If you haven't read this....Well you decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxidermist

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Battle Creek, Michigan
Courtesy:/tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com

Research conducted by Dr. Murray Laugesen and Health New Zealand Ltd. reveals that the toxic emissions score for electronic cigarettes is much lower than that of conventional cigarettes. In fact, the toxic emissions score - which is a score based on the levels of 59 priority toxicants - was zero for electronic cigarettes. In contrast, it was 126 for Marlboro and it was no lower than 100 for any brand of conventional cigarette tested.

Note that the above study actually tested the electronic cigarette vapor. This is the most relevant test, because it determines what the user actually inhales. The study found no more than trace levels of any of the 59 priority toxicants.

The study concluded: "Ruyan® V8 nicotine e-cigarette users do not inhale smoke or smoke toxicants. The modest reductions recommended in 2008 by WHO’s tobacco Regulation committee for 9 major toxicants in cigarette smoke, in line with Articles 9 and 10 of the FCTC (WHO Framework Convention tobacco Control treaty), are already far exceeded by the Ruyan® e-cigarette, as it is free of all accompanying smoke toxicants. Absolute safety does not exist for any drug, but relative to lethal tobacco smoke emissions, Ruyan e-cigarette emissions appear to be several magnitudes safer. E-cigarettes are akin to a medicinal nicotine inhalator in safety, dose, and addiction potential. E-cigarettes are cigarette substitutes. If they can take nicotine market share from cigarettes, and that is the big question, they will improve smoker and population health. They may also have a secondary role as medicinal nicotine inhaler quitting aids. Further trials of acceptability, addiction potential, clinical safety, and quitting efficacy are needed."

It should also be noted that there is preliminary research which provides laboratory evidence that electronic cigarettes are as effective as nicotine replacement products for short-term smoking cessation (i.e., these products have been shown to provide relief of cigarette cravings at a level comparable to nicotine replacement products). This research found that electronic cigarettes are actually preferable to a nicotine inhaler in terms of helpfulness, pleasantness, and ratings of whether the smoker would use the product and recommend the product. Given the overwhelming anecdotal evidence of the effectiveness of e-cigarettes for smoking cessation, formally studying the longer-term effectiveness of these products is a research priority.

Electronic cigarettes have the potential to be a life-saving intervention for millions of smokers. The FDA and the anti-smoking groups need to embrace this product and support the appropriate testing, not remove it abruptly from the market and sentence over a million e-cigarette users to disease and even death by a return to conventional cigarettes.

Taxidermist

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Battle Creek, Michigan
You're right the dollar speaks.....

Think about it, if you agree that vaping is definately less harmfull than cigarettes....and I don't think anyone can say it isn't, and you set out to outlaw the lesser of the two "evils" why would you also outlaw the greater of the two evils first???? Simple. Money.

PS....I'm not saying the government should ban or outlaw either.....that's another debate

floridamale

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Florida
Obviously more research and study needs to be done, and we need to support it, but just the fact that I have been able to quit smoking after 1 1/2 to 2 packs a day for well over 50 years attests to the inherent value of eCigs to the smoking community.....

:thumbs: I agree 45 years for me

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
We can make a difference. We have got to get out there and start spreading the word about PV's to everyone. It's amazing how many people I've talked to that have never even heard of E-Cigs or PV's. And they are amazed that I've been cigarette free for 3 weeks now. Several long time smokers are now planning to give them a try themselves.
If we all band together, spread the word and keep the safety of E-Cigs in the forefront of everyone's minds, then we just might stand a chance to force the FDA to bow to public wishes for a change.

flyboy

Aug 8, 2010
Wa
But it will boil down to e-cigs are a nicotine delivery system that must be regulated as nicotine is an addictive poison. Non and anti smokers do not want their children and loved ones dependent upon nicotine. IMHO we better enjoy it while we can because anti smokers are the ones that will be listened to not those of us who have failed giving up nicotine. Slowly but steadily anti smokers are winning and e-cigs are just one more thing that will eventually disappear.

If anyone can convince anti smokers that nicotine is not a dangerous poison that should be outlawed more power to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

"Nicotine has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant, it raises blood pressure, and is a vasoconstrictor, making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries. It causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood.[citation needed]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_addiction

Almost a quote, forum filters do not like the names of one of the drugs wikipedia lists and filtered it out.

"Drugs known to cause addiction include illegal drugs as well as prescription or over-the-counter drugs, according to the definition of the American Society of Addiction Medicine.

* Stimulants:
o Amphetamine and methamphetamine
o .......
o Nicotine
* Sedatives and hypnotics:
o Alcohol
o Barbiturates
o Benzodiazepines, particularly flunitrazepam, triazolam, temazepam, and nimetazepam
o Methaqualone and the related quinazolinone sedative-hypnotics
* Opiate and opioid analgesics
o Morphine and codeine, the two naturally occurring opiate analgesics
o Semi-synthetic opiates, such as ...... (diacetylmorphine), oxycodone, hydrocodone, and hydromorphone
o Fully synthetic opioids, such as fentanyl, meperidine/pethidine, and methadone"

Last edited:

MoonRose

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Indiana, USA
Fine, just give up everyone. Let the government take away all of your freedoms as we fast approach becoming a totalitarian nation instead of a democracy. All I ever hear from people anymore is we can't make a difference, the government or this company or that company or group of people make the rules. Well you know what, I'm sick and tired of just a few select groups of people making all the decisions about what is good for me. I have the RIGHT to decide for myself what I believe is good for me. Not some power hungry, better than thou fool who hasn't got a clue about what is best for me.

fourmedallions

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2010
Orlando, Florida
Wow - what a fantastic thread and eye opening reading, thank you! I have been so anxious about the money I've spent to get these kits (I got two) but I feel so much better about it. Now that the initial investment has been made, I'm on my way. I will fight the anti-smoking lobby because with this logic, we might as well re-enact prohibition. In fact - if we are going to start attacking substances that release cholesterol and fat into the bloodstream, we might as well go ahead and add a good chunk of the contents of the average refrigerator to our all encompassing act of prohibition.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Nicotine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Nicotine has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant, it raises blood pressure, and is a vasoconstrictor, making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries. It causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood.[citation needed]"

I beleive caffeine is pretty much the same though - I see no anti coffee drinkers - maybe the coffee growers lobby has too much money?
Or maybe smokers and BT are more likely to roll over and take it? I jsut hope that vapers are less maleable - it seems a lot of us are in that bracket that most politicians don't like to mess with usually - not poor, educated and able to vote.
/cynic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread