I (don't) love my Smok Nords

Status
Not open for further replies.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
When I got my smok Nords a few months ago I created a thread "I love my smok Nords". So everything was fine until about 30 minutes ago when I started to smell a real bad melting smell while at work. When I went for a vape I took out my two Nords and one seemed very hot so I smelled them and sure enough something dangerous was happening to the batteries. I quickly ran outside and threw the two Nords into the street. Now I need to come across a new pod system. This is now two strikes, first my Alien, now the Nords but I won't give myself a chance to get three strikes, that's playing with fire literally.

Last edited:

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
Both failed at the same time?? Were they charging? Did they both have coffee spill on them?

I mean, I'm not defending the Nords or Smok, but identical failure simultaneously to 2 pods just sitting there is a real long shot occurrence.
When I took them both out of my pocket they both smelled like melting. I know that it's very odd but that's what happened and they were just sitting in my pocket indoors.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
When I took them both out of my pocket they both smelled like melting. I know that it's very odd but that's what happened and they were just sitting in my pocket indoors.
If they were both in the same container (your pocket) it is possible only one of them actually melted, the scent of one could have transferred to anything in the pocket. Still really bad though.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
If they were both in the same container (your pocket) it is possible only one of them actually melted, the scent of one could have transferred to anything in the pocket. Still really bad though.
Yeah that's possible because only one of them was very hot. I'm glad that I have many backups at home to go to. The thing I'm not sure about is how to replicate the Nords with a different pod system. I was using 24mg regular nic with the .6 mesh coil and was getting a nice strong hit. Does anyone know which device is similar as far as battery life, output strength & size?

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
It's a shame that naive people keep picking these up despite all the warnings. Folks seem to want to defend Smok to the death (pun intended) or until they experience a scary failure first hand. Smok/Eleaf/Joyetech are all guilty of making shoddy, failure-prone products.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's a shame that naive people keep picking these up despite all the warnings. Folks seem to want to defend Smok to the death (pun intended) or until they experience a scary failure first hand. Smok/Eleaf/Joyetech are all guilty of making shoddy, failure-prone products.

Kind of a broad stroke there. The Eleaf Pico series have been among the most reliable devices of affordable level mods for the last 3-4 years. Smok has major QC issues, but that doesn't paint every other large Chinese manufacturer as suffering the same faults or shoddy products.

Yeah that's possible because only one of them was very hot. I'm glad that I have many backups at home to go to. The thing I'm not sure about is how to replicate the Nords with a different pod system. I was using 24mg regular nic with the .6 mesh coil and was getting a nice strong hit. Does anyone know which device is similar as far as battery life, output strength & size?

That makes sense, they were together, but only one failed. Regardless, I'd lose both of them anyway and get something else. Among many options (check out the pod mod forum for active threads) take a look at the Smoant Pasito and the New Bohr Flask pod as possible replacements. The Pasito even offers an optional RBA if you want to build your own coils, always a nice option to have.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Smok has major QC issues
I wouldn't blame it on the poor suckers working in quality control. Smok have been manufacturing trash for nearly a decade now and I'm fully confident it's intentional.

China can make good stuff, as Geekvape has shown, but never for the bargain basement prices of Smok.

Vicman

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2014
Chicago
Those Nords have really sensitive buttons. I know I burnt out a coil in my pocket before as just leaning against the button in the pocket would fire it. Would almost bet that is what happened. Learned to shut them off when pocketing them. I don't really take them out anymore so not a problem. Been using the Aspire Breeze NXT as my main to go vape lately. Good capacity and battery life with a warmer tighter draw.

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I wouldn't blame it on the poor suckers working in quality control. Smok have been manufacturing trash for nearly a decade now and I'm fully confident it's intentional.

China can make good stuff, as Geekvape has shown, but never for the bargain basement prices of Smok.
IDK if I totally agree. The geekvape frenzy can be had for under 20 USD, coils are cheaper, and is only slightly less powerful DTL, but at the benefit of regulated power output, and the MTL coils have TC.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
IDK if I totally agree. The geekvape frenzy can be had for under 20 USD, coils are cheaper, and is only slightly less powerful DTL, but at the benefit of regulated power output, and the MTL coils have TC.
Well perhaps "never" was an overstatement. I figure they've slashed the price on that one since they're trying to bust into the pod market pretty late in the game. And pods follow the razor blade model anyway, where the money is in the consumables.

Reactions: stols001

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
Well perhaps "never" was an overstatement. I figure they've slashed the price on that one since they're trying to bust into the pod market pretty late in the game. And pods follow the razor blade model anyway, where the money is in the consumables.
For most manufacturer, yeah, but the Flint coils have been that cheap since the frenzy came out, to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I just don't know how your budget is. But I shy away from pods, whatever kind they are because of non replaceable batteries. I prefer to deal with a Bantam Box, regulated output and real batteries, plus a friendly size. Come on over to the SXK Billet Box Thread and let me show you around. Plus, when you're ready, there are some posh rebuildables too. I can't phantom why people love pods.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2019
London

Absolutely right. Designing and manufacturing a crud product isn't the same thing as crud quality control.

And China yeah they can make good stuff. When a car manufacturer starts removing failing parts from their warranty it becomes the car companies fault not the Chinese company making the parts. It just means the car company don't want to pay more for a better part, and yet we blame China.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I have a friend who heads up design at the worlds biggest flashlight factory and he said there are two ways things go out the doors at a chinese factory. One is through a log jam of quality control inspectors who toss literally 80% of the products in a receptacle for refurbish or waste. The other whizzes out the door to trucks to carry to the packaging facitilty nearby with only an occasional one inspected. Say 10%. He said they make things so quickly and inexpensively it is amazing how much many are not up to proper design standards. They high QC companies can still make a profit even though the majority never make it out the door he said.

He has his own flashlight company but bought a 2 car garage sized building and some tools to make his products. He hires a few people to run the tools and after assembly of a certain number they halt production and check every single one before packaging them.

EIHYPI

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2017
I decided to look into getting the Geekvape Bident Pod system. It has a very nice look, decent battery life, holds a lot of juice and comes in nice colors. What I'm not sure if I should buy a replacement pack of pods in 0.6 or 1.2 ohms. In the nords I used 24mg regular nic (0.6 ohm mesh coil) and would like to use this juice in the Bident. What would you recommend?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I decided to look into getting the Geekvape Bident Pod system. It has a very nice look, decent battery life, holds a lot of juice and comes in nice colors. What I'm not sure if I should buy a replacement pack of pods in 0.6 or 1.2 ohms. In the nords I used 24mg regular nic (0.6 ohm mesh coil) and would like to use this juice in the Bident. What would you recommend?
Does it come with 1 of each? Pod kits usually do. Try it out then order I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread