• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

I think my charger is about to explode...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marclap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Hi!
I know there's lots of threads about ego chargers, but I really don't know what to do with it.
I received my ego on august 29 (from happyvaper) and since the beginning of october, it started acting weird.
First of all, it always takes me a couple minutes to be able to make it charge my battery. Sometimes the LED stays green so I unplug it and plug it back in.
But yesterday, when I wanted to check if my battery was fully charged, I noticed a strange smell coming out of my charger. Something like a fried electronic component. And this damn thing was hot as hell!
Now i'm still trying to charge my battery. It's been charging for only 20mins but it doesn't seem to overheat (yet).
I tried to clean the threads of the charger and the battery, but it didn't change anything.
Have you ever experienced this?
Is my charger dead?

Thanks so much!
Oh and, I looooove the eGo (when it works, haha).

Mr.Self_Destruct

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2010
Queens, NY
Make sure you always clean your battery contacts and contacts on charger. If you clean the batt contacts you won't have to clean the charger contacts. I do this everytime i connect it to charger.

Also I have to connect the batt to the charger then plug the charger in.

You should probably get a new charger, they are only a few bucks.

marclap

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 28, 2010
Montreal, Qc, Canada
Thanks for your help!
I removed the screws and opened the charger to clean the threads completely with rubbing alcohol but it still overheats and smells bad so I guess i'll have to order a new one tonight. :( I'm out of luck, I just received an order from happyvaper this morning, now I need to order again. Grrrrrrr

Edit: My battery seems to have a little bit of charge left in it so I screwed an atty on it to try and it doesn't seem to give power to the atty. Could it be my battery?

Last edited:

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
This seems to happen occasionally with the eGo chargers. Happened to me. Screwed in batt and light stayed green. Tightened a little more red. After 1/2hr batt and charger seemed hot. Unscrew batt and nice burnt PC board smell. batt electronics dusted! The charger connection at the batt was at fault. It had a small piece of wire or solder flash between the inner and outer contacts where you screw the battery in and when batt is fully seated, the pressure is enough to complete the circuit and create a short. This will take out the batt electronics. Replace the charger

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
Your battery was still fine with a new charger or it was dead too?

No this fault takes out the batt. That is the fried PC board smell. Look closely at the screw in connection on yours. Is the outer ring (seperated by a white o-ring) equally spaced all the around from the inner cylinder. Is there any small metal pieces protruding from either the inner cylinder or the outer ring. Look for any place that these two pieces could make contact with the presence of pressure when seating a battery.

If the unit is new you will very likely get a free replacement. I did. Best of luck

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
I feel your pain. I had a bad charger that fried two eGo batteries in a week after I got them. Jack replaced everything and I didn't have any problem since (knock on wood, three months and going).

Was it the connector issue that I descibed earlier in this thread? Or something else.

Jon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2008
Toronto, Canada
18pct.com
I had that happen too. Killed one of my batteries, but I thought it was the battery at the time. Next day I plugged in another and it killed that one and gave a little puff of smoke too. Mine was still under warranty so Jack exchanged it all for me. With the new one I've been super meticulous making sure I don't have juice all over the battery before I plug it in -- I think some residue on the battery may have made a short.

viktor

ECF Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Burlington, Canada
Was it the connector issue that I descibed earlier in this thread? Or something else.

I don't think it was the connector issue. Jack said it was a faulty charger and I believed him. Only empirical knowledge here.

Edit: I didn't pay attention to the charger threads, but I don't remember that green/red light change you describe. So I may have had the same issue as you or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread