I might have to quit vaping after 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

steampoweredheart

Mar 17, 2014
I have been vaping regularly as a smoking alternative (got me off 6yrs of cigs) for about 5 years. 3mg nic all the way with rda's, full kanthal fused claptons, CBP cotton, and usually 70/30 vg/pg juice.
Recently I had my gallbladder removed (26yr male..bs) and I've developed allergies for the first time in my life (also some serious bs). Ever since, vaping has been a burden to say the least. Something I once loved SO much now has me seriously contemplating quitting all together.
Every time I vape I feel incredibly sick. It makes my symptoms noticeably worse especially at night. It's like a solid minute or less after I put my vape down my dry cough gets way worse and more frequent, I get slightly nauseous, head and chest hurts, and just a over all weak/ill/flue like/just smoked a pack of cigs and some 70's ditch weed feeling.
This is really not fair because like I said I LOVE to vape, as most of us do. I used to be able to sub ohm chain vape pretty much any juice and never had a single problem. but finding juice I can tolerate is near impossible now and I can't keep wasting money on juice I can't use. Even juice I can tolerate isn't necessarily good and the way it makes me feel just isn't worth it anymore *cries quietly*..
I've gone from dual FC coils to a single FC, turned wattage way down (that's obviously not the issue) and even considered going 0mg but it's coming down to not being able to inhale at all..your boy got the Clinton curse over night and I'm so sad man.
Never thought it would happen like this. If I ever did quit I always thought it would be in my control but it's looking like that wont be the case at all. This might soon be the end for me boys and girls. Wish me luck. And if you pass me on the street, blow a cloud to my back please, as the smell and sight might break my already black and blue heart...or make me sick evidently :(
*quiet crying intensifies* lol :/

Disclaimer:: this is not to say vaping makes you sick in anyway because that's so not true. This is my own personal experience. That makes no sense to me whatsoever honestly..vaping saved my life and the lives of many many other smokers. This is not intended to put vaping in any sort of bad light at all.
I'm just curious if anyone knows what's going on, can relate in any way, or has any suggestions.

Reactions: Mobc1990

steampoweredheart

Mar 17, 2014
Try googling 'allergy or sensitivity to PG (propylene glycol)' and see if the symptoms match yours. You could try a 100% VG liquid and see if that helps.

Just had extensive allergy testing done and was honestly really hoping it was pg..but not even a slight irritation. Apparently I'm allergic to freakin neosporin and other super random things but not even slightly bothered by pg. Would have at least been a simple answer so I was pretty disappointed.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2009
NE Ohio
Hmmm, can you be sensitive without being full-blown allergic? I do not know. I would still try a 100% VG liquid just to see. If you are still seeing these symptoms, well, cross that bridge when you get to it.

edited to add: you can add a little bit of distilled water to a VG-based liquid to thin it a bit, if you find it's too thick.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I have been vaping regularly as a smoking alternative (got me off 6yrs of cigs) for about 5 years. 3mg nic all the way with rda's, full kanthal fused claptons, CBP cotton, and usually 70/30 vg/pg juice.
Recently I had my gallbladder removed (26yr male..bs) and I've developed allergies for the first time in my life (also some serious bs). Ever since, vaping has been a burden to say the least. Something I once loved SO much now has me seriously contemplating quitting all together.
Every time I vape I feel incredibly sick. It makes my symptoms noticeably worse especially at night. It's like a solid minute or less after I put my vape down my dry cough gets way worse and more frequent, I get slightly nauseous, head and chest hurts, and just a over all weak/ill/flue like/just smoked a pack of cigs and some 70's ditch weed feeling.
This is really not fair because like I said I LOVE to vape, as most of us do. I used to be able to sub ohm chain vape pretty much any juice and never had a single problem. but finding juice I can tolerate is near impossible now and I can't keep wasting money on juice I can't use. Even juice I can tolerate isn't necessarily good and the way it makes me feel just isn't worth it anymore *cries quietly*..
I've gone from dual FC coils to a single FC, turned wattage way down (that's obviously not the issue) and even considered going 0mg but it's coming down to not being able to inhale at all..your boy got the Clinton curse over night and I'm so sad man.
Never thought it would happen like this. If I ever did quit I always thought it would be in my control but it's looking like that wont be the case at all. This might soon be the end for me boys and girls. Wish me luck. And if you pass me on the street, blow a cloud to my back please, as the smell and sight might break my already black and blue heart...or make me sick evidently :(

Disclaimer:: this is not to say vaping makes you sick in anyway because that's so not true. This is my own personal experience. That makes no sense to me whatsoever honestly..vaping saved my life and the lives of many many other smokers. This is not intended to put vaping in any sort of bad light at all.
I'm just curious if anyone knows what's going on, can relate in any way, or has any suggestions.
Hi mate,
IMO, build a simple SS 316 round wire MTL set up at ~1Ω. If you only have DTL toppers, then get a proper restricted MTL RDA/RTA.
Switch to unflavored
Double your nicotine content and DO NOT inhale, DO NOT swallow the vapor. Pull the vapor into your mouth, pause and exhale through your nose and mouth. (like a pipe or cigar).

HTH
I

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI

This might have been suggested already but cut your PG% and see how it goes. Are you on any Rx. pain medication? This is, of course, anecdotal but; I find that I get nic-sick waaaaay faster when I vape and I'm on pain meds.

VapingMattCA

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
West Palm Beach, FL
I am not at doctor but have yours order a 5 sample saliva cortisol test. Cortisol is needed to regulate the immune system/inflammation. Too much is not good but too little is not good either. Also should consider a full thyroid panel. You may want to stop vaping completely for a few months and then ease into it. The juice you use should be DIYed so you can control what is in it and it is much cheaper to DIY than buy it already made.

• Agree
Reactions: DaveOno

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
One suggestion I have is to not inhale. Draw the vapor in like an MTL vape then exhale through your nose. You may still enjoy your vape without the coughing. I'm not a doctor just a vaper with a suggestion. Good luck.

Jerry

@Izan beat me to the suggestion as I was typing mine. Great minds think alike.

Jerry

Last edited:

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
Hmmm, can you be sensitive without being full-blown allergic? I do not know. I would still try a 100% VG liquid just to see. If you are still seeing these symptoms, well, cross that bridge when you get to it.

edited to add: you can add a little bit of distilled water to a VG-based liquid to thin it a bit, if you find it's too thick.

Agree. I notice he says when buying different eliquids that some are more problematic than others. This would suggest flavourings?

no doc. Best of luck

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Hello @steampoweredheart, you may be having a reaction to additives (flavourings, sweeteners and others) in the liquids you've been using.

Have you tried using a plain base (PG, VG or PG/VG) with Nicotine, if you go unflavoured you can always introduce different additives one at a time slowly and find out what may be causing the issues hopefully.

I know that I myself cannot use any liquid with melon flavorings, without getting a really bad throat irritation and or infection.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there

Hi mate,
IMO, build a simple SS 316 round wire MTL set up at ~1Ω. If you only have DTL toppers, then get a proper restricted MTL RDA/RTA.
Switch to unflavored
Double your nicotine content and DO NOT inhale, DO NOT swallow the vapor. Pull the vapor into your mouth, pause and exhale through your nose and mouth. (like a pipe or cigar).

HTH
I
One suggestion I have is to not inhale. Draw the vapor in like an MTL vape then exhale through your nose. You may still enjoy your vape without the coughing. I'm not a doctor just a vaper with a suggestion. Good luck.

Jerry

@Izan beat me to the suggestion as I was typing mine. Great minds think alike.

Jerry

I so totally agree with the above post. I started vaping just like I smoked as did the rest of ecf. Saw no need to change as my health just continued to improve. Then about 4 months ago I started havlng coughing fits, still not sure why even now but I figured if I could train myself not to inhale I could continue with my vaping. I knew we did Not need to inhale to received the nic into our blood streams as most of it is absorbed through the mouth nose and throat and very little actually reaches the lungs. Every time I picked up my mod, I stopped and said to myself...'Remember not to inhale'. Today its as automatic as inhaling was. The coughing stopped in only a few days but I was getting tired of being a filter for unneeded items being put into my lungs. Still vaping and still loving it......

btw Almost 10 years vaping for me....

:)

Seiggy

ECF Veteran
Feb 1, 2012
Irwin, Pennsylvania
The issue I read was this all occurred after your surgery. It is possible that the anesthesia and/or procedure may be at play here also. Every one reacts differently during any major surgery. It's possible its just a temporary side effect that may resolve itself in a couple of weeks. Had a similar issue for about 1 week after I had a lung biopsy, but I also had tubes down my throat. I was squonking using mesh before the biopsy, but had to do MTL (light draws) for about 1 week and still coughed (but not feeling ill). 1 month total after surgery (normal pains) and I'm now back to squonking with mesh with no issues. Hope things work out for you.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada

IMO, if you can quit vaping do it. And best of luck (and more power) to you :)

I feel if vaping helps you, do it, and if you get past it leave it. I could have left it years ago but vaping has been good to me so far with no negatives so I have stuck with it. But that's just me and if I felt I could have left it with a benefit I would have.

Do what works for you my friend :thumb:

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I have a '97 Wrangler and I often vape while I'm driving. I was going to work and all of the sudden ther was a loud banging noise and the Jeep wouldn't move. I looked under the Jeep and saw the driveshaft had broke. Why did the driveshaft break? Is it because I'm vaping while I'm driving?

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

I'm sorry that that's happening I wish that there was an alternative I would be crushed as well even without nicotine I really enjoy vaping. I would make absolutely certain that what you're experiencing is directly related to vaping I mean by all means it's better to not vape than it is to vape so long as you could stay off cigarettes and other forms of nicotine my concern would be more of the Arena that it's deep breath that's hurting you you just want to make sure that it's vaping related but if you think you can stop vaping it's better to do that than to continue. I hope you figure it out I hope that it's nothing serious

Mobc1990

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2019
Johor Bahru

Hope all is well for you.I find vaping relaxing.After I take my antipsychotic,I felt very unstimulated and difficulty concentrating on simple stuff.Then I chain vape and my thinking is a little clearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread