I have a question about batteries for tube mod from madvapes. Tube mod requires

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessiesmile

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2011
NE Arkansas
single 18650 battery or two 16340s (for 6v) I have learned only "protected" batteries should be used, and I found some on amazon, but have no idea what is the best brand for pv.
Please I need advise on the best place to buy batteries, and charger that are compatible, I am overwhelmed once again..:blink:.
I am having a terrible time finding something that will equal my 5v passthrough that is portable.
I bought two different ego batts, was considering the epower, but it (EPOWER) only allows one voltage, and I think the higher volt option would suit me better, (of course my mind changes everyday, as I read more and MORE ) I find myself drawing so deeply on the ego's that it is making my jaw pop! I just love the way my 5v makes the carto sizzle and fills my mouth with vapor, almost like a "real" smoke, with out the looonngg pull.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Last edited:

Chessiesmile

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 31, 2011
NE Arkansas
Thanks for the heads up on batts, but I didn't see a charger for them?
On the site it states :
WARNING :These IMR cells have much lower internal resistance than regular LiIon 3.7V cells and they may end up with a higher ending voltage when charged in certain chargers ( especially an older version WF-139 charger ). Please check the voltage of them right out of the charger to see if they are above 4.20V when fully charged with your charger. Overcharging above 4.25V may shorten life/cycles. Above 4.50V may even pop them or making them leak. DO NOT use the charger if it seems to overcharge IMR cells. What??

So what charger?? Will one charger charge both the 3.7 and 3.0 volt batteries? and should I get something to "check" the batteries after charging? If so WHAT? I do NOT understand all these numbers...
How will I know when to remove them without them being "fully discharged"? I usually find out my ego's are in need of charging, when they little light goes "blinky-blink" and no more power. That would damage these batteries it seems. I feel very out of my league here...:confused:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello,
Go back to the site where you are looking at batteries and look for chargers....they usually list what the charger will charge. You want the ones that will charge both 3.7 and 3.0 batts they have a switch on them to switch between the two ..Ultrafire makes them I think....when battery is charging the light is red and turns green when charged...
:)

I found the charger you need and the batts are a little cheaper..

http://www.lighthound.com/Ultrafire-36-volt-or-3-volt-RCR123-Lithium-Battery-Charger_p_2270.html
http://www.lighthound.com/AW-LiFePO4-3-Volt-Lithium-Rechargeable-Battery_p_112.html

Last edited:

mynameisrob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
PH-Illadelph-IA, PA
If the tube mod your getting is unregulated you def want aw high- drain batteries. You won't notice the power drop as much with the high-drain batteries bc they stay more constant.
Check out super T manufacturing or rtdvapor.com. They both have a lot of AW batteries and good chargers.
The TR-001 charger can charge most batteries and alot of people use them, make sure it can charge the batteries you want tho. If you can afford it the Pila charger is really nice but is like $45 bucks. You can get the TR-001 for like $10-15.
With all batteries you shouldn't let them go all the way till they die. You can over discharge them. I'd recOmmend switching to a new battery when they get to about 25% left. Your batteries will last longer if you do that.
With the AW high-drains, like I said they stay pretty constant as the battery drains, but then when it's almost dead they drop off very quickly. If you go on super T manufacturing website, under their pictures, they have graphs that show you what I'm talking about with how they drain, and it might make more sense. So like I said, if you charge them at 25% left, you'll avoid that sharp drop off at the end.

You said how will you know when to charge them so they don't fully discharge. I'd recommend buying a digital multimeter. Their cheap and a good thing to have. Many can do volts and resistance, so you could check your batteries as well as all your attys/cartos to make sure their at the resistance they should be and you'd also be able to catch new ones that are DOA. I just got one and their very easy to use. Madvapes sell one for like $10-15 bucks.
I don't know if you use EBay but you can buy the exact same one that madvapes sells for about $4, and there's free shipping. It comes from china, but I thought it came pretty fast. Mine came in yesterday. I think mine took alittle under 2 weeks I think, about 10 days. Then you can easily check your batteries and see what volt their at, so you'd know when to charge them

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If you want your "portable" PV (personal vaporizer) to provide the same warm vapor, throat hit, consistency and long battery life as your pass through, then you need to get either a 5 volt PV or a variable volt PV. The ego, Riva, E-Power are only 3.4 volt to 3.7 volt models. They cannot produce 5 volt output like your PT no matter what battery you put in them, even an AW. Here are three good options to get you what you are looking for:

1. A 5 volt box mod. Inexpensive and not very stylish but if built by a reputable supplier will do the trick. Here is a reputable supplier: Kens Boxmods

2. the 5 volt GLV2: this is one of the best 5 volt PV's on the market. It has a large number of satisfied customers and comes with a lifetime warranty. Very well built. Here is where you get it: Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor

3. Power regulated, variable wattage Darwin: The Darwin provides the ultimate in consistent vaping, long battery life (21 - 35 hours), nice warm vapor and flexibility as you can set it to vape from 3.7 volts to about 7.4 volts depending on the carto/atomizer you are using. Here is where you get it: Nhaler

Good Luck

Last edited:

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Super T Manufacturing should have batteries and chargers. Look for a charger that will handle both of your sizes. I believe the Trustfire TR001 charger will do both sizes you mentioned.

And when you buy batteries make sure the picture shows they have the bump/nipple on the positive end. Mods generally don't want the ones that are flat on both ends.

Or if you get something from boxmods.net, Ken sells batteries and chargers for his mods.

Last edited:

JQside

ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2011
Canada
One thing that hasn't been discussed is the ohm rating on what carto you are using. If you are using a standard ohm carto around 2.5 ohms with your 5v pass through, you might try a low resistance 1.6 ohm dual coil carto at 3.7V.

Yes. Cartos that are sold in most online stores are of the low resistance/dual coil types. I rarely find 4-5 ohm cartos. The highest I've seen is 3.2 ohm and it's the same price as the LRs. I've got a vv box mod and I never use a 5V setting. If I use anything higher than 3.7V the battery doesn't last long and I could hear the liquid being fried when set in a higher setting.

;-)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
.......And when you buy batteries make sure the picture shows they have the bump/nipple on the positive end. Mods generally don't want the ones that are flat on both ends.

Or if you get something from boxmods.net, Ken sells batteries and chargers for his mods.

You can use the high drain batteries without the "bump", you just have to use them with a "spacer" that Ken provides for free with his high drain batteries.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
If you want your "portable" PV (personal vaporizer) to provide the same warm vapor, throat hit, consistency and long battery life as your pass through, then you need to get either a 5 volt PV or a variable volt PV. .....

1. A 5 volt box mod. Inexpensive and not very stylish but if built by a reputable supplier will do the trick. Here is a reputable supplier: Kens Boxmods

Good Luck

Great advice, but I would take exception to boxmods not being stylish!! :)
A well designed box, small, fits in the palm of your hand, button placed so your thumb hits it naturally,
connector where it hits your mouth without thinking.....and gives you the effect of a 5v PT
ahhhhh vaping nirvina!!!

Not looking anything like a cigarette is very stylish for me...YMMV...:)

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Great advice, but I would take exception to boxmods not being stylish!! :)
A well designed box, small, fits in the palm of your hand, button placed so your thumb hits it naturally,
connector where it hits your mouth without thinking.....and gives you the effect of a 5v PT
ahhhhh vaping nirvina!!!

Not looking anything like a cigarette is very stylish for me...YMMV...:)

I agree with you but you know some on here are so concerned about what others think about appearance. Not having your PV look anything like the real thing is a big plus for the whole vaping community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread