Idea stolen from misterD external charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
I stole the connector from the Energizer, I soldered the wire to the charger's terminals, and did some quick soldering to the battery terminals inside my box. It is because I didn't have room to put the charger in the box, and also I didn't want a big usb connector on the outside of the box. I've had it a couple days. I can vape on it when it's charging but I'm not sure if it's 5v..

Last edited:

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
A good idea for a one battery box. For 2 batts you need a balancing charger that monitors each cell, or there could be trouble in paradise.

haha what does that mean?

I have them in parallel btw. I'm not sure this would work with a 5v series box.. The batteries are protected..

Okay, maybe I didn't think about this enough

Last edited:

Unperson

ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2010
New England, U.S.A.
haha what does that mean?

I have them in parallel btw. I'm not sure this would work with a 5v series box.. The batteries are protected..

Okay, maybe I didn't think about this enough

Imagine you have two stomachs. You eat and one becomes full, but the second one isn't and keeps telling you you're hungry, so.. ..you keep eating. Meanwhile, the first stomach keeps getting food pumped into it. Boom!

karmatized

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
New York USA
www.happysmokes.com
Basicly he is saying there is no good way without computer chips to control it
You are putting your self at risk and it may explode in your
face in a li-ion fire ball of unhappyness

The only way i can think is a control board that puts both batterys together even though they are seperated and not lined up. And then the board charges one battery at a time to full level before it says its charged.

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
I'm not sure because they are in parallel, they share the same terminal. I don't think it'd be able to tell one battery from the other..

Edit: So they are not in parallel until the board puts them that way?

My idea is fading fast but actually it's misterD's idea, I mentioned that right?

Last edited:

misterD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2009
worster - crappychusetts
if you really wanted 5 volts you should've gone 1 big batt and booster. i think i see somewhere a smart charger for 2 batts. dont remember if it was meant to be used in series or parallel. rocket probably know about it cos he was part of that discussion. now if you find "that" smart charger you could build a cable with it and be good to go.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
If the batteries are protected and in parallel, the battery that becomes full first will shut off an not allow anymore input, it is just like leaving it on all night to charge. The second stomach will continue to eat until it is full, then it will refuse to accept a charge. I have done this on one charge source with 4 batteries at once. The light turns red when they are all are charged. I see no problem, IF the batteries where not protected then you would need a protection circuit inline for each battery or the stomach senario would occur, you would get a BOOM. I see no problem here.
Dan

Last edited:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
I'm not entirely convinced either. Also, the charger will only charge at a certain mah rate..

Correct but IMO it would split the ma it in half with two batteries, when one "Closes" to a charge the other will then recieve the full ma and then finally close to charging also. Then the light turns green or goes out depending on the setup.
Dan

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Ryan, parallel protected batteries, both in good condition can be connected in parallel and charged. The charger will apply a voltage to the batteries that will not allow one or two or three in parallel to be overcharged. The voltage will be the same to both parallel connected cells. Some chargers can not supply adequate current to two low batteries until they are almost fully charged. The little hockey puck chargers supply about 150ma. Two cells might need more than that until partially charged then the charger will apply a maximum of 4.20 volts (typical) and the battery will charge up to 4.20 volts, either or both of them, and then stop accepting current.

When you vape on the parallel pair you load them to maybe 3.80 volts, either or both. When you stop vaping the unloaded voltage will equalize between the two cells. There may be a small amount of charge that is transferred between the cells to equalize them since no two cells are exactly the same. When you get close to cutoff voltage, one will stop before the other and and the remaining cell might provide one or two more vapes before it cuts off.
There are several commercial Li-ion battery packs with 2, 3 or more cells in parallel and some with a single protection circuit (large enough to handle the rated current).
Do a search on Li-ion packs. Some might have 24 cells in parallel.
Series connection of cells is a different animal all together. Charging and discharging series connected cells does not inherently equalize the cells like a parallel connection does.

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
Yep, that all makes sense. Also, I believe I'm only using about 1k of the 1800 mah in a day. So it appears that the 150 or 200 mah charge is ok.

I kind of like the idea of a trickle charge. One of the reasons I'm running the box in parallel is to help with the load balance between the batteries and extend their long term life. Also, I do get more vapor that way. Even though it's the same voltage (3.7v) the load sharing seems to help.

They also have this $3.89 charger now

Last edited:

Ryan Toupal

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2010
On the road to Portland
heres a good one, battery's anode to anode ballance there power between eachother so if you ever want to perfectly have ballence power tape the top part of 2 bats together only the tops and let it site for hours. It will transfer power between them till they are perfectly ballence

No kidding.. I would have thought that all the negatives would have to be connected together and positives..

Last edited:

CloudBurst

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2009
Georgia, USA
Ok, this is what I have...tell me if this is ok, please. I have the board from a 510 PCC hooked to a tabbed 18650 and the + and - to the batty connectors, the red light is on, will it go off when the batty is fully charged or will it keep trying to charge it? Is there another way to hook it up? Previously, I also used a multi meter, found a 4.2v connection but it won't fire my atty, not sure why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread