I'm going to have to ask. What is a mod and why do I need it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zealous

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 20, 2012
Texas
Personally I think there's a place for all of it. I don't have or do all of it but there is a place. I do like my evods. And you can rebuild the coils on them....but I don't. I do like RDAs though cuz you can build a coil just the way you want it, and vape all the juices I don't want a whole tank of in it.

I also like the idea of mods cuz you replace the batteries rather than the device. That's nice as batteries are cheaper than an ego twist/spinner. With a mech mod you can build coils of any resistance so you can try out vapes with super low ohms if you want. And then vv/vw devices are nice cuz you can change the vape with the increase of either.

If you're happy with what you have then stick with it. No need to rush out & buy something new. I've been using twists forever & a day & I'm still happy with them. But the rest is just part of the fun of vaping.

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!
I bought mine and realized that the eGo type devices were actually disposable and that it would save me money in the long run if I upgraded to a unit that had replaceable batteries. Of course, I knew for sure that I'd continue vaping and that it was, for ME, a good investment.

Not everyone is going to have the same wants, needs, or method of using a device. It's an intensely personal decision and only you can make it. Also, there's no need to even entertain the thought so early in the game if you're satisfied with what you have.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
There are several reasons to buy a mod, and many variations of mod to get. Do you need one? Absolutely. The same way you need a really good, juicy, perfectly prepared steak sometimes instead of a dinner at Chili's.

If you're looking for more power, buy a mod. If you're wanting something that will last for years and years, and take various size rechargeable batteries - a mod is in your future. If you want something that checks resistance on your atomizers, you may find yourself looking at a mod. If you want something sexy, you'll need a mod. If you plan to vary voltage or wattage depending on your atomizer du jour, a mod may be what you're looking for. If you want to save money over time, you'll need a mod. Maybe you just want to own an interesting looking but utile "thingie." Then you'll be wanting a mod.

One thing I can promise you, if you hang around ECF and keep reading this forum, you'll be buying a mod. Or two. Or three. It's only a matter of time ;)

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The term 'MOD' doesn't really mean much any more. I called my Twist a mod a while back and someone corrected me because mods have replaceable batteries. The MVP has a battery that is not replaceable and it's called a mod. We can also call these puppies a APV. I still don't know what a mod is ;)

I think the term mod comes from a time when commercially made PV's were really simple and if you wanted anything better you had to make it yourself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We've had threads about this and if I remember correctly, no general consensus was achieved.

Do you need a mod? Only if you have a problem with your non-mod :thumb:

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Why do I need mods?

You don't.

But it might end up being a natural progression for you.

But you are happy now, and as you learn more and read more, maybe something will catch your eye that you intrinsically know you might like......but don't run out an buy something you don't need right now.

That happened to me. I got my newbie stuff (ego twists, which had just come out when I started vaping) and about 3 weeks in, I knew clearos and such were not for me, so I got a bottom feeder mod.

I quit smoking using a bottom feeder. :)

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I was more than happy with my first EGO and CE. Got a CE4s to try it out and was happier with that. Then I tried a DCT tank and even happier, then an EVOD and I was overjoyed. Got an SVD to try out the whole VV/VW thing, just out of curiosity, and I was in vaping heaven. I would still be happy with my original setup if I hadn't tried anything else. While I don't regret having tried and gotten into more advanced equipment the drawback is that I'm spending way more money now (still only a fraction of what I was spending when smoking), and I would be sad if I had to return to using EGOs and CE4s :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
The term 'MOD' doesn't really mean much any more. I called my Twist a mod a while back and someone corrected me because mods have replaceable batteries. The MVP has a battery that is not replaceable and it's called a mod. We can also call these puppies a APV. I still don't know what a mod is ;)

I think the term mod comes from a time when commercially made PV's were really simple and if you wanted anything better you had to make it yourself. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

We've had threads about this and if I remember correctly, no general consensus was achieved.

Do you need a mod? Only if you have a problem with your non-mod :thumb:
You nailed it. In the early days your choices were cigalikes or build it yourself. Most of the home made PVs were modified flashlights or battery boxes. When companies started making bigger PVs we still called them mods to distinguish them from cigalikes and the line has just been getting blurrier and blurrier

SueandCootie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2009
south central Mass
You nailed it. In the early days your choices were cigalikes or build it yourself. Most of the home made PVs were modified flashlights or battery boxes. When companies started making bigger PVs we still called them mods to distinguish them from cigalikes and the line has just been getting blurrier and blurrier

You goddit!! I still have my flashlight mod, another one I built out of a hard eyeglass case from Radio Shack parts that held a surefire battery and a tiny dropper bottle in it...it was what a lot of folks did to get some type of battery life and reliability until the commercial products caught up. It was fun, but now I just came back to vaping and I'm blown away by the new equipment; but it was just a matter of time...

Penn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2013
In the wilderness
Since you screw an EVOD onto a MOD, I don't really understand your question. The EVOD just seems to work better if you have both.

If I recall correct the OP has an evod kit. Where the confusion may come is both the battery and the clearo are called "evod".

The evod "battery" isn't really a battery. It is a power source that has a battery built into it and is really just an ego "battery" that looks a bit different. Most mods use replaceable batteries but are still a power source.

As stated here, you can take that evod clearo (the thing you actually put liquid into) and put it on a mod (which is a "battery"). With that clearo, you can just replace the head (part with the coils) with a factory made one or wrap your own coils when the originals wear out. So you don't have to completely change everything for a new setup.

If you did decide to get a mod with removable batteries, the first should probably be a kit so you will have a charger and batteries included.

If you are happy with ego and clearo setups, stay with those. I have an MVP2. If not for that I would still be using egos exclusively since the other types of mods don't interest me.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
What a lovely thread! Thank you very much, OP, for asking a question that I did not dare ask *smiles*
Being from Germany, I was wondering about the American vaping terms, trying to pick them up as I go.

Do I understand this correctly?

- a "battery" (German: "Akku") is in one piece (like an eGo battery or Spinner). When it gets too old, you have to throw it away.
- a mod /advanced personal vaporizer (German "Akkuträger") consists of a tube and the electronic parts, and you put the batteries (like 18650 / 18350 batteries) inside. Thus, when the batteries themselves get too old, you throw away only the batteries, and you can still use the mod / advanced personal vaporizer, just put in new batteries.
- and this has nothing to do with the vaporizer that you use (= the part that contains the heating coil), it is only for the part that provides the electricity

Is this the difference, please?
(I know the difference in my mother tongue, but not in English ;) )

- and "mod" also applies to the items you can purchase (like Evic, VMax), you do not have to make them yourself
- but people used to make them themselves, and the name "mod" stuck, even for something that you do not actually make yourself

Is that correct, please?

If that is correct, then such a battery-containing device is a nice thing indeed, I have some as well, one Evic and one VMax.

The nice thing about those is:
- you can put 3400 mAh batteries in the Evic, those will last a long, long time without recharging
- once you have bought the device, it comes cheaper, as you have to exchange only the batteries themselves when they break down, and that is much cheaper than discarding and re-purchasing the whole eGo, Spinner etc batteries

And if that is correct, then that has nothing to do with the whole re-building, re-coiling DIY vaporizers thing. For those things (imho), a person has to be technically / mechanically minded. I am not, so I do not do that :)

CommaHolly

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2012
Plant City, FL
What a lovely thread! Thank you very much, OP, for asking a question that I did not dare ask *smiles*
Being from Germany, I was wondering about the American vaping terms, trying to pick them up as I go.

Do I understand this correctly?

- a "battery" (German: "Akku") is in one piece (like an eGo battery or Spinner). When it gets too old, you have to throw it away.
- a mod /advanced personal vaporizer (German "Akkuträger") consists of a tube and the electronic parts, and you put the batteries (like 18650 / 18350 batteries) inside. Thus, when the batteries themselves get too old, you throw away only the batteries, and you can still use the mod / advanced personal vaporizer, just put in new batteries.
- and this has nothing to do with the vaporizer that you use (= the part that contains the heating coil), it is only for the part that provides the electricity

Is this the difference, please?
(I know the difference in my mother tongue, but not in English ;) )

- and "mod" also applies to the items you can purchase (like Evic, VMax), you do not have to make them yourself
- but people used to make them themselves, and the name "mod" stuck, even for something that you do not actually make yourself

Is that correct, please?

If that is correct, then such a battery-containing device is a nice thing indeed, I have some as well, one Evic and one VMax.

The nice thing about those is:
- you can put 3400 mAh batteries in the Evic, those will last a long, long time without recharging
- once you have bought the device, it comes cheaper, as you have to exchange only the batteries themselves when they break down, and that is much cheaper than discarding and re-purchasing the whole eGo, Spinner etc batteries

And if that is correct, then that has nothing to do with the whole re-building, re-coiling DIY vaporizers thing. For those things (imho), a person has to be technically / mechanically minded. I am not, so I do not do that :)

Pretty correct :) Your English is excellent!

the term "vaporizer" though, is usually used for the ENTIRE unit,,,,,,,,the part with the coil is called an atomizer,,,,,or a clearo,,,,,or a tank,,,or a carto,,,depending on the form factor.

However, you are right,,,,lol,,,,,,that particular part DOES do the vaporizing :)

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
Ultimately the big question is does a mod do for you what you want it to.....

Why I chose a mechanical mod after using cigalikes and kits and a bunch of other crap. It can do all of the following:

- It is compatable with 301, 510, 808 and 901 cartos and attys.
- It is compatable with Rebuildable atomizers (RBA's) and I can safely go as low as 0.6 ohms if I choose.
- It has a collapsable safety spring if I go to low on ohms.
- I don't have to worry about cracking tanks since there is no tank.
- I can drip/fill from the top or bottom feed.
- I can use 3.7v batteries up to 3000 mah or if I want more power I can use 6v batteries.
- The batteries are dirt cheap. They range from $3 to $9 each. I have been using the same batteries for almost 3 years and they still will go a day and a half at 17 hours per day no problem.
- Cartos run about $1.25 each and last anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks depending on the juice.
- Wrapping a new coil and wick on an RBA costs less than 3 cents total. The coil will last a few weeks and the wick a few days.
- I can change the ohms of the coil based on how many wraps if I want more vapor or more warmth or more flavor/throat hit.
- I can wrap a new coil and wick in the same time it takes to fill a carto.
- Being all mechanical, there are no wires or electronics. I can and I have dropped it in a swimming pool. Change the battery and carto and I am back in business in less than 3 minutes. Try that with an electronic ecig.
- It is made out of aluminum and darn near indestructable. I throw it across the room and my dog brings it back to me. It is a game we play. I can and I have dropped it 6 feet onto concrete many times and then picked it back up and used it like nothing happened.
- I have been using the same one for almost 3 years and it is still going as strong as the day I bought it. I bought more of the same mod, just so this one wouldnt get lonely.
- I can fill the internal bottle, put a freshly charged battery in it and take it to work for 12+ hours of non stop vaping without the need to carry any extra juice or batteries or parts.

Basically I boght this one because it boils down to this thing being dependable, reliable, and endless combinations available to find that perfect vape at the perfect voltage and ohms. Once you find that nirvana, for pennies a day, you will never go back. Just my :2c:

EvilZoe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 26, 2013
Savoir-Faire is everywhere!

the term "vaporizer" though, is usually used for the ENTIRE unit,,,,,,,,the part with the coil is called an atomizer,,,,,or a clearo,,,,,or a tank,,,or a carto,,,depending on the form factor.

However, you are right,,,,lol,,,,,,that particular part DOES do the vaporizing :)

I would like to add that the "mods" have cheaper, replaceable batteries where an eGo type battery IS a battery and the whole unit is disposed of when it ceases to hold a charge after a few months.

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida

Is that correct, please?

When ecigs first came out, they all looked like cigarettes. Blue ecigs/gas station disposables, etc. The tip would light up with a LED so people would feel like they were smoking.

People started modifying or creating their own which did not look like cigarettes. Basically a mod is a device that does not look like the original ecig. It evolved to box mod (looks like a box instead of a cigarette), tube mod (looks like a tube), tank mod, etc.

So battery = rechargable battery (18650, 14500) etc, that you throw away when it doesnt work any more.

Mod = generic term for an ecig that does not look like a cig and has replacable/rebuilable parts like attys and batteries.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany

Thank you very much, dear, I really appreciate the compliment and the information! :)
So, I am learning now... great!

So, in English, the "vaporizer" is the whole thing, ok. The electricity comes from the battery or the mod - and the part with the coil that does the vaporizing is called the atomizer. Can I also call it an atomizer if it is a clearo? Like I would say "dog" if it is a Pekinese? (We do in German. "Verdampfer" is "Verdampfer" = the thing with the coil in it that makes the vapor. And there are different kinds).

I am still wrestling with the terms here. More than willing to learn though :)

@EvilZoe:

I would like to add that the "mods" have cheaper, replaceable batteries where an eGo type battery IS a battery and the whole unit is disposed of when it ceases to hold a charge after a few months.
Thank you! Yes, those are great and save money in the long run.

@bones1274:
Mod = generic term for an ecig that does not look like a cig and has replacable/rebuilable parts like attys and batteries.

Hm.. the mod is the whole thing? Or just the battery-containing part?

*crying in my German beer* - I thought I was learning....

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Thanks for the answers everyone I appreciate it but I want to reply to Thrasher and say I really don't want to get into the nitty gritty of the mechanics of these devices because I would be TERRIBLE at it. I would however like some company to say hey that EVOD you have here is another one which is a hundred times better it just cost more. I would save up and buy it.

I hope I haven't offended any hobbyists with this thread I'm just trying to understand it all.

Definitely not offended. When I started, which wasn't so long ago, I went through a bunch of different EVOD-like systems. Some were decent, some were OK, some were crap. Problem was, two pieces of gear with the exact same name, bought from the same store, made by the same manufacturer... could yield wildly different end results. I simply got tired of having to go through several coil heads to find one that worked well, or find a tank that didn't leak. The best way to get consistent results was to start building my own coils. So, I figured "why not start using something built for the re-building purpose" instead of paying something ready-for-use that wasn't ready for use at all.

Also, I don't like plastic tanks. There was no Protanks or other pyrex clearomizers available 6-8 months ago.

Another hobby of mine is flying RC helicopters. Takes a whole lot of tinkering and dealing with batteries that may fail catastrophically if mistreated. Thus, I have a "thing" about batteries that I want to know what chemistry they are made of and what discharge ratings they can handle. So, there goes the ego style batteries. In comes the mods and loose cells batteries I can pick and choose to my liking.

That's the rational part of it. The rest is just me getting carried away... If I started out now with a pyrex clearo and decent heads, I'm not sure if I'd go down the rebuildable/mod road at all. But, there's no turning back once you've figured out how to make a good vape into a great vape. :oops:

Edit: It takes longer to learn how to set up rebuildables, but in the end, I think I spend less time on maintenance than the average clearo user. Thicker coils on SS mesh don't really get worn out or require a new wick every few days.

Last edited:

bones1274

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2010
florida
@bones1274:

Hm.. the mod is the whole thing? Or just the battery-containing part?

*crying in my German beer* - I thought I was learning....

Mod is used loosely in two ways.

First - mod is the term for the device itself or the body. When you order a mod from a company, you have to add the atomizer/tank and the batteries. Example: You might tell a friend "I ordered a new tank mod from XXXX website and it will be here in two days."

Second - mod is a generic term for the complete device with the atomizer and batteries in it regardless of shape or size (just like dog is generic for any breed of dog). Example: You might see someone using an ecig and ask them what kind of mod that is.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Just to add one point:

A "mech mod" (short for "Mechanical mod") is, like it sounds, just a battery tube with a mechanical switch (and an appropriate adapter to hold whatever head you are using). No wires or electronics.

(and a head is whatever you put on top of it, cartomizer, clearomizer, tank, dripping atty, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread