Status
Not open for further replies.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Not only is this thing a joke but its actually really dangerous.
Lets just say you have just built a 0.2 ohm coil (lowest res it can go) and you start vaping it at 180W. Assuming you are using pure VG juice, PG isnt viable to use at high wattage. The VG will react to the insane amount of heat produced by 180W causing it to reach near flash point, at this stage it can turn to a chemical known as Acrolein. Acrolein is an extremely toxic and carcinogenic chemical made from broken down glycerol (VG). In low doses it can cause severe airway irritability, this "box god" would create Acrolein at a level beyond human tolerance.
Before any idiot tries to say "Well mechs can produce over 180W why havnt we heard cases of people getting sick off a mech". Mechanical mods can definitely fire at wattages similar to this device. However Mechanical mods have the ability to run at a much lower resistance (0.09-0.07) therefore a lower gauge wire can be used covering more surface area and having a much longer ramp-up time therefore avoiding heating your juice instantly to a heat close to flash point. To achieve the lowest resistance that this device can go (0.2ohms) while running 180W would have a coil with a mere fraction of the surface area of that if you were to run it on a mechanical mod. Also vaping at such a wattage at a higher resistance coil compared to a mech would mean you would be running a voltage far too high, more voltage across the same amount of surface area produces far more heat. Keep in mind that the absoulte max voltage a mech will fire under low res would be approx 3.7-4.0v where as this mod will happily pump out 6v to the coil.
After reading this I hope it has shed a bit of light on how silly and dangerous this device is. But if your using a lower wattage you should be fine, but then that is a bit of a waste buying a 180W device and not using 180W.
All in all if I could be as blunt as possible, you would be a complete (MODERATED) if you were even considering using 180w on this mod after reading this.

that's like saying those 400+ watt fog machines create acrolien and kill people at concerts.

it's all about wire gauge, not just ohms.

Circa Survivor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2014
Omaha, NE
I vape at 200 watts all day, every day and I'm still fine. See?
breaking-bad-gus-fring-death.jpg

xD

philoshop

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
geneva, ny, usa
that's like saying those 400+ watt fog machines create acrolien and kill people at concerts.

it's all about wire gauge, not just ohms.

Actually it's more about wicking. Don't try to vaporize more/faster than your build can wick the liquid.
A very wise old logger once told me, "Don't cut faster than you can think." That advice has served me well over the years in numerous disciplines, and I think it applies here.

nclay

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2014
California
It doesn't work that way owmang.

You are assuming that people use the same gauge wire for all 0.2 ohm builds. Not so. More wraps of bigger diameter wire creates the same resistance with more surface area.

For a mech mod using dual coils I like to use two, 24 gauge wires for 0.2 ohm builds. If I were going to design a 0.2 ohm setup to vape at 180 watts I would try double (twisted or parallel) dual coils with 24 gauge wire. Running that through the Steam Engine calculator indicates to me that it might actually be a bit too much surface area and mass at 180 watts, but it would certainly be safe.

This can be confusing. I would be happy to walk you through it if you need a bit of help :)

Love me a 2 wrap 30 gauge! :laugh:

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
(I do get the sarcasm, but I want someone to jump in and take a stand.)

as you wish, princess.

(you can't see it, but the wife is SERIOUSLY peeved right now. she was using that stand to reach the top of the tree so she could put the angel up there. now she's on the floor reaching for something to throw at me.)

true story. :p

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
as you wish, princess.

(you can't see it, but the wife is SERIOUSLY peeved right now. she was using that stand to reach the top of the tree so she could put the angel up there. now she's on the floor reaching for something to throw at me.)

true story. :p

I now have a lovely image in my mind of you at the Christmas dinner table with an angel shaped bruise on your forehead.

I don't understand why this thread even exists. So you don't think the God is right for the way you vape. Does that mean nobody else will enjoy it? Do your friends like all of the same juices as you and as much as you? Everyone has their own preferences. I do not own the God so I'm not being defensive, all I'm saying is why are you so worried what others are vaping? It has not been proven harmful if used responsibly. Yes, there are idiots who misuse it just like their are people misusing prescription meds, guns, and cars. Let's just stop making medicine because some people misuse it. Let's stop making guns because some people shoot at humans instead of deer. Let's stop making cars because some people drive 140 mph. This is nonsense! just because some people misuse things doesn't mean the thing being misused is necessarily bad, It's the people who misuse it who are in the wrong.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
Howdy,
Its been a while since I've posted as finding the answer to life has kept me busy. This though caught my eye as I was thinking on this topic a bit ago.
High wattage box mods, oh my what shall we do, simple answer is nothing really.
I'll give this example for you, if I were to buy say a super car that could do 200+ mph, would I always drive it at that speed. Well no because the traffic tickets would amount to insane bills and I would have my car taken away, also this could be a health hazard resulting in death. I'd drive it like a normal, sensible human being.
The engine and parts in the car would be designed with specs and tolerances to a finite detail. The workmanship near perfect in every way. This would mean longevity for the internal working components and some comforts that most cars don't have (none to say the least some safety features added as well).
How does this link to vaping you ask, well simply this. The box mods of high wattage are a result in progress, higher amperage by stacking batteries in series will push up the ability to go to higher wattage. The components have to be able to handle the additional stresses of regulating the voltage and amperage to accommodate the possibility of 180 on up watts. Safety features are put in to ensure over amperage and over voltage are not exceeded past a safe and reasonable level. In short the components are of a higher tolerance and spec. that that of a say 40w mod (not always true, but more likely the case).
Our favorite chip maker DNA pushed the limits of what was possible, always bringing forth the next level of vaping experience. But even then the 100w barrier was already being discussed when the DNA30 came out, so what would make you think that it wouldn't get this far.
Its your choice to push the wattage, its your choice to run a low sub ohm coil. These are putting yourself at risk (As a side note, mechanical mods to reach tempetures that the OP mentions often, sometimes double that even. The same health risks are there and even more so from over stressing a battery and causing the VG to undergo a chemical reaction). I myself will not push 180 watts, or 200, or whatever it can go to as I know the risks involved. Unlike a mechanical mod though should I ever attempt it there are safety features in place to ensure the batteries don't detonate or I pull too much amperage from them causing a dead cell at the end of it.
I recall what my father once said to me, a long while ago " Look before you leap, think before you speak" applies to a lot of things when it comes to sub ohm'ing and high wattage/amperage mods.

BlkWolfMidnight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2012
Virginia
pray tell, what should I be vaping at?

Vape at what you want to vape at, that is the best wattage I'd say.
I don't get mad anymore, it's not worth the effort/time spent on things. Those of us who have been around the block a million times over seen this play out more then once with the wattage/ohms/coil "insert name here" builds/battery types/ect....
Industry will stabilize, reinvent and a slue of opinions will come out, this is the way of the vape.

The Ocelot

Psychopomp
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
The Clock Barrens, Fillory
Vape at what you want to vape at, that is the best wattage I'd say.
I don't get mad anymore, it's not worth the effort/time spent on things. Those of us who have been around the block a million times over seen this play out more then once with the wattage/ohms/coil "insert name here" builds/battery types/ect....
Industry will stabilize, reinvent and a slue of opinions will come out, this is the way of the vape.

I do vape at what I want to, I just wanted someone to tell me what to do. :) Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread