Status
Not open for further replies.

Zodas

ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2011
columbus ohio
Thats why I love this industry...Bobas tastes nothing like tobacco to me and Halo tastes like socks soaked in chemicals...

...everyones taste is subjective and interprets things tremendously different...its crazy how that works.

...also I used to smoke Kamel Reds like 12 years ago...dont you find Bobas insanely sweet for that comparison? I just find it so sugary that I cant sift through that sweet taste to find any tobacco flavor.

Aunt Cranky

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Chicagoland
Thats why I love this industry...Bobas tastes nothing like tobacco to me and Halo tastes like socks soaked in chemicals...

...everyones taste is subjective and interprets things tremendously different...its crazy how that works.

...also I used to smoke Kamel Reds like 12 years ago...dont you find Bobas insanely sweet for that comparison? I just find it so sugary that I cant sift through that sweet taste to find any tobacco flavor.

I do think that Boba's is quite sweet, but it's the best tobacco "flavor" I could actually vape for any stretch of time (that, and the 555). I've had some tobacco flavors that really do taste and smell like gym socks to me.

I do agree that Tribeca is less sweet, but to me the flavor notes are similar. By comparison, I think Copper Creek house blend is nothing like tobacco, and is sweeter than Boba's, but I don't find the flavor offensive.

I treat myself to a bottle of Ecopure Rich every now and then, just to reset my taste buds (because it is so mild)

ITPython

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Central Coast, CA
Tribeca is my all day as well. I got a few juices in a sample pack, smelled them all, and when I smelt tribeca, I literally said OMG, this is gonna rock. And it did of course. I currently have BB casablanca and backo that I got yesterday. I tried to smell them, but didn't get much. I'm afraid I won't love them like I want to if they don't steep, which is all I hear about with BB juices. Has anyone vaped BB juice straight out of the gate? I'm wondering how much steeping is needed, if at all.

With halo tribeca, I vape it almost right away and it tastes pretty much the same 2 weeks later, so no steeping with halo it seems (to me at least).

I got some backo a few weeks back that was made on the 6th, and I got it on the 8th. I proceeded to try it out the day I got it, was pretty much like vaping a diet lemon drink mixed with some extra strange chemicals. Very citrusy weird funk taste to it and was nothing like any other tobacco flavored juice I have tried (calling this a tobacco flavor juice would be the last thing I would ever call it)

I have been periodically shaking and checking it over the last week and a half or so as it steeps, far as I can tell the citrus part of it seems to be toned back a little, but I can still smell it. Still debating whether or not I should steep it more, or risk wasting another carto with juice I am not going to like.

The problem is now I have a bias to what it tastes like, and my taste memory is very distinct and I never forget a smell or taste. If I didn't like it before, even the most remote part of that smell or taste showing up again will absolutely ruin it for me.

So from now on I think I am always going to wait a few weeks with any USA made-to-order juice, that way I don't develop a bias to the taste pallet before the juice can get 'better' with steeping (still doubtful about the steeping process though, and whether or not it really does anything at all).

If steeping it typically required, would be nice if they offered pre-steeped juice for a slightly higher price. I realize these small-time vendors can't risk making tons of juice in every PG/VG ratio and nic level due to the potential for having leftovers that don't sell or get too old. But it may be worth looking into for a third-party company to buy a bunch of juice from various vendors, steep them, and sell them as pre-steeped. Would be a interesting business proposition for somebody willing and able to try it out. As the market for people not wanting to wait several weeks or months for a juice to 'perfect' might be higher than anybody could imagine.

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
I love Tribeca by Halo have not tried many vendors or juices to date except for Halo and V2 as well as a few smaller companies. But I am too interested in what fans of Tribeca would refer being that it is my favorite vape thus far. I have also found that I enjoy the Red and Sahara flavors by V2 tempted to order some of their juice to try in my eGo when I get it to see if it tastes the same.

Cartoon Dude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2008
Planet of the Vapes
Lots of great info here, I haven't had time to do much research but hopefully this week. I'm letting my Copper Creek & Backwoods Brew juices sit a bit longer before going back to them. Want to give some of the flavors mentioned here a try soon as well.

On a side note: I filled up my Vmod 2.0 with Backo from BWB, and it tasted nothing like when I was dripping it. Very weird. It almost had no flavor.

Cartoon Dude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2008
Planet of the Vapes
Cartoon Dude (my fellow VMODian),

You're going to love me for doing this... and you're going to hate me for doing this.

I too love Tribeca. There is some FANTASTIC info on a very long thread (ergo the love/hate thing) which you will appreciate greatly. You don't necessarily have to read the entire thread (tho I did, and it took me weeks). You can just do some searches for Tribeca and you will get a lot of info.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-really-big-ry4-roundup-long.html#post3345086

Keep us posted!

Yes I love you for doing this :)

Had no idea Tribeca was considered an RY4 variant. That helps with the searching. I'm going to read over as much of that thread as possible!

Seems the RY4 is for me as I like a subtle tobacco with the sweeter accents. I have flavors I like now (mostly from BWB so far), but none that stand out as something to replace Tribeca. To be fair, I've been dripping all my samples and have no idea how old my drip carto is right now :)

I'm not looking for something to necessarily replace Tribeca (but that could happen). I'm more looking to create a "family tree" based on the one flavor I like best so far.

Zodas: I will agree that Tribeca (and really all flavors) have a period of time where they seem to need a break from your taste buds. But some stuff people love just isn't for others. Copper Creek House Blend was like that for me. As I mentioned, giving it more time to steep but initial impressions were just "meh" for me.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
The whole flavor issue is a mystery to all of us. Our taste buds are obviously still transforming (and I say that with a year + now into the vape adventure). Also, juices do change somewhat over time. Some juices, that is. Others seems to stay quite consistent.

I adored Cafe Macchiato by TV when I started vaping. I order gallons of it, so it seemed. Now I cannot bear to even sniff it. Go figure!

You might want to give IKV (Ikenvape) RY4 a shot. Both the PG and the VG are very good, but I would start with the PG. It's not exactly Tribeca, but I found them to be similar in some notes.

I have a soft spot for RY4s. When I first started vaping, I ordered a juice called "Like Smoke", and it was by far what got me thru the period of getting off cigs.

Having said all that, I'm now quite addicted to BWB's 555 Exotic. I don't know why, but I am so drawn to it.

RobertButler

Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
New Jersey
I didnt think V2 sold juice...just prefilled cartridges.

I don't think they every used to, I think its recent but they sell their juice for red, sahara, congress and menthol, I believe. I ordered some Totally Wicked Juices that I think may blow them away so I might just be talking out my ... but I might give the red a shot cause I did enjoy that flavor, its my one of four v2 vapes that I can actually tolerate. So we shall see Ill deff post an update, sure most ppl here would not think about v2 juices, but I am curious.

Adam Izer

Jan 9, 2012
Bay Area
i like tribeca alot. very distinct. but i get a hint of chemical taste. I go back sometimes for variety but def not my all-day vape. Halo Prime is just gross, Torque is ok but too strong or something.

Nothing I have tried tastes like Tobacco except for Green Smokes Tobacco Gold (more of a pipe or cigar tobacco instead of cigarette), and maybe their Red Label. But the Tobacco Gold is my favorite. Just wish I could buy juice instead of carts.

What I'd like to see is a survey-style form to create a simple database that allows ECF users to check off flavor preferences on a scale of 1-10, then allowing users to use the data to search for recommendations.

example:

Adam Izer
Tribeca = 7
Green Smoke Tobacco Gold = 9
Halo Prime = 1
Johnson's Creek Original = 7
Wicked USA Strawberry = 9
ECBlends Red Box = 2
ECBlends Tabacco = 5

A person can then use all the info search for users who put their favorites in their 7+ category to find other stuff they might like.

Anyone have any extra time on your hands? (i know this will be done in about 7 hours based on what i see on ECF :)

Cartoon Dude

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2008
Planet of the Vapes
I loved Tribecca when I started, but find it's the only flavor that loses taste as the day goes on, despite drinking lots of water. I guess I'm going to have to order another bottle

I notice the loss of flavor after a while. Always seems fine again in the A.M. Also odd: Tribeca tastes different in my Vmod XL and Vmod 2.0 - better in the XL. Can't figure that one out, both using the same Silo cartos at the same ohm rating. Perhaps the different voltages?

rrayda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
the icy northlands
Juices I find to be VERY similar to Tribeca:

IkenVape RY4
Vapor Station VS4
Ecopure Rich
Vaperite Rock Star

These juices are from the same family tree as you said. Some other juices I love, though not really like Tribeca, I think you would like too:

Alien Visions Boba's Bounty
Backwoods Brew RY4 and Casablanca
Vaperite VR4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread