IGO W6 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAscooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
I have an IGO W6 coming today. Just so you are aware, I build coils and feel comfortable with building coils and understand Ohm's law and use the charts when building. I have a multi meter and an ohm meter. I saw the IGO W6 available and the price was right so in a crazy moment, placed the order. I had read about the IGO W6 and realize it can be a real pain to build and know that I should have gotten something a little easier for my first rda. I guess I like challenges.

My question is what would be the best dual coil build for a first time build. I have 28, 30 and 32 guage Kanthal. I have a Hana, Sigeliei 20w, Provari and 3 mech clones. I don't think I even want to attempt a quad coil first time and am planning on using cotton instead of silica. I would appreciate any thoughts on builds and pros and cons of cotton vs silica.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I had read about the IGO W6 and realize it can be a real pain to build and know that I should have gotten something a little easier for my first RDA. I have 28, 30 and 32 guage Kanthal. I would appreciate any thoughts on builds and pros and cons of cotton vs silica.
They aren't any more difficult than other 5 post RDAs. In fact, staggered height studs can offer a bit more room than first imagined. Genuine Youde drippers are, for the most part, well made - with good post fit, good screw threads and a cap fit that isn't too loose or tight... so they won't try to "fight back" like many of the cheap clone RDAs will.

I kinda get the feeling that this is your first RDA, or perhaps, even your first rebuildable. If not, just build your usual DC set-up with a resistance you're comfortable with.

If on the other hand, it's the former...

Staying within my self-imposed, golden rule of a 7~11 wrap count, a good place to start, giving you a decent wrap count/surface area will be a pair of 8 (1.5mm mandrel) or 7 (2.0mm mandrel) wrap, compressed 28 gauge coils at 1.0Ω each... for a net resistance of 0.5Ω+/-.
This will work fine, using any battery with a minimum continuous amp drain of 10a or better (do the OL math to confirm)... giving you about a 15% safety margin.

If 0.5Ω is a bit scary to start... 0.8Ω+/- net, can be achieved using 11 wraps, on a 2mm mandrel. Any good quality 18XXX battery, or any APV that can run at 20 watts, will be fine.

Wick is a highly subjective area of discussion... I suggest you try them all to determine what's best for you.
If one or the other had a clear advantage in flavor, then everyone would be using... oh, wait! Everyone is using cotton.
rofl2.gif

Seriously, my favorites place silica fairly low on the list, with XC-116 taking first place, followed by cotton, hemp... then German silica and Russian Ekowool tied for 3rd. Ramie is still in "test phase" - it may beat cotton, but too soon to tell. China silica and Ekowool are crap unless you torch the hell out of them, then they are just less crappy.

Other than I suggest you click on both my sig line hyperlinks, that's it...

Wow! I wrote all this, and I'm still the first responder?

vampyrex13

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2014
United States
It sucks for dual setups. It's really designed for quad builds. I found 28 and 26 gauge works great in it, assuming your battery can handle high amp draws. Also, I've rebuilt mine many times and didn't find it very hard to do. You just need to insert the bottom coils into the bottom center post hole, use a small flathead to lower the bottom nut, then drop the middle nut down onto it to help lock it in place. Do the same for the top coils, and your set.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
It sucks for dual setups. It's really designed for quad builds.

This x 1000. The Igo-W6 is marketed as being for both dual and quad coil builds, but it's really built for quad coil. Because you have to have both coils on one end, the dual coil setup doesn't allow one to efficiently use the space on the deck, and likely causes hot spots of vapor in the cap (because all of the heat is being generated on one end).

I ordered it thinking that I'd use it for dual coils for now, and then quad coils later on when I felt the desire to try it. After opening it and giving it an initial inspection with my wire and cotton at the ready, I put it back in the rebuilding toolbox to be used later if I ever get the itch to try a quad coil build.

VAscooter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 23, 2014
Springfield, MO
This x 1000. The Igo-W6 is marketed as being for both dual and quad coil builds, but it's really built for quad coil. Because you have to have both coils on one end, the dual coil setup doesn't allow one to efficiently use the space on the deck, and likely causes hot spots of vapor in the cap (because all of the heat is being generated on one end).

I ordered it thinking that I'd use it for dual coils for now, and then quad coils later on when I felt the desire to try it. After opening it and giving it an initial inspection with my wire and cotton at the ready, I put it back in the rebuilding toolbox to be used later if I ever get the itch to try a quad coil build.

Thanks for the insight. Coil building doesn't bother me and I've been watching some videos on the quad coild builds so will give it a shot. It looks like the center post is going to the biggest issue. It looks too like I don't want to have a hangover or excessive caffeine in my system while trying to set the coils.

Does anything think the 28 gauge Kanthal will be an option or should I invest in some smaller gauge.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
Sweet!

Here's a question for you?

Do you torch your coils, or simply burn them on the MOD to get them tight? I burn mine on the MOD. It works just as well and removes a step from the building process. If you burn them on the MOD, how did you find being able to navigate your tweezer/pliers with vertical coils? Was it cumbersome?

vampyrex13

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2014
United States
I torch them if they aren't close to perfect when I wrap them, otherwise I burn them on the mod. If it is a small gauge wire, I always torch it first to help temper the wire because it sometimes deforms when I burn it on the mod. I also bought a pair of ceramic tweezers to aid with the process. I had no issues with my plyers.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I torch them if they aren't close to perfect when I wrap them, otherwise I burn them on the mod. If it is a small gauge wire, I always torch it first to help temper the wire because it sometimes deforms when I burn it on the mod. I also bought a pair of ceramic tweezers to aid with the process. I had no issues with my plyers.

I also use ceramic tipped tweezers, though I just recently learned that 28g wire deforms if you heat it too long and squeeze it. I have a torch, but need fuel for it. I'd likely use it to temper the springiness out of the wire before wrapping a coil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread