I need help picking my first ecig setup. I am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Hi, everyone. I purchased a Blu 18mg tobacco flavor disposable last week. I found this forum and have been reading everything I can so I can make a fairly intelligent purchase of my first setup. I intend this to replace my 1.5 to 2pack a day Marlboro Gold 100s nasty cigarette addiction of over 40 years.

The Blu ecig was interesting but I do not think it is what I need to make the switch. I smoke a lot. I am retired so I can chain smoke 24 hours a day if I want. I would like to learn to vape instead.

From my reading here, I thought I wanted a 510 setup, similar to my cigarettes, but the more I read it does not sound like it will do the job. Sounds like I will spend all my time recharging batteries and refilling cartridges. I like the look and feel of a cigarette sized device.

Then I read some about the vv style devices, but they seem very complicated. The Volt also sounded good. The Provari sounded awesome, but it is priced a bit dear.

I figure I spend $50 to $70 dollars a week on cigarettes. I would, of course, like to spend less on vaping, but I do not want to buy crap and I need to enjoy the experience. I also want to try many different flavors. I also am not especially mechanically inclined.

I am very confused but I do want to get started on this now. I intend to be vaping for a long time.

The only two shops I can go to in my area (Nashville, TN) seem to be 510 based products and not a big selection. Should I still go there and start there and trade up later?

Any help you all can offer will be greatly appreciated.:)

Thank you.

Esharp

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2012
London, Ontario
Hi ShariR

I was a 40 year smoker, so I hear ya. IMO, I would get a ego twist variable voltage battery and a vivi nova or a kanger protank. But, before you spend any money, do yourself a favor and search them out on youtube for reviews. I found this to be very helpful for me. You may get other good suggestions here as well, but again, check them out on youtube. Happy vaping.

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Hello there & welcome to ECF! I hope you get tons of info but I suggest starting with an ego twist setup. I'd skip the manual batteries because most people tend to upgrade to VV pretty fast. I suggest getting a kit that has some clearos. Something like viva novas, evods, or kanger protanks. They hold more liquid & you can fill & go. Make sure you order extras or a couple of different types to see what you like best & so that you can switch up your juice throughout the day. It's kinda trial & error when you first get started as far as I've seen since I've started. Make sure whatever kit you go with you get at least 2 batteries & at least 1 charger. That way you can use one while the other is charging if need be. Try juice from several places as well. I'd probably start at at least 24mg if I were you & maybe a bottle of 36 for the tough cravings. Personally, I only buy juice from my local shop as their prices on kits are very high compared to the vendors listed on the forum. If your local place is like the one here they may let you sample some for free!! Good luck & I hope this helps!

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
The kit that was recommended to me to start with was a vision spinner kit - two batteries, two clearo's and a charger for a little under $75. I got 2 X 1300mAh batteries which will last all day as I didn't particularly care how big they were (they aren't huge, but they are much bigger than the cig-a-like batteries you refer to in your post)

I got my kit from my vapor store http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

This is a kit I see recommended over and over again for new vapors - and it is an excellent start for the following reasons.
The batteries are variable voltage, so you can use different ohm heads for your clearos.

The batteries are genuine Vision spinners.
Even when you feel you want to upgrade from them, they make excellent backups
The are somewhat inexpensive.
They are reliable and last around 300 charge cycles (estimated from all the information I have got on here and other websites)
All you need to add to get up and running is juice.

I got some what they call Ego clearomizers with the kit (which are basically CE5's) but knowing what I know now, I would recommend 2 EVODs.

Edit - I know you can buy a less expensive kit than this - esp if you order from fasttech or something. I am only recommending this kit because it's what I got and it worked great. I still use My vapor store for my hardware needs as they offer super fast shipping and excellent service.

Last edited:

cope

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2013
washington state
this is MY opinoin..
you loved to smoke so did i.. the cigalike system to me wasent what i wanted..
you dont want a cheap feeling pv...or a cheap performing device..
well to me to means getting a provari..mini
i love ming and its well made well american quality with a warranty too boot
but it all comes down to cash..willing to hand over 200 bucks..?
if you do i dont think you would be disapointed i wasent..
I LOVED TO SMOKE i dont anymore noe ILOVE TO VAPE :vapor:
think it over look at it read reviews then stand up and enjoy life smoke free..

donwuan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
GA
Im also new(roughly 4-5 weeks vaping) and I understand about the confusion part.

Im Box of Newport shorts kind of guy and smoked maybe 1-1.5 packs per day for roughly 10years. I also started off with Blu and some other brand at gas stations. I can only speak for myself that something the size of Blu wouldnt last me a work day.

My first setup was ego 1000mah battery, about 5 juices, and a few clearomizers. Probably should have gotten a smaller battery to try out first if you dont want to draw attention but the bigger battery lasted me all day for the most part. Since I always forget to put things on the charger before bed I bought me a backup/2nd device. Got use to when taking one off, screw in the other.

510 as far as I can tell is the best/easiest setup. Just about everything is compatible and all the good vendor have easy to follow websites. The regular ego I bought is about the height of a 100 type cigarette but its pretty thick though.

Since most likely your going to smoke even more once you have juices in front of you and I highly recommend getting a 1000mah type battery that can last through the chain smoking. When I first got my equipment I couldnt put the damn thing down the first couple of days. It sucks when the battery drains and without a backup I was stuck with my analogs that I didnt have a taste for anymore.

Ill let everyone point you in the right direction as far as websites. I started off with Mister E website. Ive had the most success with juices and equipment from him.

Premium USA E-Liquid, Electonic Cigarettes and Handcrafted USA E-Juice by Mister-E-Liquid.com

I wasted tons of money on juice that I thought would be similar to what I was vaping. My first lesson learned was everyone taste buds are different and no vender is similar. If you order from anywhere dont get anything bigger than the sample size PLEASE. Quick way to have enough juice sitting around to open your own store.

Also your local stores might offer a juice bar to try things out before buying things.

Also, alot of folks will recommend some the expensive equipment. The friend that got me back into vaping was using ego type batteries for 2+years with cartomizers and he is perfectly fine with his equipment.

Last edited:

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Like most things in life, your "ultimate desires" conflict with the limitations of the available technology.

I too want a cig-sized battery that lasts all day without recharging. And let it be Variable volt too. Alas, doesn't exist.

So you have to decide....a bunch of cig-a-like batteries so you can charge several at once, or a "fat batt". Your choice.

510 is more of a connection/threading than a feature set. You'll find almost all makes and models available with 510 threading.

The real cost savings is in DIY e-juice long term. However, for now, buy several small bottles from a couple of vendors. And maybe use an internet safe card (like a pre-paid card) to be safe (this is often recommended too). Get into DIY later.

You have to shop around. The eGo units are good choices for starting out. There are others too. I'd suggest you get variable voltage with whatever you choose. Also, keep the carto "ohm rating" in the middle of the road...around 2.3 or 2.5 ohms. Low 2's. This gives you the most adjustment range. The important thing to understand is that you don't know what you want yet...so keep costs reasonable, experiment and research, then decide. You can keep your 1st VV setup as a "backup".

Cartos are probably best to start. Leave the tanks and stuff for later. Too....fiddly to start with. I see more newbies having trouble with tanks and rebuildable stuff and getting frustrated for no good reason. Just because someone loves tanks and recommended them to newbies. Get a tank later.

Whatever you do, make sure you have adequate supplies. Several juices, several cartos, at least 2 batteries. These are often sold in kits.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I just have a problem asking someone to shell out almost $300 if you include batteries, charger and other bits as their first kit. What if they find they don't like vaping? I agree the provari is a quality APV, but 4 volts is 4 volts, doesn't matter if it's from a $200 mod or a $25 battery.

I would recommend getting a 'starter' kit to begin, then figure out from there what you like, what you need and what you feel you are lacking - then you decide if you want to go down the APV route, you can make a more informed decision when it's time to upgrade. You'll always need backups so your first 'starter' kit will never be wasted as you can use it as a backup to any more advance battery combo you decide to get.

(this is in response to "just get a provari mini post above")

Last edited:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Hi ShariR

I would get a ego twist variable voltage battery and a vivi nova or a kanger protank. .

I agree. Millions start vaping this way, some never even upgrade. If you ever do upgrade then these will be your "backup".

Can't go wrong with an Ego Twist, Vision Spinner type battery and a clearo or clearo-tank on top like evod, vivi nova, protank, etc.

By the time you add a few juices, you're up to right under $100. I would NOT recommend spending more than that to start. Later on you can get a bigger battery mod if you like vaping. First, just start, don't get all hung up on what to buy........the ego twist and visioin spinner are a great starting point.

Get one 650mAh size (about 6 hours), get one 1000 or 1300 size (a little baton like but good for about 8-10 hours -- I use at home), and at least 2 clearomizers and 2 replacement coils for them. Try to stay around the 1.8-2.8ohm area on those. Get a USB pigtail charger as well as a wall adapter/wall wart for it (2 pieces).

Get DRIP TIPS. At least 2. I'd go with 4. I lose mine.

Get Juice.

Your biggest expense will be finding juice you like. You could have the best equip, but until you find ejuice you can vape all day, to get off the ciggies, then it won't matter what kind of battery you have!

Read my blog for how to get and give PIF, and also get 20 posts ad get verified to buy and sell in the ECF classifieds. People get rid of stuff there all the time.

Last edited:

Dakota Jim

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
in a warehouse buried near Univille SD
Hi! welcome to vaping and to the ECF

My starter recommendation would be to get 2 joye twist (or vision spinner) 900 or 1100 mah batteries (these are variable voltage batteries which will let you "tune" it to your juice delivery device (atomizer, cartomizer, clearomizer or tank) easy to use and very small learning curve to set these), 2 or 3 Kanger Evod clearomizers (and 2-5 replacement 2.2 ohm heads for these, and charger for batteries (make sure you get the wall plug also - they don't always charge right when plugged into computers)

900 or 1100 mah batteries will last most people all day but as you smoke up to 2 packs of analogs a day I would carry the extra battery with you (also carry a small bottle of juice to refill evod)

oh, and these batteries are 510 and ego threaded (the most popular threading at this time - this will give you the most options for atomizers, cartomizers, clearomizers or tanks to attach to batteries.

PBusardo review on Evod

A PBusardo Review All About The EVOD - Includes Recoiling - YouTube

PBusardo review on ego twist

A PBusardo Review - eGo Twist - OvaleUSA - YouTube

I trust PBusardo's review (and his real name is "Pheel :) )

Welcome to vaping and ask any questions you need answers to here

I started like you - cigalike devices - 1 week later ego batteries and clearos - 1 more week later - ego twists and a VV pass through and vivi nova tanks - 2 more weeks later - Vamo and evods and protanks - now just collecting different things to try (new hobby :blush: ) and getting inexpensive ego kits to give to friends that smoke (switched 3 so far)

donwuan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2013
GA
If your experience is anything like mine. Get used to wasting money.

BLu cigs are nothing like getting real equipment. But I say if you avoided a few with Blu cigs than you will enjoy vaping with the advance stuff. From the start it took me mabye 30sec(after a few F ups) to refill my tanks. You get used to it really fast.

Its better/quicker than trying to find a lighter with only a electric stove sitting around.

Intial cost is going to be where you spend the most. Cheaper equipment like the ego stuff will be a test to see if you really like vaping.

But once you find you style, find your juice, find whats right for you then you can look into some of the more expensive stuff.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Wow. I wish I had a friend like you. I have never even seen a real person using one of these things. When I bought the Blu, I logged onto here and read a noobie post on how to vape and had to watch a video because I was getting a racing heartbeat from using it wrong. I pschyed myself out! I am an old lady and don't need all that excitement. But boy, I will be one hot old lady when I get my new setup!
Ha Ha!

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
All great advice, I went all in on a provari off the start, but I was a 40 year smoker too and
darn determined this was going to work. There were not the same options a year and a half ago however.

The provari was pricey but it's gonna last me a lifetime. The others come, the others go.
It is still by my side,,,err...in my hand. Had there been ego twist or spinner options for variable voltage I may not have a provari yet, but gone through 3 or more of the egos.

Do you like to buy quality once and be done? Or do like to grab whats new, cheap and essentially disposable?
Only you can answer that one.

Whatever you choose you will be successful, there is some great stuff out there nowadays, but the crap is still out there too.
Be aware of this and weigh all the advice given. Watch utube reviews on items of interest. There's lots.

Evods, protanks and twists/spinners will leave you more leftover cash to try 5 or 10 ml juice samples from a few vendors.
You'll want to try half a dozen at least to start and re-order the ones you really like. Don't do what I did and buy all tobacco flavours, mix it up a bit with desserts/fruits etc. A lot of folks like MBV(mt. baker vaper) the name is somethin' like that, good prices good juice(I hear)

Cheers and Welcome to ecf.:vapor:

Last edited:

Non-Smoking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Philly burbs
I ran a similar thread just yesterday after weeks of research and wound up buying this last night: EGO-C and Mini ViVi Nova Kit - $60.00 : Rocky Mountain Vapor, The Mountain top of Electronic Cigarettes
Today I already got the shipping confirmation that it'll be here in Philly from CO by Saturday. If you enter "20rocky" at checkout you'll get 20% off bringing this kit to $48. Someone recommended the same link above from myvaporstore for the spinner/ego kit. You get a lot less for a lot more on that one. I know that's a spinner or twist and my sub $50 kit is not a VV (variable volt), but if you want to mess with that there's this one: EGO-C Twist 1000MAh and clearomizer Kit - $78.00 : Rocky Mountain Vapor, The Mountain top of Electronic Cigarettes
That twist kit will cost you like $66 (after 20rocky) and gives you WAY more than that myvaporstore site! Personally, I didn't want the twist as I sell power management semiconductors for a living and that's just one more failure point for the device. I also am a bit OCD and know if I have a VV device I'll just be playing with it all the time and never happy with whatever setting it's on! If you want you can add a 3rd battery to the kit I got and make it a twist battery, still cheaper than that other place. No, I don't have any affiliation with Rocky (Dave actually), I'm just a sales guy myself that appreciates great service WITH a great deal. I emailed their customer service with a couple questions and Dave was very helpful educating me. I almost feel bad shopping him around. Just my $.02...check out my thread in the ego section: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ego-type-models/429749-please-help-noob-select-egoc-kit.html

Last edited:

Non-Smoking

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2013
Philly burbs
I'd also like to mention I quit w/an Njoy cigalike a month ago and thought I could tough it out without a hardware upgrade...I could have, but then I had a chain smoking convert to vaping customer show me his ego and let me hit it yesterday and I was in vape heaven :) I had to upgrade after that. Good luck with the Blu and or your upgrade.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
If you aren't sure whether you will continue vaping after you try the "real thing," you may just want to get a normal, non- variable voltage eGo. I still bring my regular egos to work or to the bar, so I do not feel nervous about breaking them. Plus, you can get a regular eGo for <$15 with a charger with some bargain hunting. Some places even sell them with the charger and a cartomizer. Add a 10-15 ml bottle of juice and shipping, you are trying vaping for $30. After you give it some consideration, then buy the twist/spinner/variable voltage. I always have some package coming to me in the mail. There is always a new thing I want or need some replacements, etc... The batteries are rechargeable, not indestructible. Even the Joyetech batteries only last for a certain number of charges and then it's time to get something new. I would say try a cheap ego battery and a cartomizer. If you still like it, put your cig money into it and get something really good.

Most of us are saying, damn I should have just jumped right in and got the spinner or the Provari, but we are the ones that stuck around. The ones that found vaping was not for them have their $70 starter kit collecting dust or being the most expensive paper weight ever.

merriweather

Jan 18, 2011
Missour-ah :p
I'm pretty simple with my vapes compared to some people here.
I'm using the new glass kangers + an ego battery, and I LOVE it. The kangers are great, glass, and juices wont eat their plastic. (Sometimes their coils could leave something to be desired, but thats why I'm going to try and build my own) The kangers cost about $18 and the ego c batteries are about the same. It's a pretty cheap investment to get started, and it all works pretty easily. I'm going to look into a better battery in the future (maybe an itaste mvp... idk) but what I have now works.
As for juices, mt baker vapor is a pretty good place to check out, a lot of cheap juices so if you dislike one you aren't out too much $$$. Flavors are SO subjective, I hated the Halo Belgium chocolate, my husband was ALL over it. It's gonna be a lot of hits or misses while you find stuff you like. :)
I started out on blus too, they are cute little toys but not much more haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread