I think my Hastur mini is getting me off the smokes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
I can't believe that I haven't had a cigarette since I got this device a few days ago, which is some sort of personal record. It helps that it's freezing on my balcony where I go out to smoke but mostly it's how satisfying it's been to vape on this tiny little unit.

I love this thing. Once I washed it off, I built a gazillion wrap kanthal coil on it and vaped at 8W for most of the first evening while I figured out wicking and airflow. I also got some 28awg 316L to try out temp control on my mod.

My first TC build was a contact coil, again trying to get as many wraps on there as possible. I learned two things:

First, contact coils don't work (or I suck at them) for TC on my mod. With the two different contact coils the resistance was jumping A LOT and as it heated up it got worse. I think the second one was drifting almost a full ohm, between 1.8 and 2.7ohms IIRC. So I'd get a great vape, then too hot, then wisps, etc.

Second thing was that I needed to stop thinking like I was in VW. Once I finally figured that out, I put a normal 9-wrap 3mm-ID spaced coil on it, set my temp to 240C and max power to 24W and it's been stable, consistent and awesome ever since. I keep it between 200-220C most of the time.

This is my first RTA and I've found it really challenging to get the wicking right. The Wasp Nano RDA especially, is extremely forgiving of my crappy wicking. Seems like on my Hastur Mini, too little wick is worse than too much, at least in terms of popping and draw smoothness. I'm getting good results leaving the tails a little long and kind of spreading them around the space under the deck.

The smallest AF hole replicates that cigarette draw perfectly for me. I've got a 15mg 50/50 menthol in there and the throat hit is nearly right. I think I just need higher nic, as I find myself chaining on it to get that nicotine hit.

I haven't had any of the drip tip condensation problems, apart from when I managed to flood the deck -- I started filling the tank with the glass on the deck, without screwing the chimney on first and doh liquid began flowing out of the airflow hole as well. Mine came with the updated steel drip tip with 3mm bore and the delrin one that looks about 2.7-2.8mm. I haven't had any leaking either, again aside from the flooding which was totally due to sheer user stupidity.

What else? Oh yeah accessing the deck is easy with liquid in the tank. Just make sure it's not completely full and that you're firmly holding the glass onto the top cap while you unscrew the deck. It will also help if you're not a complete idiot like me -- after I changed out the first wick, I took the full tank and turned it over to place it back on the atomizer, like it was a regular top cap. I'd like to say I learned my lesson but I did it again a couple of wicks later...

I thought I'd hate the steel drip tip but I find that I really love the feel as well as the steampunkish look. It's just beautiful.

On to the pics.

My kids thought the Cthulhu etching was the Hydra logo :D
20181128_214023.jpg

On the Ehpro Mod 101 in 18350 form factor.
20181128_210005.jpg

Looks good with the 18650 too.
20181128_213101.jpg

Firing with TC set to 205C. I have it at 24W max but it never gets close -- starts around 15W and settles in at 5.4W. I started with a full tank and battery this morning around 5am and it's 10pm now.
20181128_210240.jpg

It seems I've reached some sort of critical mass to switch from dual using to strictly vaping so I think this might be it. Wish me luck!

Ken

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Coil size can make a difference in the vape depending on size vs the wattage you vape. Larger coils require larger wicks and will help at higher wattage, but a larger coil can reduce airflow slightly in some atomizers by constricting the draw through the air port. Coils that are too small for your wattage can starve the wick and affect the vape.

Experiment with wire size and coil diameter to discover what works in your atty. If you wind too many wraps you may find that fewer wraps yield higher airflow and larger coils might be better for the way you vape.

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
Coil size can make a difference in the vape depending on size vs the wattage you vape. Larger coils require larger wicks and will help at higher wattage, but a larger coil can reduce airflow slightly in some atomizers by constricting the draw through the air port. Coils that are too small for your wattage can starve the wick and affect the vape.

Experiment with wire size and coil diameter to discover what works in your atty. If you wind too many wraps you may find that fewer wraps yield higher airflow and larger coils might be better for the way you vape.

Thanks for the tips @DaveP. You pretty much nailed what I'm trying to work out. I'm still pretty new to this, and the number of variables in the coil alone is almost mind-boggling, and once you build that, you still have to decide how to wick it. I'm enjoying the process though, even when a build turns out to be worse than the last one.

Love that gold-top btw. I once had a Tokai clone that looked just like it.

Ken

Pokeroo

Nov 16, 2018
Toronto
Lookin' good, Hollywood! Glad you're finding a setup that works for you

Speaking as a long time dual-user myself, it can be difficult to find that right device in that right setup that makes you not WANT a smoke. For me, it took nic salts in an MTL rebuildable

Congrats, my friend!

Thank you. I was holding off on even *thinking* about hoping to wean off the smokes so I'm happy about this development. Also you're the second person who suggested/mentioned nic salts for MTL, maybe I should give it a try.

Ken

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Me too, thanks. What's the Nano in your sig refer to?
OBS Engine Nano rta. Almost extinct these days. Loving the qp Juggerknot mini as much. Loose mtl is doable with the Nano. RL is about as tight as you can get with the jk mini. The doggie is very popular around here and now has top fill. Closer to your preferred draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread