I need help picking my first ecig setup. I am confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_DeCastro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
SOCAL, USA
Thank you all so much for your input. I am pricing the ego battery and the Spinner. What is the difference between the Vivi Nova, the Kanger and carto? What is easier to use? Thanks.
carto is easiest to use. just plug and play.

get one carto tank, one vivi nova, and one evod...than you can choose which one you like the best.

on the device itself, i would suggest a variable other than spinner or twist.
VOT Variable Volt eGo Passthrough
you can vape while charging, it's still an ego but you can varithe voltage to give you the best hit/taste

if I were starting out, that would be the one I choose. if you don't care about size than the vamo or smok SID (which I have) are cheaper VV/VW

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I own both the Spinner and Twist and prefer the Spinner because:
voltage markings easy to read
wider knurled dial makes it easy to turn
1 mm wider then Twist but shorter than Twist
Twist Dial
Twist Dial.jpg
Spinner Dial
Spinner Dial.jpg

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
ShariR, I was in the same boat as you. A couple of years ago I went with reputable brand cig looking ecigs from vapor4life. While they worked pretty good for what they were I ended up going back to analogs.

Just recently I decided I really needed to quite if not for my self, then for my two young boys. I did a TON of research and was looking for a flexible system (variable volt/watt) that didn't cost a great deal but that would be reliable and idiot proof.

I have now found vaping heaven :) I bought a Vamo and a Kanger Protank and could not be happier. Yes it's a bit on the large side, but that is really the only negative I have found with it. BTW, it can be used in either short configuration (with 1 battery) or in long configuration (with 2 small batteries or 1 large one).

The selection of ecigs, tanks, cartos, etc., etc. can be very confusing for someone new (like I was 3 weeks ago) and many "starter kits" are far from complete.

My recommendation:
Vamo V2 or V3 - $40-$50 usually
Kanger Protank - $15-$20 (comes with 2 heads but order a few more - they are cheap) - easy to use (watch a youtube video or two). This tank uses a Pyrex glass tank so it won't deteriorate.
1 - 18650 IMR battery or 1 or 2 - 18350 IMR Battery(s)
Charger compatible with 18350 and/or 18650 batteries
Juice of choice (Mt. Vapor Baker has some AWESOME prices).

I purchased my Vamo, battery, and Protank from exhalevapors.com and he has the Vamo, charger, and a battery for $60-some with very fast shipping and good customer service or you can order from fasttech.com which may be a few dollars cheaper but slower shipping. I would recommend the stainless version of the Vamo as it won't attract fingerprints and may be a bit stronger. Don't let the options and variable wattage scare you, it is a very easy to use and flexible system. I know this sounded like a commercial, but I'm just trying to help out a fellow beginning vapor.

dataoogie

Feb 14, 2012
NYC
Welcome

If it is your first kit, i would pick up any kind of ego style battery preferably an Ego Twist and a Vivinova tank. Easy to fill and to put together as well. Then after you do more research and look through the forum, you can go into advanced PV's.

GotVapes VISION ViVi NOVA™ 3.5ml V2.5 REBUILDABLE TANK [gv-VIVINOVA-TANKV2.5] - $12.95 : GotVapes.com, E-cigarette Supplies - Atomizers Cartomizers Mods Juice and more
Gotvapes also has ego passthroughs as well so you can vape and charge as well.

Good Luck! =)

klynnn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 20, 2012
prattville
I am a 48 yr smoker. If I knew then what I know now I would have never smoked. But since hindsight is 20-20. I would go with the vamo kit from fasttech in SS and the 2250mah batteries. Since you are retired and most likely home all day size is not a big problem. The rechargeable batteries are well worth it. I was a heavy smoker and at first it seemed huge but now I love it. You will have to explore juice delivery devices to see what you like best. I use the genuine vivi novas and love them and have several spinners as backups.. Lots of others use the kangers. You do have to spend some time experimenting with equip. The hardest for me was finding a juice I liked so I finally started making my own. If you have the time to research and read half the battle is done. I spend less than half of what I spent on cigs and am stocked for a couple years. $53.33 Vamo-Vivi Stainless Steel Voltage Adjustable E-Cigarette Battery Compartment Set - with Nitecore I2 US battery charger/charger cable/2*Panasonic CGR18650CH 18650 batteries at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Gary Mcroy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I dont know if id recommend a new vapor skiping the ego style manual batteries. I do say skip the cigalikes. Its a good starting point with a low enough cost. They work well enough for a new user to get used to everything before there bomboarded with watts and voltage, resistance and such. Plus mods are big usually. But hey to each thier own. Id say get a ego twist or ego t upgrade, with maybe a carto and a clero to see what they like. Maybe a iclear16 or evod. Dunno. Plus then if they do upgrade to an apv later the'll get a great new experience they skiped otherwise.

Gary McRoy
PS: Dont get my wrong I use an vv apv, right now smoketech sid and a protank... just saying, ha

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
The kit that was recommended to me to start with was a vision spinner kit - two batteries, two clearo's and a charger for a little under $75. I got 2 X 1300mAh batteries which will last all day as I didn't particularly care how big they were (they aren't huge, but they are much bigger than the cig-a-like batteries you refer to in your post)

I got my kit from my vapor store http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

This is a kit I see recommended over and over again for new vapors - and it is an excellent start for the following reasons.
The batteries are variable voltage, so you can use different ohm heads for your clearos.

The batteries are genuine Vision spinners.
Even when you feel you want to upgrade from them, they make excellent backups
The are somewhat inexpensive.
They are reliable and last around 300 charge cycles (estimated from all the information I have got on here and other websites)
All you need to add to get up and running is juice.

I got some what they call Ego clearomizers with the kit (which are basically CE5's) but knowing what I know now, I would recommend 2 EVODs.

Edit - I know you can buy a less expensive kit than this - esp if you order from fasttech or something. I am only recommending this kit because it's what I got and it worked great. I still use My vapor store for my hardware needs as they offer super fast shipping and excellent service.

Didn't need to read past this quote. What Aglet said is 100% correct. +100.

Welcome!

I dont know if id recommend a new vapor skiping the ego style manual batteries. I do say skip the cigalikes. Its a good starting point with a low enough cost. They work well enough for a new user to get used to everything before there bomboarded with watts and voltage, resistance and such. Plus mods are big usually. But hey to each thier own. Id say get a ego twist or ego t upgrade, with maybe a carto and a clero to see what they like. Maybe a iclear16 or evod. Dunno. Plus then if they do upgrade to an apv later the'll get a great new experience they skiped otherwise.

Gary McRoy
PS: Dont get my wrong I use an vv apv, right now smoketech sid and a protank... just saying, ha

Agreed, It only took me three days on the "cigalike" to run back to the shop and pick up an ego/tank kit. There's the initial "i want this to look like cigarettes to hide my shame" and it is quickly followed by the "This is so much better and I don't want to be mistaken for a nasty analog smoker" - and that transition takes place far quicker than you'd imagine.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Totally agree. The eGo style hardware is everywhere because it's easy to use and compatible with everything else that's eGo style. It lets people try many different delivery systems on a single, inexpensive battery. That's exactly what a new vaper needs in order to figure out what they like. At the very beginning, the objective isn't to acquire the latest, greatest and sexiest PV available. It's finding a decent system to try out a few juices without wiping out the credit limit. The eGo systems fit that to a T.

That doesn't mean that there aren't easy to use mods out there. I'm sure there are plenty. But for most new vapers, that's a few steps up the staircase yet.

KalNoodle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
Wisconsin
Thank you all so much for your input. I am pricing the ego battery and the Spinner. What is the difference between the Vivi Nova, the Kanger and carto? What is easier to use? Thanks.

I don't have any experience with the Kanger products, but I've tried the Vivi Nova and cartos.
To me, cartos are definitely better for starting out because they're easier and cheap. The Vivi is kind of fiddly. With a carto you can fill and go, but you do need to refill more often. I also think you get a cleaner taste with a carto. They last 5 to 7 days on average, then just toss them in the trash.

You may also want something to test out juices. Someone will need to recommend what to use there. I'm not sure what's out there anymore, because I bought my stuff over 2 years ago.

Good luck!

ia2828

Moved On
Dec 3, 2012
Malaysia
  • Deleted by UntamedRose

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
The kit that was recommended to me to start with was a vision spinner kit - two batteries, two clearo's and a charger for a little under $75. I got 2 X 1300mAh batteries which will last all day as I didn't particularly care how big they were (they aren't huge, but they are much bigger than the cig-a-like batteries you refer to in your post)

I got my kit from my vapor store http://www.myvaporstore.com/Vision_Spinner_Joye_Ego_C_Twist_Combo_p/vvs-c.htm

This is a kit I see recommended over and over again for new vapors - and it is an excellent start for the following reasons.
The batteries are variable voltage, so you can use different ohm heads for your clearos.

The batteries are genuine Vision spinners.
Even when you feel you want to upgrade from them, they make excellent backups
The are somewhat inexpensive.
They are reliable and last around 300 charge cycles (estimated from all the information I have got on here and other websites)
All you need to add to get up and running is juice.

I got some what they call Ego clearomizers with the kit (which are basically CE5's) but knowing what I know now, I would recommend 2 EVODs.

Edit - I know you can buy a less expensive kit than this - esp if you order from fasttech or something. I am only recommending this kit because it's what I got and it worked great. I still use My vapor store for my hardware needs as they offer super fast shipping and excellent service.

+1 for this kit. These days I have a Provari with a nice Genny tank, but I still use my eGo and Kanger tanks when I am out and on the go. You can't go wrong with that kit.

Vapo Marx

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
New York
I too want a cig-sized battery that lasts all day without recharging. And let it be Variable volt too. Alas, doesn't exist.

So you have to decide....a bunch of cig-a-like batteries so you can charge several at once, or a "fat batt". Your choice.

Just chiming in as someone who originally vowed to stick with cig-alikes: I still love the small form factor but yeah, rotating through/charging a bunch of batteries does get old really fast. My current "upgrade" to that is a pen-style kit which I like a lot but still, battery life could be better. I'll probably end up giving in and getting something like that Vision Spinner kit that's been suggested a couple of times in this thread. In fact, I've seen that kit recommended here so many times, I've already bookmarked it. But could I have gone straight from cigarettes to something like that? Probably not. I suppose some of us need to ease into it, others don't.

Fizzpop

ECF Veteran
May 6, 2013
United States
Just chiming in as someone who originally vowed to stick with cig-alikes: I still love the small form factor but yeah, rotating through/charging a bunch of batteries does get old really fast. My current "upgrade" to that is a pen-style kit which I like a lot but still, battery life could be better. I'll probably end up giving in and getting something like that Vision Spinner kit that's been suggested a couple of times in this thread. In fact, I've seen that kit recommended here so many times, I've already bookmarked it. But could I have gone straight from cigarettes to something like that? Probably not. I suppose some of us need to ease into it, others don't.

I think it is a pretty natural progression. My wife and I started on cig-a-likes, then moved to an eGo knockoff (Oops!) then I moved to a Rebuildable Genesis style tank. Wife stayed with the eGos - it is what she likes - although we have fine tuned our tank selection. She is currently very happy switching between her Davide mini tank and her rebuildable dripper.

People ..... all the time about how lousy cig-a-likes are, but they serve an important purpose. Without them, I don't know if my wife and I would have ever discovered vaping.

SchmidtyKy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
Anytown, USA
I've been "vaping" for about a month now. It's been a little crazy, because I've had to go through some trial and error. I'll tell you a bit about my experience...

I started out with Blu a few years ago. But Blu never replaced cigarettes for me, although I did enjoy them. Just didn't do it for me! I could only use about 2 of their flavors, the others made me cough. So...I continued smoking a pack a day. A family member recommended the Ego-T 650 Mah battery. This one lasts me through most of a day on one charge. It came with a CE4 Clearomizer, which is made of plastic and you cannot take it apart, and difficult to clean. I didn't know this, I thought it would just last forever (rookie mistake!) and after I burned through a few more CE4's, I ended up ordering a Pro Tank and a Pro TAnk mini. After figuring out how those tanks worked, I was a happy vaper. Then I ordered an extra battery, this time an Ego 950 Mah. This one lasts me about a day and a half!
I get all my juices from MtBakerVapor. Fast shipping, good flavors. Some do need to steep, but ones that I have tasted and seem to be ready to vape right away are: Wild Cherry, Cotton Candy, Black Licorice (my favorite!), Wintergreen, and Candy Cane. I ordered the house mix, which is 80%PG and 20%VG. I get mine at 18mg nicotine, although you can order higher than that.

Hope this helps. It's a learning process.....oh, and I got my Ego-T starter kits at sharp-smoker.com. They sell them for $24 each, and they come with those CE4 clearomizers. Do yourself a favor....go ahead and order a Kanger Pro Tank mini also, and save the CE4's as back ups. Their quality is not great, but will do the job in a pinch.

tootoolz

Sep 2, 2013
United States
Go to a vape shop that'll let you try some units out' like Island Vaporium down in Galveston. I recommend an Ego kit. 650, if you smoke 1/2 a pack or less. Go for the 1100 if you smoke a pack a day or more. They usually come in a kit with a tank and a charger. The 1100 is a long day battery and will last you til bedtime. The charger is a smart charger, so you can plug it in when you go to bed, just like you do your cell phone, and it's ready to rock in the morning. A good tank to add is a Protank Mini by Kanger. Filled up will last you all of the day.

I started out with little units like the Blu, but the battery life is only 3 to 4 hours, so I had to carry extra batteries, juice, etc. It was kind of a pain. I now use an 1100 battery by Smokin Crow with a CE5 tank. Lasts me all day & I'm a pretty heavy vaper. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread