Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2014
Tempe, AZ
I only started building my coils about 2 months ago but that was the easy part for me. They looked good no problem, probably used up 50 feet or so messing around with different wire and drill bits. Then I ran out of butane and pulled the coil wrapping thing I bought from amazon to use until the butane arrived. BTW there is only one rod you can use with the kit.

Now I can't wrap a coil that doesn't look like crap and the new butane doesn't work that great so I'm really trying to get closer wraps. I don't know what happened, wicking was the most difficult part for me. Reminds me of my golf game, short game good, driving bad, then the reverse.

Has this happened to anyone else? I've slowed down, but they just don't turn out.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
You really don't need a torch to compress a coil... do it after it's mounted and dry fired.
As to wrapping... I never could get on board with all the fancy crank rod tools - I still use drill bits in a wooden block to wrap coils for myself and a few friends.
Nice tight wrap using a small hemostat to hold the wire firmly - get the legs 'organized' for the rba being used - mount it up - dry fire and compress it with a ceramic tweezer - wick and go.

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Here's my coils in a modified TOBH atty...

TOBHused.jpg

I made these with the Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo. Picked it up at Hobby Lobby for around 12 bux IIRC.

JTECONWIN1-2.jpg

And just like SOF said, I never anneal my wires anymore. Just dry burn and squeeze and they work just fine.

snow blind

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2012
PA
Here's my coils in a modified TOBH atty...

TOBHused.jpg

I made these with the Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo. Picked it up at Hobby Lobby for around 12 bux IIRC.

JTECONWIN1-2.jpg

And just like SOF said, I never anneal my wires anymore. Just dry burn and squeeze and they work just fine.

Im debating on grinding my tabs on the Tobh down too. Though i do like it set to 1 hole on some juice... decisions decisions.

I use the same Wire Coiling Gizmo... works so damn good. I need to get a pack of different rods though. I have the big version that has the gap from tiny to pretty big sized rods.

What gauge... 26?

jaxgator

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Im debating on grinding my tabs on the Tobh down too. Though i do like it set to 1 hole on some juice... decisions decisions.

In my case the tabs were just in the way. I was happy to be rid of them. Of course, this is on a clone. Looking to purchase a v2.5 soon and there is no way I would be grinding its tabs off. Might not purchase it just because of those tabs.

I use the same Wire Coiling Gizmo... works so damn good. I need to get a pack of different rods though. I have the big version that has the gap from tiny to pretty big sized rods.

What gauge... 26?

My gizmo came with 5 rods (4.5mm, 4mm, 3mm, 1.5mm, and 1.0mm). I found a wire coat hanger that is between the 1.5mm and 3mm rods and made my own out of that. Not exactly sure on its exact size but I would say its around 2-2.25 mm.

Yeah, that was with 26g, 9 wraps and IIRC it came to .65Ω.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread