IMR battery testing.. need some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDnerds

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2012
NJ
I bought these batteries at a local flea market. The person selling them looked like they had no idea what they were selling. These were just mixed up with a bunch of other junk. They were pretty much on the bottom of a box. He had five of them, I paid 5.00 for all five. I really couldnt pass that up.

I have bought plenty of generic IMR's from vendors like madvapes, but these looked very farmilar.

Pics next to a real AW IMR. There are obvious differences, but similarities too. One looks a bit smaller then the other, but they are exactly the same size.

IMAG0165.jpg IMAG0166.jpg IMAG0167.jpg

They last me all day, they feel like IMR batteries when I use them. Is there a way to test these using a volt meter to know if these are real IMR batteries?

Last edited:

cozzicon

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2010
Chicago IL
I bought these batteries at a local flea market. The person selling them looked like they had no idea what they were selling. These were just mixed up with a bunch of other junk. They were pretty much on the bottom of a box. He had five of them, I paid 5.00 for all five. I really couldnt pass that up.

I have bought plenty of generic IMR's from vendors like Madvapes, but these looked very farmilar.

Pics next to a real AW IMR. There are obvious differences, but similarities too. One looks a bit smaller then the other, but they are exactly the same size.

View attachment 125607 View attachment 125608 View attachment 125609

They last me all day, they feel like IMR batteries when I use them. Is there a way to test these using a volt meter to know if these are real IMR batteries?

The characteristic of IMR is safety and high current potential... a volt meter won't help you.

I can tell that they are knockoffs. Same knockoffs that went out with the original Lavatube which Volcano recalled. You can tell by the nipple. Genuine AW IMRs are small nipple with two little vent hols on either side.

Personally, I wouldn't use them. I'm not saying they are unsafe. But not knowing the source of the Cell bothers me especially for buck/boost mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread