The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

im getting annoyed..

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by Kevin King, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Kevin King

Kevin King Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2012
    PA
    im trying to make a banana cream pie recipe and its just not happening. everything I make I can barely even taste. i don't usually go past 20% flavoring. and im using 24mg 50/50 base from MFS. at the moment i have LA banana cream flavoring, TFA cheesecake (graham crust) and TFA banana. i don't really have any more flavors that could accommodate this recipe. but if someone knows what im missing please let me know. im about to give up on DIY but i really don't want to. im just sick of tasting nothing. and for some reason my vapor production is lower then it should be it seems. even after adding VG.

2. Chornbro

Chornbro Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 30, 2011
    VA/DC/MD Area
    Look around for a recipe and maybe start there. Also, an acid (lemon juice or Apple Cider Vinegar - 1-2 drops/5ml) and some steeping may help the flavor pop. Not all flavors are created equally, so try the same flavors from different vendors.

Dessert and tobaccos and vanillas and creams usually take the longest to steep... 1-3 weeks for me. How long are you waiting?

3. glassmanoak

glassmanoak Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    Sweetener? TFA Smooth? FA Vape Wizard?

4. michaelsil1

michaelsil1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I just tasted my Banana Cream Pie and I'm having the same problem as you so don't feel bad.

5. michaelsil1

Mar 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    How much Sweetener do you suggest?

6. JD1

JD1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Nov 20, 2010
    KY
    I'd suggest solving this first and take a hard look at your equipment. I'd also highly recommend picking up a cheap rba so that you can control the quality of the vape. Take a look over in the 'Rebuildable Atomizer Systems' for some ideas (just the silica based drippers at this point). As long as you stick with the silica based drippers, it's easy, fun, and now very affordable.

7. glassmanoak

glassmanoak Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Feb 17, 2012
    Lafayette, La
    sucralose.. 1 drop per 5ml

8. michaelsil1

Mar 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    One drop Sucralose (10% solution) per 5ml , thanks.

9. stormwench

stormwench Moved On

May 15, 2013
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Oh banana cream pie, and lemon meringue were toughies. Its doubly hard because what I taste that makes these flavors what I want is not always what the other guy finds satisfying in his recipe since DIY chases the elusive. The BCP from the vendor might be spot on but if you want to make your own to save money getting yours to match can be a headache.

Everyone does things differently but I always work with combining my flavorings when working on some combination flavors. I have none of the diluents it of other products nearby even until I have an idea of what the proportions are to get the taste right. Seems like once I can get that then when adding in things like the diluents- some of which have taste you can adjust the mix for the flavor..

My biggest issue with any things that needed a banana and cream mix was that banana extract comes in a wide range and even if you stick with natural and organic flavors and away from artificial it can run from strong to weak, and some with a hint of banana smell, some without and a wide range of 'bannanieness'. Then you want that 'creamy' aspect that can be hard to nail even with using additions like milk and vanilla flavorings to a thick cream flavoring.

I know DYI has the challenge of taking a bunch of single flavors to mix up to a complex flavor without using a pr-mix of one or two others to get the right taste.

My banana cream had the base of banana ice cream flavoring instead just banana extract and needed a touch of caramel and a little bit of citric acid to zero in on what I think banana cream pie tastes like. I do use a sweetener that I get from MBV.

10. NatTheBrit

NatTheBrit Full Member Verified Member

Oct 3, 2012
    UK
    I made something similiar when i first started DIY'ing and it turned out to be my fave at that time...think i used TFA Banana Cream, Graham Cracker and Caramel. May have used a little Whipped Cream too...not sure on the % i used. But those ingredients definitely made something that smelled and vaped yummy!!
    I remember doing x4 'Hot Bath's on that flavour too :)

11. bnrkwest

bnrkwest Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Cheescake is long steep DIY juice, so I would take that out of the recipe. For Banana cream pie flavor I would try mixing banana, sweet cream and organic danish. I like danish over the pie crust flavors. I think I will go try that! LOL might need a little addition of sour or EM or lemon etc to pop the flavor. bnrk

12. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Remember less is more - in multi-flavoring and Time is your friend.

Do you know what each Flavoring taste like Stand alone? That is your starting point. You must establish a base line ot know what can be cut back(strong) and what may need a bump to balance.

But don't ask me, I'm still learning and like several blends at an 8-14% total.

13. DeeDee1234

DeeDee1234 Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 8, 2013
    Texas
    Cappella's vannilla custard has a creamy pie desert taste to me. Maybe try that with some bannana

14. bnrkwest

bnrkwest Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    I just tried the organic danish, banana and sweet cream, added a drop of sour and sweet and it is really good. I didn't try adding graham cracker, but would probably work well added too. bnrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.