If you haven't read this....Well you decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofocused978

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2010
Boston
The smell alone, or the lack of the nasty smell, is factor as well. Yes the health benefits are there if only the FDA would acknowledge them. But as with most political messes - if big tabacco companies slip enough money to FDA, which way will their vote swing?

That right there is the problem. Big tobacco lobbyists who ship checks to congressmen on a monthly basis and then you have the states who would lose all that precious tax revenue if people actually embraced an alternative and started kicking the butts. Its a dirty dirty game. All that matters is $ in the end. Not helping people or letting them have freedom.

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
i still have people telling me im going to get pnumonia , which really tweaks my noodle because its caused by a virus , not water vapor in the lungs. funny how quickly people forget we are 75% water..

oh , and you dont walk around with a dryer breather when it rains , so .... yeah....

going to go google that study , it looks like something handy when its time to get my mother off smokes. roll your own is the worst thing i believe , cause people think they are saving money so they smoke more , no to mention if you have a cig case , you dont really know how many smokes you go through when you are refilling your case a couple times a day...

-hov

BradSmith

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2010
Northern Michigan USA
i still have people telling me im going to get pnumonia , which really tweaks my noodle because its caused by a virus , not water vapor in the lungs. funny how quickly people forget we are 75% water..

oh , and you dont walk around with a dryer breather when it rains , so .... yeah....

going to go google that study , it looks like something handy when its time to get my mother off smokes. roll your own is the worst thing i believe , cause people think they are saving money so they smoke more , no to mention if you have a cig case , you dont really know how many smokes you go through when you are refilling your case a couple times a day...

-hov

I know that I feel much better that's for sure, it's been around 7 months without a cig and I can't believe the difference.

However, with RYO's that was not my experience. I still went through one carton a week didn't matter if I was using RYO or not. The RYO's that I purchased were untreated and had much less chemicals in them than a pack of regular cigs. I'm still glad to be off the RYO's

Guitrman1

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Is it just me or has there been no information that specifically states why "e-cigs are dangerous" I know there was the one totally unscientific study in which 1 out of 10 e-liquids (from china mind you) had a trace amount of a toxic substance present at much greater levels in analogs. Other than that it seems like a huge smoke screen from the gov't

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA
Last edited:

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
i dont believe that there are less chemicals in RYO , but i never looked for studies.

all tobacco is sprayed with tobacco juice and preservatives for aging , then it is aged. there was a "how its made" or something like that on cigars , and it was disgusting seeing how there are giant piles of tobacco just sitting there in the open .

the only real difference i see on RYO vs branded , is you control how much re-use (waste) is put into yours. big cig puts that unusable dust into a kettle and then sprays the tobacco leaves with it.

i have also had very big tobacco stems , and i swear pot seed , because i have had a few cig's over time actually pop and break. and im sure they werent joke cigs. they just burned a little , then hissed , then POP....broken cig...

and the other thing i hate about my mothers RYO habit , is shes smoking pipe tobacco , which AFAIK shouldnt be inhaled... she says of course pipe and cigar smokers inhale , but i remember differently

-hov

Actually viral pneumonia is but one of many types...bacterial and aspiration (ie, foreign substance inhalation) are two other major types. So...there may be a slight risk, but I would think there would have to be quite a bit of condensation to cause that.

I think my only fear of what might happen IF either BT or BP got their grimy mitts on ecigs and ejuice, is that both entities have already been poisoning us in various ways for many decades (read: FSC/carpet glue, Vioxx, Meridia, etc)....am I the only one who can see them completely messing this up, somehow?

Last edited:

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
i was suprised that the chinese didnt put lead in the paint on ecigs or some horrible stuff in the juice. nothing against china , but their reputation for quality standards are pretty low...

and yes , bacterial and aspiration are the other main causes of pneumonia . but thats what i mean. i hate when people think going outside with wet hair , or no jacket is going to cause pneumonia.

my grandmother had parkinsons and aspirated a lot of food and that was a pretty horrible way to go. i dont think i have heard much on bacterial. then again viral and bacterial are probably pretty similar to each other.

and yes , i would think that the evaporation of normal breathing would cause any excessive moisture buildup to disperse over a long enough period.

now those guys using the double barrel mod , they might be a little higher on the risk list , but even then , youre still exhaling most of the vape...

my main concern towards ecigs is what the actual ingredients do to the lung tissue itself. i learned a long time ago , edible is not the same as smoke-able...

-hov

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
"Nicotine has very powerful effects on arteries throughout the body. Nicotine is a stimulant, it raises blood pressure, and is a vasoconstrictor, making it harder for the heart to pump through the constricted arteries. It causes the body to release its stores of fat and cholesterol into the blood.[citation needed]"
You can substitute the word caffeine for the word nicotine in that paragraph.
I don't see anybody out to ban caffeine though.

Substance dependence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Drugs known to cause addiction include illegal drugs as well as prescription or over-the-counter drugs, according to the definition of the American Society of Addiction Medicine.

* Stimulants:
o Amphetamine and methamphetamine
o .......
o Nicotine
Again, why isn't caffeine listed right there next to nicotine?
That kind of pisses me off to be honest.

i was suprised that the chinese didnt put lead in the paint on ecigs or some horrible stuff in the juice. nothing against china , but their reputation for quality standards are pretty low...

I know what you mean (which is why I switched to US-made juice after the 2nd day of vaping :2cool:).

and yes , bacterial and aspiration are the other main causes of pneumonia . but thats what i mean. i hate when people think going outside with wet hair , or no jacket is going to cause pneumonia.

Exactly! I had no idea, when I met my husband's family, that there were still people who thought that way. Took me 6 mos just to dispell his mom's old wives' tale conviction that cats steal the breath from babies' mouths. :facepalm:

my grandmother had parkinsons and aspirated a lot of food and that was a pretty horrible way to go. i dont think i have heard much on bacterial. then again viral and bacterial are probably pretty similar to each other.

and yes , i would think that the evaporation of normal breathing would cause any excessive moisture buildup to disperse over a long enough period.

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother :( and what she went through. I do agree with you on the ability of lungs to clear themselves, especially since so many of us have experienced improvements, not worsening, of our lung function since we've been vaping.

now those guys using the double barrel mod , they might be a little higher on the risk list , but even then , youre still exhaling most of the vape...

The only respiratory difficulty I've had has been when holding a lungful to stealth vape, and having all the vapor essentially remain in the lungs. I wind up paying for it later with a bit of coughing. (that'll teach me to take such a big draw lol)

my main concern towards ecigs is what the actual ingredients do to the lung tissue itself. i learned a long time ago , edible is not the same as smoke-able...

-hov

Very true. Still, for me, I'd much rather take in lungsful of VG than lungsful of floor sweepings and gawd knows what from analogs.

We need more testing--for everyone's sake and peace of mind.

You can substitute the word caffeine for the word nicotine in that paragraph.
I don't see anybody out to ban caffeine though.

Again, why isn't caffeine listed right there next to nicotine?
That kind of pisses me off to be honest.

Caffeine - The most used drug worldwide.

Bingo. And it's all about public perception.

It would be hysterical to see Starbucks under FDA scrutiny, the cries from the wings about the dangers "to the children" because of all the flavors vying for the poor preschoolers to start their morning latté ritual....

Doubt it'll ever happen, but still--many obstetricians advise against smokers to (abruptly) stop using cigarettes because it could cause stress to the fetus. Conversely, they ALL advise expectant mothers to stop all caffeine use.

Interesting.

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
i too switched to us-made juice after my first order of eliquid. some people love that degank stuff , but im just not a trusting person.

and believe me i know what you mean about old wives tales... i never realized it but my own mother was the one (when my son was born) , that told me the wind takes his breath away , and that in april , when it was 70degrees out , that he needed a hat because a cold head causes pneumonia. my fiance used to get so mad at this , shes a pediatric vent nurse , and had the hardest time dispelling this one. it took 3 medical journals to prove to my mother that cold weather doesnt cause pneumonia...

as for my grandmother , she had a long battle with parkinsons , in which i took care of her full time , because no one else (her own 2 children included) , couldnt stand to be around her cause she was so ill... she wanted for a long time to just pass , and thats why i also believe in assisted suicide. why make people suffer...

i dont really take big hits , and i dont inhale straight to my lungs , so i dont think i have ever had a problem stealthing. i dont worry about exhaling vapor , so much as someone seeing the ecig and yelling "BOMB" or "...." ... the wife however coughed at the first 5 companies' eliquids , until i got rob's totally green liquid...now if only i could afford one of those pink ego's i bet she would stick to it , but she hates my boxmod and says the original ecigs looked so much nicer...lol..

and i cant say much , i still smoke newports about 6 a day. way better than the 2 packs i was at , but i get very pissy when i dont have cigs. snus doesnt seem to help the pissy-ness , but it does help the craving i get once in a while for a smoke...

damn that was a long post , its probably incoherent , but thats ok...its my style...

-hov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread