IkenVape's 801 Fusion Cartomizer: Wowsa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
NOTE: Unlike most of the products I've reviewed, I actually paid for this with my own soft-earned money, so no caveat is needed. ['soft-earned': social security + pension + book royalties + vaping Guides ad revenue, i.e., all the hard work was in the past.]

Although I began my vaping career with the cartomizer-based Kr8, I quickly abandoned cartos because of their disconcerting undertaste and mediocre vapor production. I've spent the bulk of the past two years direct dripping with 801 atomizers.

Recently, however, I discovered (along with thousands of other vapers) that cartomizers have really improved. What first seduced me back into the carto world was the Bloog MaxX Fusion, which I reviewed in February. Both its supermini-sized battery and revamped carto are quite wonderful. And it made me aware how tired of dripping I had become.

Then Kent C gifted me with the eGo-T. Although the tanks designed for it are merely OK for my personal vaping, I've been trying other attys and cartos on it. My favorite 510 carto is the Smok Tech dual coil. Very impressive! [You heard it here...last.;-)] I got mine ($2 ea) from Hoosier E-Cig Supply.

At around the same period of time, I tried out a couple different cartomizers from IkenVape, including the 801 Fusion.:wub:
[FONT="]♪[/FONT][FONT="]♫ [/FONT]Love is lovelier the second time around...[FONT="]♪[/FONT][FONT="]♫
[/FONT]
The deep, rich taste of the best penstyle atomizers (e.g., EastMall's DSE801, Joye302, and Leo) and the convenience of a mega cartomizer! And, yes, it is kind of mega ... at least relative to a standard Kr8 or 510 carto, although not as large as the dual coil (or certainly the Go-Go). Frankly, I'm not sure of its precise ml capacity. It's not shown on the IkenVape site and I neglected to count the number of drops I put in the first time. [After a couple weeks (during which I've also vaped other cartos), I'm still on my first cartomizer, topping off about 10 drops at a time.]

801%20Fusion%20blk-250x250.jpg

With a small 510-to-801 adapter (e.g., $1 from Good Prophets), it fits a 510-based fat batt like the eGo perfectly, even with the cone – sticking out about as far as a dual coil without adapter. [NOTE: IkenVape also sells adapters (for $2.25), but they are larger.] In addition to the black shown above, it also is available in silver (the appearance of which is not accurately reflected in the photo below). This looks fantastic with a steel/aluminum drip tip (510/901-sized) on a chrome fat batt.

801%20Fusion%20Slvr-250x250.jpg

The 801 Fusion is rated 2.5 ohms, which is "LR" for an 801. It performs well on a 3.2V eGo, although I prefer it at 3.7V (e.g., on my 1100 mAh KGO from Hoosier). 5.5 watts may not sound impressive, but it hits great: massive vapor, strong TH, and...well I already mentioned the taste.

Isaac sells them for a buck eighty apiece ($1.70, if you order five of them). Even if you consider yourself a 510 vaper, I urge you strongly to give it a try. Highly recommended!:thumb:

Now the bad news: IkenVape currently is out of stock (on both the black and silver).:( [I don't like being a tease (well, at least, not in this case). I just had to get this review out of my system ... and if it stimulates others to nag Isaac to bring it back in stock, so much the better.]

Last edited:

emonty

Flavor Junky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
the Netherlands
You convinced me, now Isaac needs to have them in stock again. I have been using the SmokeTech DC carto's for some time now, but frankly I find the fact that the flavor is muted, it not to be one of my favorites. If I compare them with 306's and even a standard 510 LR, I have to admit that I go back again to those every time. The DC carto's are good in terms of good vapor and TH, but for me flavor is as important. So, I will 4sure try the fusions as I know Isaac's products are top notch.....thxs for the review

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Don, thank you for the review. Nicely done.

However, I'm somewhat baffled. The fusion is a 510 carto with a 801 connection. It does make sense for folks who use 801 batteries. But if you're using your eGos, you're basically taking a 510 carto that had been adapted to a 801 connection and then use an adapter to be able to use it on a 510 device. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.... Why bother? Why not use a 510 carto? [Not to mention that the fusion is a bit too airy if used on a non-native connector.]

I've been using Isaac's 510 Premium Platinum cartos on my eGos and my SE Rivas (true 3.7v) and I love them! [It is my understanding that the fusion is just a 510 Premium Platinum with a 801 connector.] I also use and love the 2.0Ω Boge cartos.

I ordered the fusions (and an adapter) just to test them--I find absolutely no difference in flavor, vapor production or performance...

What am I missing?

melloyello

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
usa
i have the bmf myself...and i also have a riva so ive tried the bmf cartos and ive also tried the boge 2.0 and honestly the flavor carries through quite a bit cleaner on bmf. vapor is the same but if the bmf carto came in a 510 threading? i would be all over it on my riva. my initial question was if the reviewed carto was equal or better than the bmf carto. chances are the flavor is carried through better with the bmf because the carto is bottom coil? ive hear the go-go'ers say the same with the go-go cartos...they are guessing because of the bottom coil. i might be in the woods with this and you can sure straighten me out of thats the case.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Mn.Puffer, I love the performance of the Bloog cartos, however, in my tests, I had some problems with burning taste. I'm still not sure what the cause of that burnt taste was. The autopsies revealed almost pristine filler but also a presence of some adhesive at the bottom of the carto. Again, I know that Leaford was looking into this problem, but I'm not sure if any changes have been made since the early batch that I tested. That said, the Bloog is a great little carto when it works as it should, which is not always the case, at least in my experience.

The horizontal coil in itself is not better or worse than the vertical coil. There are many other factors contributing to the performance of a cartomizer; the quality and density of the filler, the wicking, the proper airflow through the carto and so on.

In my experience, the Boge 510 cartos have been the most reliable and problem free of all the cartomizers I've tested.

Now, to answer your question; in my opinion, the IKV Fusion, Boge 2.5Ω and IKV Premium Platinum 510 seem to be identical and I prefer them to BMF cartos, at least for now. YMMV, as always.

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
Don, thank you for the review. Nicely done.

However, I'm somewhat baffled. The fusion is a 510 carto with a 801 connection. It does make sense for folks who use 801 batteries. But if you're using your eGos, you're basically taking a 510 carto that had been adapted to a 801 connection and then use an adapter to be able to use it on a 510 device. That makes no sense to me whatsoever.... Why bother? Why not use a 510 carto? [Not to mention that the fusion is a bit too airy if used on a non-native connector.]

I've been using Isaac's 510 Premium Platinum cartos on my eGos and my SE Rivas (true 3.7v) and I love them! [It is my understanding that the fusion is just a 510 Premium Platinum with a 801 connector.] I also use and love the 2.0Ω Boge cartos.

I ordered the fusions (and an adapter) just to test them--I find absolutely no difference in flavor, vapor production or performance...

What am I missing?
Thanks, Katya!

As a non-techie, non-modder, I have no idea what's inside these things, e.g., I've never taken one apart. As far as I know, Isaac's "801 Fusion" is the same as his "510 Premium Platinum", but with a different fitting and different name. Maybe I'm just getting a placebo effect from the "801" designation. Of the two of us, you are the expert on this subject, since I have not tried the 510 Premium Platinum. I have tried the "510 Cartomizer Gold V2" and I do notice a difference. It also is very good and I enjoy switching off with it (and with the Smok Tech dual coil).

The differences are subtle and too intangible for me to describe. I notice more pronounced differences among different e-liquids, nicotine levels, and even: how full the carto is, how used it is, and how charged the battery is.

FYI: I do not find the 801 Fusion to be "a bit too airy" when used with my short 510-to-801 adapter on my 3.7V fat batt. If you are correct about the 801 Fusion and the 510 Premium Platinum being identical other than connector, then I agree that it "makes no sense...whatsoever" to do what I'm doing. Otherwise, I'm losing nothing. We really should ask Isaac about this.

how do they compare to BMF cartos as far as vapor and flavor? since you have tried both, i want to hear your opinion.
The key word is "opinion." Since you asked, I'll give you mine, but it is just that; it is not a "verdict."

I like them both (as well as the Leo cartomizer). The differences are sharper than within the 510 and IkenVape carto world. Like all Kr8s, the MaxX Fusion has more of an "edge" and, perhaps, a stronger TH. The vapor production on all these being discussed is outstanding – so different from the world of vaping when I entered it two years ago. The closest to a "perfect" vape (for me) that I've discovered is the Boge Leo (atty and carto): a deep, warm, rich flavor. My reservation about it is that there is not (yet, at least) an LR version ... or an adapter for using the Leo atty or carto on a higher voltage battery. I often wish it hit harder.

Until I do find my "perfect" vape (if ever), I enjoy switching back and forth among different cartomizers (and devices). Part of the MaxX Fusion experience is the "Mini" battery, yielding a 103mm, automatic device. I especially enjoy it during my evening cocktail: brings back memories, I suppose. And, of course, functionally it is practical in certain situations, e.g., while driving. Vaping the Leo is like smoking a cigar. Any of these other cartos on a long, slender "fat batt" like my 1100 mAh KGO is a unique experience, somewhat similar to the penstyle I used for so long.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
As a non-techie, non-modder, I have no idea what's inside these things, e.g., I've never taken one apart. As far as I know, Isaac's "801 Fusion" is the same as his "510 Premium Platinum", but with a different fitting and different name.

I take everything apart. :facepalm:

The first batch of the Fusions was advertised by Isaac as a 510 with an 801 cannector. That said, you are correct--the Fusion does not resemble his 510 Gold V2 carto. In my perception, it does very closely resemble the Platinum.

I have tried the "510 Cartomizer Gold V2" and I do notice a difference.

I do too.

We really should ask Isaac about this.

Now that's a thought. :)

The key word is "opinion."

Yup!

doots

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2009
safe-list.com
Very Good review Don.. I use the 801 Fusions too and really like them. The DCs are also good..
I have found that I really like the Boge cartos just as much as I do the Fusions and the DCs.
I use them all at 5v mostly. I like to switch between them all.. Cant say which ones I like best but all are tops in my book.
I dont use Attys much any more for the same reason you sited. Tired of dripping.. and the cost :)

nbourbaki

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2010
Cincinnati
Very Good review Don.. I use the 801 Fusions too and really like them. The DCs are also good..
I have found that I really like the Boge cartos just as much as I do the Fusions and the DCs.
I use them all at 5v mostly. I like to switch between them all.. Cant say which ones I like best but all are tops in my book.
I dont use Attys much any more for the same reason you sited. Tired of dripping.. and the cost :)

What resistance and how long do they last typically?

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Don,

If you like the regular Fusions @ 3.7 volts, you owe it to yourself to try the LR Fusions @ 3.7 volts. The flavor of regular Fusions will seem dead in comparison. Easily the tastiest carto I have ever had @ 3.7 volts by miles, including Bloog MaxxFusions, SmokTech Dual Coils (1.8 ohm -- just got the 1.5 and 1.25 ohm versions), pretty much all the other IKV cartos, and even the Boge LR (ok, maybe not miles above the Boge LR, but I would give the LR Fusions the edge though please keep in mind I just started playing with the Boges). VapeRite's Banana Nut Bread is amazing on the LR Fusions and I can't wait to get some more to try on the LR Boges.

laserjik

Apr 1, 2010
chicago
mine are tasting like ....... nd im jus ....... went through about ten cartos and get a tiny burnt taste with the flavor, a couple work, the 801 fusions i just got i put about 35 drops let it sit for 2 minutes vaped and tasted nothing but burnt metal. I started dripping like at least another 12 drops waited and vaped got a little flavor and burnt again . Kept vaping dripping 2 drops until im reaching around 60 drops. Don't get how anyone can say this carto only holds 40... i am just now starting to only taste my flavor... Can anyone give me like a guide on how to do this the right way lol.. nope getting a flavor that smells like im in a hospital now?!?! screw cartos.

Last edited:

melloyello

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2011
usa
the amount of drops is not accurate since the holes in dropper bottle vary depending on size of bottle (or dripper).

the only time you get scorched/burnt taste froma carto (at least initially) is when it is not filled completely/correctly.

you have to keep dripping inliquid into it until it start to puddle at the top and STAYS at the top even 5 mins later.

another fool proof way of filling the carto is to keep dripping into the filler until you get a drop from the threaded end.

hope that helps.

khilpaine

Dec 13, 2010
ohio
I may be wrong but I think the fitting is the is the answer I just got my first one and let me tell you I have just about every carto out , I rotate cartos like people rotate flavors but this one after just 5 MLS of juice has earned its place in the lineup 5 stars
fusion801
boge 510 lr
kanger hc 510
ccv resurrector 510
smoketech 510
boge 306 lr

I also purchased his 901 and 808s haven't got there yet

Vaprasticator

Feb 5, 2012
Memphis, TN
Isaac's 801 fusions have quickly become my favorite carto. I mostly use them on my buzz pro or Gripper box mod. The thing I like so much about them is that while they are an LR carto, they stand up to higher voltages quite well. I have yet to use them on my kgo battery.

I have also tried the Gold V2 and Platinum 510 cartos from Ikenvape. In my experience, there is a difference. I got the highest resistance models available at the time, somewhere near 3 ohms, and the main thing I noticed is that, at 5ish volts, the fusions don't burn the juice and the 510 gold and platinums do. However, I will say that at 3.7v the gold v2s and platinums perform like a champ.

All in all I like Ikenvape's cartos better than any I have tried, and I have tried many types and brands. The fusions though are the best I have had for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread