far all in all. I'm almost an ex heavy smoker;) . Still have a few of the real cigs left but today I only smoked 3 which is AMAZING for me! Not missed them much & each time I tried them again I was thinking - what for? I'll deffo be an e-smoker only soon.

I also found topping off with juice makes a real difference.

Anyway just wanted to wish you good luck.:)

Ruby

ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2008
You are one down or is it up? on me Magus. I have been smoking Marlboro lights (won't say how many a day:oops:).

So how's it going for you today & the other nooobs I wonder??

I got up and nearly lit a ... out of habit. Then decided to start the day with the 901 instead. Seemed much nicer than yesterday. Just lit up a regular now and it is not the pleasure I was thinking it would be. Do they put something in e-cigs that cause real cig aversion I wonder! Very strange!

I like pillboxes Marlboro liquid. 'Like' is a strong word - I mean more that it's acceptable & perhaps I will like it. I like it better than the fags already.

The carts that I ordered with my 901 are okay-ish in the main...tried regular cherry, vanilla, apple, yesterday. Will give menthol a try just now. Think of those I like regular & vanilla best. Maybe cherry sometimes, but I would not rush out to buy them tbh. Apple did nowt for me. I'm thinking it might have been wiser for me to just buy plain carts and liquid right from the getgo, but then I'd have been curious all the time. Now I know, for me anyway, that liquid it must be in the future.

Anyone know if there are liquid PG free brands out there? , getting a tad worried about PG as it seems there is very little about how we actually metabolise it. I'm not convinced it is harmless, but just my thoughts.

Good luck with everything Midnight & Magus...keep us posted on how it goes.:)

convert

Sep 3, 2008
Near Leeds UK
Good post.

I've been using a 901 for about 7 weeks now and haven't had the urge to go back to 'hot ones'. I've definitely overdosed on vapour - it's sooo easy as the mini cig is always ready. In the UK there was a commercial for small cigars called Hamlet. The tag line was 'That Hamlet moment' for when you got that really great feeling from a lungfull of smoke. I've found I get a Hamlet moment a couple of times a day so it could be that e-gigs are more addictive than hot ones - but who cares :)

Good luck and persevere, it's worth it

convert

Sep 3, 2008
Near Leeds UK
:D.....Convert I loved that 'Hamlet' moment - I thought that was hysterically funny! :lol:

Glad to know you are still having Hamlet moments 7 weeks down the line.
Good stuff. What carts are you hamletting with if you don't mind me asking?

I get my carts from miniciggy.com but don't know the brand. They are cheap but the type changes from batch to batch. At the moment, I've got ones with a dark plastic attachment to the atomiser - these are mostely good as they seem to be a bit overfilled with juice:D

There does seem to be a bit of a problem with quality control however as I've had about 3 duds so far in this batch of 50.

Johnson Creek makes PG free juice, just pick it from the drop down before ordering your flavor.
I cant say its Harmless, but the FDA approves it for nightclub fog machines, and ive been inhalling that WithOut nicotine for a LONG time. :D
I have some NonPg juice I have been topping off my cart with, its fine, maybe a touch less smoke, but I cant really tell the difference.

I think the smokes taste different because of the sweet like flavor of the E-cig juice.
The "analog" ones have no sweetness, unless maybe you were all menthol. I had to give menthol up ages ago, got to the point where those made me cough almost constantly.
I have other flavors to try, but till I am totally used to E-cigs in general, I think I will hold off on the more wild flavors. I had a Cherry by accedent at first, and that was awful. It was factory, so Im glad thats gone now, hehe
The guy I bought this from screwed up, and to make up for it he is sending me 10 extra carts, High Marlboro, I think, I am hoping those taste good or at least better. They should be ok.

Its only been a two days for me. I still light up, but instead of every 10 minutes, I can fill the inbetween with the E-cig. I figure if I even cut down by a few packs a week, it will have paid for itself easily.

I was in the Hospital yesterday (mom had surgery, not bad, just on her knee) but we were there all day. I used mine in the waiting room :D I didnt sit and blow smoke rings and be dumb about it, but it helped sitting through 5 hours there. I am not sure if anyone even noticed, but I didnt hear a word, except from my father, who thought Security was going to come in guns a blazeing to throw us out at any moment, hehe

This Is a Pen Style I have. I havent figured out how to get consistant smoke yet. I get Coughing volumes one time, and just enough to notice the next. It may have to do with the fact I am being real careful not to over heat the Atomizer. Its my belief, thats what is killing them so quickly for some people. We shall see if it helps mine.
Also, I will be ordering more batteries as soon as i can. These work great on this one, but they discharge pretty quickly. I would say I get 3 maybe 4 good hours out of it, and thats not always hitting it hard. Buy that time the cart could use a couple drops anyway. It is still wet, but not really soaked anymore. Again, I try to keep it wet, to help the whole process. It may be overkill right now, but better safe then sorry I think.

Ill keep at it for now, no matter what, I think its cool, fun new toy to play with, and if it gets me to even cut way down on Smokes, its done its job good enough :D

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
Buy that time the cart could use a couple drops anyway. It is still wet, but not really soaked anymore. Again, I try to keep it wet, to help the whole process. It may be overkill right now, but better safe then sorry I think.

That's what I'm doing too. I've got cherry-flavoured liquid which I'm not wild about on its own, but it adds a nice note when used to top up regular cartridges.

Question: how long do you keep using them? Is there a danger that gunk will build up if you do it too often?

I'm planning on washing the filler from time to time and hanging on to the things for as long as possible while trying out different juice flavours.

I was messing with this cart a little this morning.

From what Ive read, and can see, As long as it dosent get smashed in there, or you start to burn/singe it, running it dry, it should last fine.
I plan to save all the carts, just for now.

If you need to totally change the flavor of one, then sure, rinse it out and refill it.
Just make sure the "Cotton" is to the end, where it can reach the Atomizer Mesh, when you put it back together. I saw someone suggest useing a Pin, to "Fluff it up a bit" at the end, if it looks like it needs it. Sounds like a good plan to me.
I would say just watch it. If you watch, you should be able to tell if something isnt right, like a burnt taste, or way less smoke, even though you just filled it, and the batteries are topped off. Again, thats why I am saving all the carts i can, so I always have a spare I can throw in.

I have done A LOT of reading, and even talked to some manufactuers/distributors, I FEEL, like an expert, but Its still a Learning period for everyone I think. These are still pretty new. I think everyone is still working to fully understand the best ways to do everything, to get the best out of their model of choice.

I plan on getting a Fresh/Empty cart/Insert, that has never been filled. Something I want to try out. I worked in Nightclubs my whole life. We used to run PURE water through the Fog machines to clean them from time to time. You fill the tank, and run the pump, With the Heater on, untill the fog comes out clear.
I THINK, it will be an experiment, IF I fill one cart with pure/distilled water, and some Lemon extract (to loosen any oily gunk), it Should do the same thing, or at least extend the time between it Needing cleaning. I havent tryed it Yet, but the theory is sound.
The "Gunk" in general depends on a bunch of things, how hot you run it, do you run it dry, do you let it sit for days, Then pick this one up to use it, letting everything dry in the chamber.
Sort of like a cup of Coke, leave it to long, it gets stale, let it sit in the sun, it gets sticky, keep it in the fridge, it lasts longer, let it dry, you need to scrub the cup to fill it again. Not sure if that made sense to anyone else, the visual seemed to work in my head :D

Thanks Ngax,
The 901 was going to be my second choice.
Once I get the hang of the pen, I am planing to get a good 901b next.

More notes for my log here,
I dont know if its me or what,
I have read that these things can be inconsistant.
It may be the batteries, or me, but I just can not seem to get consistant smoke.
A whisp one time, Lung full the next.
I have noticed one thing, you do not have to "suck a golfball through a garden hose" hehe, pulling so hard you get that "Fish Face"
A long Light draw works just as well.
I wonder one thing, When I hit the E-cig, I draw into my mouth, THEN inhale.
I wonder if you people inhale directly and fully, or inhale secondarily like I do, just a thought. "Things that make you say Hmm" :D

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
Magus ...

Consistency comes with practice. You may think you are drawing the exact same each and every time when you really aren't. I got frustrated myself when I first started. Over the next week or so, I got better, and better, and now, I have the same amount of vapor each and every time (minus the last couple puffs of a batteries life)

I do what you do. I inhale secondarily. I draw the vapor into my mouth, then in to my lungs. No issues. :)

Hope this helps bud! Keep at it ... you'll get the hang of it!

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
@MagusSteele: Did yours come with dates carved on atomizer and batteries?
You happen to know where I could get a black atomizer for this?
I think liquid getting outside on this one might actually be a good thing. Just shake it a bit or take the mouthpiece out and rotate it and you'll get thicker clouds if you want. I'm not exactly sure what causes the hard draw but if you take the cart out and leave it like that, it should get better.

I did notice that there are 2 slots on eather side of the atomizer, that, of course, seem to go with the grooves on the cartridges.

Took me a while to find my loop.
The 2 batteries are marked 2008,01,15
The atomizer is marked 2008,02,25

Does the date matter? besides for returns? dont think i can or will return anything, the guy i bought from is not reliable. At least I dont think he is. One thing, English is NOT his first language by any stretch.

I know i saw Puresmoker had a post about all black now, and i know e-tasteytreats and others all sell black parts now. You just have to check on your favorite sellers sites, and email them too, sometimes they eather have, or can drop ship special colors, (limited colors)

jigtg

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2008
Sparta, Greece
I don't think it really matters much. And you can't do much about it anyway.
The one I got was apparently pulled off the manufacturing line on the same week as it was shipped. There was a slip with date and "QC passed" text or something like that. My batteries are marked 2008 03 20 and 2008 02 01. Atomizer is marked 2008 02 25. Funny. Same thing with reliability here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread