Interesting reading.....well you decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxidermist

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Battle Creek, Michigan
I did a search on here and couldn't find this article...if has been posted before I'm sorry, but I find it interesting that the petition challenging the FDA is from the American Association of Public Health Physicians.

I knew that the FDA had been challeged....I guess I didn't realize it was a group of Physicians that were actually doing the challenging.

FDA Stance on E-Cigarettes Challenged in Petition by AAPHP

The official stance of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regarding the health risk of using electronic cigarettes has been officially challenged in a petition issued March 10, 2010 by the American Association of Public Health Physicians (AAPHP). The petition specifically requests that the agency reclassify electronic cigarettes from being identified as a “drug-device combination” and change it to a “tobacco product.” AAPHA promotes the use of electronic cigarettes to reduce harm to smokers, despite the negative reaction and publicity the e-cigarette industry has received from other health agencies.

The petition states that use of electronic cigarettes removes the main health risk associated with conventional cigarettes, namely the chemical carcinogens included as preservatives in cigarette tobacco and papers. AAPHA also points to the reduction of second hand smoke when electronic cigarettes are substituted for regular tobacco products. Battery-operated e-cigarettes also will not ignite fires, another health risk associated with traditional cigarettes.

Another benefit that AAPHA cites is that e-cigarettes, unlike other smoking cessation products, is that it allows smokers to continue the ‘ritual of smoking’ while reducing the amount of nicotine the cartridge in the electronic cigarette filter delivers. According to the petition, “E-cigarettes, more than any other tobacco or tobacco-related product, satisfies both the habituation and nicotine addiction.”
naquitline.org

A study released by a North American Consortium tracked 40 smokers — 25 to 65 years old — for a four week period to determine if the introduction of electronic cigarettes had an effect on their smoking habit. The study found that after one week, participants reported an 87 percent increase in energy and nicotine cravings. By the end of the study, 51 percent of the participants were using electronic cigarettes with no nicotine, and 92 percent said they had lost all desire for smoking traditional cigarettes. Officialwire.com

jjj

Oct 6, 2010
Brooklyn
I can't wait for the day when doctors start recommending them to their patients.

My sister is a doctor. I guess I should mention it to her. I know she doesn't like her patients to smoke-- smokers have higher risks in surgery. Her husband is also a doctor, but he's a radiologist. I don't think he ever actually sees any patients.

jjj

Oct 6, 2010
Brooklyn
Would love to hear her opinion....maybe you could ask her to come on here to ECF and read a few of the success stories.

It's not in her nature to read things on web forums and give them any credit. Are there any more formal resources I could point her to? Creditable studies? Information written by doctors, professors, scientists or the like? She's into that sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread