i might as well introduce myself, and a question about eGo batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

allimsayin

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
santa cruz
Depending on the type of actual battery that is in them there are some things you can do to extend the life of them. I am looking into what specific type it it. I suspect that they are Ni-cad. Ni-cad batteries do not like to be left in chargers. They do not like to be only partially discharged and then recharged. You should use them till the are almost dead. Then you should charge them up fully and remove them from the charger. If you keep letting it only partially discharge it will develop a memory and when it hit the memory spot it will just suddenly go dead. Other things that improve their life is keeping them cool. Quick charges will use them up quicker than a slow charge.

Lithium Ion and Ni-mh batteries are not as picky as a Ni-cad.

Also keep the contacts clean and free from contaminants. They can cause a short over time or a bad connection.
I know this because was a Ham Radio operator and and Electronics tech. If you are a Ham you become a Battery Guru or you spend a lot more on batteries which can get old.
Hope this helps.

FYI all Ecig users should become battery savvy. It will save you money.

I'm careful with how I charge my laptop, since the battery is difficult to replace. I never thought about taking the same care with this battery. I am rotating between batteries, do that will help. I will make sure to drain them down before recharging. thank you for the reminder

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I happen to be friends with some of the vendors that sell "cheap ego clones" and I can tell you for a fact that these "clones" are among the least returned products that come from China (almost all ecig products come from China btw - Ruyan, a Chinese company, created the modern ecig and started the ecig revolution in 2004). Please stop associating name brands (an American concept) with China (who copies everything and what matters to them is outproducing and outselling, not outnaming each other). Their laws are different than ours and our rules don't apply to them. On that subject, I have seen posts about Provaris dying in just 1 day. Name brands are meaningless in the world of vape. Even if the four EGO batteries you have were claimed to be legitimate Joyetechs (in your eyes) there is no way to prove it. This is exactly what I am talking about.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provape/281673-my-provari-dead-after-1-day.html

To answer the OP's question, a Lithium Ion battery (which all EGO type PV's contain) is recommended by the manufacturer to be replaced after 300 charges. At this point most Lithium Ion batteries will permanently lose maximum voltage output (on average about .1v). Because these batteries require a safety circuit that prevents overcharging (past 4.2 volts, which results in fire and venting) they recommend you replace them at this time because they don't want to take a chance that you will burn your house down and possibly lose your life in the process. 300 charges. I charge my 2 batteries every other day so that's 1 year 8 months. With one battery charging every day it's about 10 months.

If anyone reading this would like a crash course on batteries and safety please click the link below to the Vaper's Handbook and reference "Batteries 101" (hit Control+F to do a quick find). TYVM.

Did you finish reading the post about the ProVape being dead? It wasn't. You are taking a "headline" and not reading the whole story.

I charge my eGo's 3 to 4 times per day, I use them a LOT. I suppose if you are a casual user such as yourself, instead of a vape junky like me the eGo's would work a year for you. I just need more time vaping and less time charging. I LOVE my eGo and will continue to use it and recommend it as it is the best SO FAR I have found for the price. I am sure the next great thing is right around the corner though LOL

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I have Joye eGos, BetterLife "eGos", and kGos...they all work well. Personally, I'm rather fond of the BetterLife ones. They are a bit smaller in size than the Joyes but hold their charge a bit longer, and are very reliable. The Joye eGo and the SLB kGo are pretty much equal, but to me the kGo "feels" more substantial and sturdy. Just my experience, of course. I rotate all my batteries...I have a couple dozen+. Tend to use the KR808 threaded X2 (or similar like the Go-Go) "big batteries" the most as they hold the charge best of all, and while one has to watch the battery post more closely and keep on top of cleaning them more than one does with the 510 threading...they are more "work horses". They produce well, are durable and have a good "punch" to their vapor production. YMMV. There is something good to be said about all the units I now own. I have the Twist, also...and a kGo VV that should arrive today (a replacement for one that didn't work that I got last week). I also have an E2 Apollo 900 mAh coming...maybe Monday. I enjoy trying out different things. And having lots of batteries helps extend the life of them all!

Brand names don't really impress me. If something works, and works well...that is all I care about.

X P3 Flight Engineer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 27, 2012
Moncton, N.B. Canada
Did you finish reading the post about the ProVape being dead? It wasn't. You are taking a "headline" and not reading the whole story.

I charge my eGo's 3 to 4 times per day, I use them a LOT.
I suppose if you are a casual user such as yourself, instead of a vape junky like me the eGo's would work a year for you. I just need more time vaping and less time charging. I LOVE my eGo and will continue to use it and recommend it as it is the best SO FAR I have found for the price. I am sure the next great thing is right around the corner though LOL

I have been trying to understand the math involved when you are charging eGos so much. What size are they? how long do they vape between charges? and how long do they take to charge?

It would seem to me that you must be charging more than one at the same time and also possibly vaping more than one at the same time! Lol There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day for what you are doing.

Just curious.

allimsayin

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
santa cruz
I have Joye eGos, BetterLife "eGos", and kGos...they all work well. Personally, I'm rather fond of the BetterLife ones. They are a bit smaller in size than the Joyes but hold their charge a bit longer, and are very reliable. The Joye eGo and the SLB kGo are pretty much equal, but to me the kGo "feels" more substantial and sturdy. Just my experience, of course. I rotate all my batteries...I have a couple dozen+. Tend to use the KR808 threaded X2 (or similar like the Go-Go) "big batteries" the most as they hold the charge best of all, and while one has to watch the battery post more closely and keep on top of cleaning them more than one does with the 510 threading...they are more "work horses". They produce well, are durable and have a good "punch" to their vapor production. YMMV. There is something good to be said about all the units I now own. I have the Twist, also...and a kGo VV that should arrive today (a replacement for one that didn't work that I got last week). I also have an E2 Apollo 900 mAh coming...maybe Monday. I enjoy trying out different things. And having lots of batteries helps extend the life of them all!

Brand names don't really impress me. If something works, and works well...that is all I care about.

is there a reason that you have not gone with something like the provari or the lavotube?

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
is there a reason that you have not gone with something like the provari or the lavotube?

I think it's mostly because I tend to be a bit fickle about colors/shapes/types. I am not much on being locked into one "look". Okay...call it a "girl thing" or whatever. But I like variety. One day...maybe....I'll think about a Provari. Oh...and I do have a LavaTube. I don't use it a whole lot. The reason for that (and my lack of a Provari) was covered in another thread. It boils down to the fact over many months and much experimenting, I've got my opinions on what voltage I like and what delivery system. I DIY my own juice...and only vape ONE flavor. A flavor that was specifically created and tested with a 3.6 regulated volt battery (my favorite type) and a specific ohm range of cartomizers (tanks and I don't get along...but I sure tried to make it work. For months. Sometimes you just have to realize some relationships are simply not going to pan out). I don't "need" variable voltage because I don't really USE the feature. To go up in volts (or down) changes the flavor of a juice created especially for MY tastes, and is Perfect for me. IMHO. Of course...it's fun to dabble with VV. Thus the LT (which is okay...but just okay) and why I got the Twist and the kGo VV. The latter two are lower cost end and gives me a chance to play a little and see how it goes. Not worth it to me to get a Provari at this point. Like I said maybe sometime in the future. Or not. There are plenty of people who'd appreciate it's charms more than I would at this stage of my vaping journey.

allimsayin

Verified Member
Aug 28, 2012
santa cruz
I think it's mostly because I tend to be a bit fickle about colors/shapes/types. I am not much on being locked into one "look". Okay...call it a "girl thing" or whatever. But I like variety. One day...maybe....I'll think about a Provari. Oh...and I do have a LavaTube. I don't use it a whole lot. The reason for that (and my lack of a Provari) was covered in another thread. It boils down to the fact over many months and much experimenting, I've got my opinions on what voltage I like and what delivery system. I DIY my own juice...and only vape ONE flavor. A flavor that was specifically created and tested with a 3.6 regulated volt battery (my favorite type) and a specific ohm range of cartomizers (tanks and I don't get along...but I sure tried to make it work. For months. Sometimes you just have to realize some relationships are simply not going to pan out). I don't "need" variable voltage because I don't really USE the feature. To go up in volts (or down) changes the flavor of a juice created especially for MY tastes, and is Perfect for me. IMHO. Of course...it's fun to dabble with VV. Thus the LT (which is okay...but just okay) and why I got the Twist and the kGo VV. The latter two are lower cost end and gives me a chance to play a little and see how it goes. Not worth it to me to get a Provari at this point. Like I said maybe sometime in the future. Or not. There are plenty of people who'd appreciate it's charms more than I would at this stage of my vaping journey.

this idea appeals to me very much. at some point when i find the path that i want to take, i really want to DIY my own juice. i still just have not found the perfect setup yet.

vsummer1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2012
California
I have been trying to understand the math involved when you are charging eGos so much. What size are they? how long do they vape between charges? and how long do they take to charge?

It would seem to me that you must be charging more than one at the same time and also possibly vaping more than one at the same time! Lol There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day for what you are doing.

Just curious.

They are 900 MAH, I have two Twists. I am using a stardust/equinox SR. I vape, it blinks, I charge while I vape the other. Or I put it down and use my AW IMR 18490's on the ProVari at 4.4 v with an SR boge which last me a few hours more than the eGo's do. I end up changing them out at least twice per day, usually in the morning and the afternoon then again in the evening. I don't like to take those batteries below 3.6ish. I am using both the Twist and the ProVari, they have different flavors so as the mood strikes I vape on one or the other. I chain vape. I go through 2 tanks on my regular Phiniac and fill the little stardust up at least twice per day. I also use 2 vivi novas which I fill at least once a day. For instance, I left the house about an hour and a half ago to come to town and am at the condo. I filled the stardust before I left it is now half gone. I also used the ProVari and vaped out of it in the car.

I vape a LOT of juice. It was actually MORE when I was using only 12 mg, then I never put them down.

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I got my kGo VV just a couple of hours ago. Been working it out some. So far VERY IMPRESSED. I'm not a VV fan for the most part...but I can see me becoming quite fond of this piece of equipment. I have disliked using 1.5 dual coils on just about everything I had to date because it would start running too hot. Yuck. But on the kGo VV...on a nice low voltage...doesn't seem to heat up as bad as it does on the Twist. Very good...considering I went and invested in a couple of boxes of EMDCCs before realizing that they wouldn't work out with the equipment I had. But they seem fine on the kGo VV now. This is good. Very solid little VVPV this kGo....and you can charge while vaping. Not exactly a passthrough (you have to have SOME charge on the battery to be able to vape plugged in) But it works fine and charges FAST. KGO V.V. 650mAh

So I'll revise my somewhat low opinion of VV now. Maybe I have some use for it more than I thought!

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Glad you're liking it. I don't usually buy first gen anything but I've been so impressed with my Kgo I thought I walk out on a limb and I'm really lovin' the Kgo VV. Surprised at the accuracy of the voltage and the strength of the vape. Time will tell but so far a very impressive PV for the price.

I got my kGo VV just a couple of hours ago. Been working it out some. So far VERY IMPRESSED. I'm not a VV fan for the most part...but I can see me becoming quite fond of this piece of equipment. I have disliked using 1.5 dual coils on just about everything I had to date because it would start running too hot. Yuck. But on the kGo VV...on a nice low voltage...doesn't seem to heat up as bad as it does on the Twist. Very good...considering I went and invested in a couple of boxes of EMDCCs before realizing that they wouldn't work out with the equipment I had. But they seem fine on the kGo VV now. This is good. Very solid little VVPV this kGo....and you can charge while vaping. Not exactly a passthrough (you have to have SOME charge on the battery to be able to vape plugged in) But it works fine and charges FAST. KGO V.V. 650mAh

So I'll revise my somewhat low opinion of VV now. Maybe I have some use for it more than I thought!

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand

I haven't been interested in vv before. I am really quite happy with the X2s - as you said before they are workhorses, and they are nice aesthetically too. But... the KGO vv has me interested as something to try out. The twist never really interested me. So far from what people have said the KGO sounds better. Holds at 6 volts, and better increments to increase the voltage. LED display too. Methinks I'll get a KGO to try out. By the time it gets to NZ it'll be close to my 6 month anniversary and I had planned to get something different just to celebrate. I had thought a mod - but might save that for the 1 year anniversary. Thanks for posting your experience with the KGO.

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    As stated, depends on many factors. I have egos and Rivas that are still working after almost 2 years (not in constant use) and I have had some of the clones die within 2 days. None of these are the twists, btw. This is why I have gone to mods with replaceable batts, much cheaper in the long run. I have owned at least 10 of the Ego/Riva/clone setups in 2 1/2 years. Could have bought 2 Provari's with that amount. I do love the size of the Ego though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread