I broke the unbreakable

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Not posting this to bash Provape or the Provari as Im a huge fan of both. Im also an experienced vaper with several years under my belt .Im posting this in the hopes that it helps others avoid the same costly mistake that I just made.

A few weeks ago I bought some Sony VT5s from RTDVapor after hearing people rave about them.

They wont work in a Provari 2.5 because theyre flat top batteries.So I bought a couple of flat top battery adapters like the one pictured below.

flat.JPG

I thought it would be a lot safer than using magnets (which you should never do because they can move and short out)

Turns out thats not the only thing I needed to be worried about.

Had a few drinks last night (okay well more than a few) and put a fresh Sony Vtc5 into my zombie edition Provari....backwards....like an idiot and hit the fire button.

My Provari got hot, I heard a sizzling sound and smelled burnt electronics so I quickly unscrewed the 18650 extension cap and tossed the battery into the grass outside my back door.

Battery was fine.(Im still disposing of it.)

The chip inside my 2 year vapiversary gift to myself is shot however.

I know this is pretty long but the take away from this is dont use those battery adapters.If your not paying attention you can easily put them on the negative pole of the battery and cause the same stupid short I did.

Provaris have built in protection for putting your batteries in backwards. If you put an AW in there the wrong way (which Ive done many times) it just wont fire. Ask any other Provari owner and they will tell you the exact same thing.

That adapter over rode that protection and Im damned lucky I didnt get hurt or hurt someone else in the process.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
Happy to be... Not Smoking!!!
Not posting this to bash Provape or the Provari as Im a huge fan of both. Im also an experienced vaper with several years under my belt .Im posting this in the hopes that it helps others avoid the same costly mistake that I just made.

A few weeks ago I bought some Sony VT5s from RTDVapor after hearing people rave about them.

They wont work in a Provari 2.5 because theyre flat top batteries.So I bought a couple of flat top battery adapters like the one pictured below.

View attachment 501466

I thought it would be a lot safer than using magnets (which you should never do because they can move and short out)

Turns out thats not the only thing I needed to be worried about.

Had a few drinks last night (okay well more than a few) and put a fresh Sony Vtc5 into my zombie edition Provari....backwards....like an idiot and hit the fire button.

My Provari got hot, I heard a sizzling sound and smelled burnt electronics so I quickly unscrewed the 18650 extension cap and tossed the battery into the grass outside my back door.

Battery was fine.(Im still disposing of it.)

The chip inside my 2 year vapiversary gift to myself is shot however.

I know this is pretty long but the take away from this is dont use those battery adapters.If your not paying attention you can easily put them on the negative pole of the battery and cause the same stupid short I did.

Provaris have built in protection for putting your batteries in backwards. If you put an AW in there the wrong way (which Ive done many times) it just wont fire. Ask any other Provari owner and they will tell you the exact same thing.

That adapter over rode that protection and Im damned lucky I didnt get hurt or hurt someone else in the process.
The only good news here might be...

When you send it in for repair, ask for the P3 top upgrade.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Sad news about your Zombie Provari. :cry:

This is kinda why Provape was so adament about using only button top batteries in the older Provari's, as this was the reverse battery protection design.

My guess is you won't mind putting out the $65 or so to get your favorite mod back in order again. Thanks for posting this for others.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
VTC4s and 5s are good batteries... If you buy a "new" VTC5 it's over a year old already because SONY no longer makes them... So why put a mod at risk to use a shelf-aged product that the manufacturer doesn't recommend?

It's public knowledge, verified by SONY that these cells are no longer made. Yet they keep popping up as "new". And reports of their return to manufacturing them show up on the forums and facebook groups.

Your choice in buying a VTC5 are as follows: New Old Stock, or Counterfeit.

http://batterybro.com/blogs/18650-w...07-warning-sony-vtc5s-sold-today-are-all-fake

https://www.powerstream.com/sony-vtc-availability-letter.htm

element77

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2012
Atl, Ga
Whether or not my vtc5's are fakes or more than a year old is debatable. But that debate really doesn't interest me. I put more stress on my laptop battery pack and it is the same vtc's inside. I just replaced that pack a few months ago, so by this logic that pack is also over a year old, why put my laptop at risk?
I don't believe any battery over a year old suddenly puts my mod at risk either.

I do know, of all my batteries 4's,5's, Samsung 25R's, and others, I get the longest vape time at around 18watts using the 5's
If I want an initial hotter vape the 4's do that for the first 30min of use, its nice at times, but mah is a bit less. I purchase from RTDvapor. Could it be Sony doesn't "officially" make them so they can regain control of their distribution chains and finally put this e-cig craze to rest? Indeed they were never intended for single cell use, but power packs and OEM sales are what they were intended

We all have to do our own research to the best of our ability and decide on what matches our experience. Thanks for the links Zen.

https://www.imrbatteries.com/blog/whats-the-deal-with-the-sony-vtc5/

http://www.kidneypuncher.com/18650-battery-tests/

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Yes, there are authentic VTC5s that are NOS finding their way into the market recently, and yes there are rumors of them coming back into production.

BUT... NOS cells becoming available is not the same thing as the battery coming back into production. That is what we call wishful thinking. We WANT it to be true...

But it probably isn't true.

A SONY rep at the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas told me, to my face, that the VTC 5 was never intended to sell as in individual cell, and was for use in packs ONLY, and that the last cells rolled off the line in 2013. I was told this in January of 2015.

I would think that SONY has better things to do with their time than to perpetuate myths and legends about a battery they no longer use, supply or source JUST to keep vapers away from them.

But yeah, I've heard the rumors too... I don't believe them, but I've heard them.

We are all entitled to believe what we want to believe.

Ipster

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2012
Hawaii, SAR,HongKong (Stanley)
If you are considering a $65 repair plus your S&H...just pick up another 2.5- they're giving them away at $79.
Then you've got a new board, button, cylinder-tube...well i dont need to continue.
I agree with a few others, if you want to buy the BEST tool available doenst it make sense to follow the Manu. directions?
I mean they're (ProVape) not making money as a battery reseller, right?
Please PLEASE discard your flat tops, give them away, or similar.
Im glad you werent hurt- (repeat) the reason the investment was made int he first place for the safest PV in the world.
silly guy...quit trying to make it unsafe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread