igo-w4

Status
Not open for further replies.

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
hey all, decided to make a separate thread for this instead of having 2 different topics in one thread.
i have a k101 mod and igo-w4. when setup on dual coil, the th are too intense. im talking no more than a half second drag. switch it to a single coil and th are there. it gives a good warm hit. nothing too hot or too cold. is this normal or is something set up wrong? i understand that people sometimes open up the air holes on rda's, im guessing this is why. please correct me if im wrong. if this is what needs to be done to make the th easier on me with a dual coil, what is the preferred method of doing so? coil is right around 1 ohm on dual so single should be 2 ohm. this is based off of copying (to the t) of some video. i know i should properly test the ohms but until vapemail gets here with my ohm meter, im s-o-l on that.

side question...how do i know when i need to redrip? i dont want to wait to long and burn the wick up but i dont want to over fill it either. in my noobness and still learning stage, i take the cap off every few hits and look at it and drip a few drips (to fill without flooding the cotton). is there an easier way to know or rule of thumb?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
well you have to make sure both coils are perfectly aligned with the two airholes, any air coming in that doesnt hit the coils directly will increase TH.

are you sure in dual mode the wicks are staying wet enough?

beyond that no idea.
you need to soak that cotton good and wet. i usually pull the drip tips out and leave the caps on 8-10 drops easy. until there is extra juice sitting on the deck, the burnt hit may in fact be the wicks running too dry.

once you get used to the smooth flavor of a nice wet wick you will easily taste the wick going dry.

Last edited:
I can tell it is time to drip again because I will taste a very slight burnt taste. It doesn't seem to hurt my wick any. I do not go sub ohms so I cannot help with the other issue.

How do you like the igo w otherwise? I am looking to upgrade from the bridge less 510s and cheapo octopus drippers. I'd like to try my hand at rebuilding single coils on an igo w but I'm very nervous about it.

jkais3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Mankato, MN, USA
I can tell it is time to drip again because I will taste a very slight burnt taste. It doesn't seem to hurt my wick any. I do not go sub ohms so I cannot help with the other issue.

How do you like the igo w otherwise? I am looking to upgrade from the bridge less 510s and cheapo octopus drippers. I'd like to try my hand at rebuilding single coils on an igo w but I'm very nervous about it.

Do you have any way of checking resistance? With a mod, one of those resistance checkers, or a multimeter?

If you do, 101vape sells youde igo-w for $10. I think it comes with wick and some wire. But I use cotton and wire I got from lightningvapes off of ebay for about $5 for 100ft of 32awg.

Revelene

ECF Veteran
Sep 29, 2013
Kentucky, USA
Are the coils evenly spaced from the air hole and posts? You don't want them too close to the posts nor do you want them too close to the inside of the cap.

Are you using too much wick? Too much wick in the wrong places will cause some odd tastes and TH. I recommend having the wick come out one side of the coil and not the other as to force a direct flow of the liquid.

Shine a light through the top hole with the tip removed and look at the side air holes and make sure you see the coil is in direct air flow.

Basically, always check for these things... Air flow, wick, and resistance. The more air flow, the more vapor, less TH. Wick can be tricky but the ultimate goal is to keep the coil wet without over doing it. The coil being too wet will cause some nasty things... The lower the resistance, the hotter the vape. Some flavors do not like higher temps. With my experience, juice with higher VG percentage handles the heat better.

Nicotine is the biggest cause of TH. Where you are using 2 coils something like 12mg may be too intense for some. I personally use 6mg on my dual coil sub-ohm builds..

I have the original Igo-W and love it so I bet the version 4 you have is just as good if not better.

Happy vaping!

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
New question, if you are switching juices, do you vape til dryish and redrip with juice b or do you take out cotton, redo wick, drop juice b fresh?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I always change my cotton out..you can't dry burn cotton, but you don't have to change out cotton, if you don't mind mixing that flavor.

If you're still having throat hit issues, can you post a picture of your build, saturated with liquid? Really, a shot of the inside of the coils to see how thick you have your wick is what I want to see.

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
I figured out that the main problem is airholes, they are the stock holes but I will be drilling them out tonight to make it much cooler. I don't thread cotton through the coils but currently am doing the dragon wick where it surrounds it. Ill be messing with it all day tomorrow with wicks and possibly changing coils. I think I'm at .96 right now. May change it for fun

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I figured out that the main problem is airholes, they are the stock holes but I will be drilling them out tonight to make it much cooler. I don't thread cotton through the coils but currently am doing the dragon wick where it surrounds it. Ill be messing with it all day tomorrow with wicks and possibly changing coils. I think I'm at .96 right now. May change it for fun

I have gotten high throat hit when
- too much juice on the deck. cold vape seems to make th stronger
- voltage wasn't matched properly with the resistance
- had to drop from 18mg to 12mg nicotine when switching from clearo to RDA since it delivered stronger th
- coil had pretty large hot spot which burned the juice in irregular pattern

funny enough, didn't have much correlation between air hole size and th. i know it definitely plays a role (and makes sense)

BillyWJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2013
usa
hey all, decided to make a separate thread for this instead of having 2 different topics in one thread.
i have a k101 mod and igo-w4. when setup on dual coil, the th are too intense. im talking no more than a half second drag. switch it to a single coil and th are there. it gives a good warm hit. nothing too hot or too cold. is this normal or is something set up wrong? i understand that people sometimes open up the air holes on rda's, im guessing this is why. please correct me if im wrong. if this is what needs to be done to make the th easier on me with a dual coil, what is the preferred method of doing so? coil is right around 1 ohm on dual so single should be 2 ohm. this is based off of copying (to the t) of some video. i know i should properly test the ohms but until vapemail gets here with my ohm meter, im s-o-l on that.

side question...how do i know when i need to redrip? i dont want to wait to long and burn the wick up but i dont want to over fill it either. in my noobness and still learning stage, i take the cap off every few hits and look at it and drip a few drips (to fill without flooding the cotton). is there an easier way to know or rule of thumb?

What level of nicotine are you using on it?

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
Well, first was an odds and ends mix of 0mg hawaiin punch, 0mg melon, 12 mg strawberry/melon trying to figure out the heat. Now that I changed the airholes...I tried a not steeped enough 6mg juice. Next is fresh cotton and a roughly 8-10mg blend of melon and strawberry. Ill be doing a dragon style wick on a nano .7 ohm dual coil

weezymagic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2013
STL
Still hits hard. I find its easier on the throat if I pull hard but still am limited to length of pull by heat on my throat. I haven't stressed it mainly because I don't want to hurt my throat or lungs. I can't say much beyond when I start to feel it because that's when I stop pulling. I may play with pulsing while pulling to try to keep heat down. I also think that I'm pulling in liquid when I inhale. When I pulse the setup without the cap, I notice a popping of very little liquid so thus may contribute to the heat I feel when vaping.

Thoughts?

Also, I may try going higher and lower in ohms to see differences in vape. As always, I will be using my ohm meter and Sony vtc4's

ZeroOhms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Still hits hard. I find its easier on the throat if I pull hard but still am limited to length of pull by heat on my throat. I haven't stressed it mainly because I don't want to hurt my throat or lungs. I can't say much beyond when I start to feel it because that's when I stop pulling. I may play with pulsing while pulling to try to keep heat down. I also think that I'm pulling in liquid when I inhale. When I pulse the setup without the cap, I notice a popping of very little liquid so thus may contribute to the heat I feel when vaping.

Thoughts?

Also, I may try going higher and lower in ohms to see differences in vape. As always, I will be using my ohm meter and Sony vtc4's

Maybe try these two technique.
1) When firing, let it fire for a few seconds without drawing in. And draw the vapor in while continuing to fire. If this works, the coil resistance is too high for the voltage coming in.
2) If you made the hole big already, try firing without inhaling at all. Let the vapor come into your mouth instead of you pulling it. If the hole is big enough, fresh air should come into the chamber by themselves due to the heating of coil. I found myself doing this more often after I enlarged the hole on IGO-W4 and it definitely soften the th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread