If you quit smoking and have been vaping with nicotine for a while, did your circulation improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4am

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2011
Colorado
One of my biggest problems with being a smoker is having cold hands (especially at the computer). I am also concerned about things like blood clots, etc because I sit for long periods of time in my job.

Have you noticed an improvement in the warmth of your extremities? Or is this circulation issue still there (caused by nicotine)?

Just curious!

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
My hands and feet get cold easily, but I don't know whether it had to do with smoking or not. I've never had my circulation checked directly, but my hemoglobin levels are back down in the normal range (hemoglobin levels can be high for smokers, because the carbon monoxide in smoke binds hemoglobin, so you have to make more). My blood pressure and breathing have also improved.

If you have to sit for long periods it's always a good idea to change positions, do desk-ercizes and move around when you can.

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Part of the problem is that we are all extremely unfit compared to people of fifty or a hundred years ago. Our bodies are simply not built to be totally inactive, as dictated by modern lifestyles. As an example, people who are recovering from a heart attack are commonly told to walk five miles a day. Those I know who complied with this instruction are now fitter than at any time since they were eighteen.

This being the case, I'd simply advise someone with circulation issues to walk one mile a day fast. Wear sensible shoes and clothing, and go for it - don't dawdle. After a month of that, see how things are going. Most people would see some sort of improvement. We're built to work hard, then rest, then work. We are not built to sit around doing nothing and the result is illness. Doctors who are general practitioners say 75% or 80% of people who consult them are there due to lifestyle choices - ill because of the way they live.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
My circulation greatly improved after quitting cigarettes because I switched over to vaping. (all other methods of quitting didn't work for me). The following winter after my eGo arrived (which I recieved shortly after Christmas), I was startled to discover that the icy tap water didn't hurt my hands when washing up. I happily stopped preparring a batch of warm water in a pitcher for my hand rinses. Incredible! Also, the cold cold winter will usually beg me to wear at least 3 pairs of socks, thermals under my flannels/jeans over those/sweatpants over those. NO MORE!! How liberating is that!!!
I was even able to cut down to zero nic for a few months last summer, until stress overtook me. I'm back on nic, but am doing fine.
It may take you awhile, perhaps some months, but you too might discover that the cold doesn't pain you anymore. Good luck!!!

P.S. Yes, the walking really helps too. I'm pretty active, at my own pace, with all the outdoor chores that comes with living in the country. But, I wasn't a "fast" walker, or chore monger. UNTIL, after I realized I wasn't panting hard anymore just walking up the hill to fill the water trough. Wow!! Naturally, I started walking faster just from shear joy, and one thing leads to another and .... well, go see for yourself. :)

Last edited:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
While it is nothing compared to smoking 1.5 pad, too much vaped nic will cause these symptoms of peripheral cold and/or numbness. I am fairly active physically, and this definitely helps big time. I would say my stamina and circulation are worlds better than while smoking. Lowering nic levels also goes a long way. Nic is a vaso-constrictor, no matter the source. I try not to exceed 12 mg.

atom48

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2009
Colorado
I, too, have been plagued with poor circulation...cold hands and feet. My blood oxygen level was around 89. I didn't realize that that really wasn't so great. But I smoked for 45 years. After I retired, I started vaping and stopped smoking. Even as a couch potato, my blood oxygen level is now around 94...better. So, my conclusion is that, yes, switching from smoking to vaping has helped to improve my own circulation...even though I still vape nicotine. Remember that one of the by-products of smoking is carbon monoxide. To my knowledge, not so with vaping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread