• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

in London Evening Standard:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Disappointing, but not surprising.

I object to the comment about "minimising fire risk" as that's just a non-starter of an excuse.

The annoyance is the blanket ban. In tubes and buses, I can understand. But platforms?

I vape on some over-ground station platforms... at the end and out of people's way. It's certainly not causing any problem to anyone else.

Once, I was asked not to smoke in the grounds of an institution (a school). I had been invited to work there for a week. My reply was pretty uncompromising...

"I'm not spending a week here, helping your kids if I have to walk 15 minutes off site" ..."You are only giving me a hard time about this because you chose to follow me to the corner of a football pitch, (by the perimeter fence) to use your intolerant policy to make the point that you can do what you like"

Not another word was said. I stayed, smoked out of sight and nobody suffered in the slightest. I would have suffered. These days, I just stealth vape.

Sarin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2014
I'm just wondering what law they are going to fine you under as the 2007 smoking legislation does not cover vaping. It does however cover water pipes (shisha, hubblebubble and hookah). I can see it now, "We're fining you for vaping on TfL"! "Really, what law have i broken"? "Well TfL don't allow vaping on it's transport". "But that's not the law is it". "Well, er"! "Yeah, cheers, see ya".

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
When I managed to stop smoking earlier this year, it was not only with amazement, but a rather joyful sense of liberation. No longer was I a pariah, an object of offense, one of the 'excluded'. Or so I thought!

You need to start your own internet channel or something. I'll follow you. Actually, you can call me a groupie, already. :)

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
You need to start your own internet channel or something. I'll follow you. Actually, you can call me a groupie, already. :)
:) Thanks dj!
It took me years to suddenly find (virtually by accident) that there was actually something that could stop me smoking cigarettes.
It wasn't long before I noticed the bans and laws starts to emerge, legislation more widely spoken of (both for and against), and those that had no idea what they were actually talking about began to demonise e-cigs.

For years, the government prodded, warned and pointed fingers at smokers, regaling them with higher taxes, dire warnings and ever more restrictions - yet they stood by and allowed the tobacco industry to add whatever noxious substances they deemed necessary to keep the smoking population hooked.
None of the so-called NRT's worked well, and some were even unpleasant to use with alarming side effects.

So, we find something that does actually work, something undeniably safer than smoking tobacco, and even though the long-term effects are yet to be defined, they have stopped millions of people world wide from smoking tobacco.
What happens? the government and the nay-sayers find that objectionable too!

I do agree that we need some legislation regarding quality & safety of products, e-cigs should never be sold in full view/reach of under 18's, and there are places where they should not be used.

When eminent health professionals feel confident to make a public statement that if everyone stopped smoking in favour of using e-cigs, 5 million lives would be saved, it beggars belief that so many seem hell-bent on destroying whatever aspects of it they can.
Sure there'll be those who would complain about anything and everything if it was something they didn't want themselves, and hadn't taken time to understand, but no-one can be blamed for feeling it goes far higher than that - perhaps it goes to the top floors of the big tobacco and pharmaceutical companies, not to mention IR who may just have noticed a drop in their own revenue from tobacco! Cynical? you bet.

London smells like a fart through hot milk.
They would rather have that stench in the air as opposed to my Danish pastry vape?
Nice one London.nice.
I'm actually quite proud of our capital city and it's amazing history. But I am totally sick of those such as TfL that will dismiss something that I consider really important.
If they asked for discretion, or gave designated areas merely out of a sense of being seen to consider all, it would be far more acceptable.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
This is not just a London attitude, it is just a starting point!
On a recent visit to Twickenham, I heard the best quote yet when I asked the landlady if it was ok to vape in her establishment (the pub)
"It would be mean not to, wouldn't it.
Nuff said.

I would think that pub landladies/landlords, hotel owners, and perhaps some coffee shop owners & restaurateurs are most likely to be better clued up on this issue because they'll have direct contact with customers who do vape.
There's plenty of positive information about the subject, but they'd need to find it or see it, and read it. Chatting with a customer is a great way to understand and gain a proper insight.

Not that they'll all allow it of course ...some will be blinkered against it, others will be afraid that uninformed or biased customers may go elsewhere!

Most of us will have thought the hardest battle was stopping smoking ...no, the hard part is still ahead I fear.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Surely the logical step would be to allow people to make up their own minds about allowing Vaping on their premises?

The smoking ban wiped out some pubs and vaping has definitely allowed some establishments to find their feet again.

I don't think I have any serious objection to trains and planes saying no to vaping, but a straight ban is a lose-lose for everybody. Looking back, the blanket ban on smoking indoors was also a bit harsh. If a pub felt able to allow smoking in certain zones (and the non-smoking workers were not expected to work in the zones) where was the problem? A ban on vaping in the grounds of a hospital? Seriously.... is this just how far it's going to go?

If a government is going to go so overboard on all these things, would it not make sense to start raising the age for buying tobacco? Oh... but they can't can they. They can't afford it.

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
The smoking ban certainly clipped my wings!
I used to go to see the people/businesses I work with, and sometimes stay at an hotel overnight, and really enjoyed those visits, but when things changed it stopped being a pleasure - most hotels became non smoking, and I was even asked to stay with one proprietor. Sadly I didn't know that he smokes a little, so I wouldn't have perhaps been frowned upon.
The thought of not being able to smoke, and feeling like a criminal skulking around corners was just too much and I declined - was able to say that I hate travelling (I quite honestly do).

I sometimes flew to Heathrow when I had meeting or function to attend in the city, and that was fine because smoking was allowed then in the licensed lounge prior to departure. I don't need to be at the same places now, so thankfully it's not a problem, but I did pass up on attending one work related occasion in New York! All that time on a plane with no cigarette was just too much to contemplate!
I always thought long haul should provide a weekly service for smokers! They wouldn't lose out!

If they also prevent it in hospital grounds then I shall resist ever going into a hospital - not at all keen on the places at the best of times!

Feels like I'm coming full circle and reaching the point where I felt totally smothered by all the bans and frowning.
Looks like this hermit is destined to remain so!

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
Surely the logical step would be to allow people to make up their own minds about allowing Vaping on their premises?

The smoking ban wiped out some pubs and vaping has definitely allowed some establishments to find their feet again.
First thing I noticed was the absence of the elderly gentlemen with their pipes, happily sat with a drink and a newspaper or playing cards/dominoes with their pals. Don't know if they ever gravitated back when they got used to the idea, but real pubs and a smoke seem to belong together :)
Future generations will of course think differently.

I'm thinking there's still a place for the cig size battery & cartridges when out and about - they produce less vapour and are small, so will be a lot less noticeable!

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
:) Thanks dj!

For years, the government prodded, warned and pointed fingers at smokers, regaling them with higher taxes, dire warnings and ever more restrictions - yet they stood by and allowed the tobacco industry to add whatever noxious substances they deemed necessary to keep the smoking population hooked.
None of the so-called NRT's worked well, and some were even unpleasant to use with alarming side effects.

So, we find something that does actually work, something undeniably safer than smoking tobacco, and even though the long-term effects are yet to be defined, they have stopped millions of people world wide from smoking tobacco.
What happens? the government and the nay-sayers find that objectionable too!

They did ostracize, demonize and heap scorn on smokers because they knew bloody well they could do - and did - so with impunity.
Cigs got too much of a hook in the overwhelming majority. So it makes for a convenient target to p*** on without having to face any backlash.

At least they thought so.

Till vaping came along and all of a sudden their favourite punching bag / tax payer tunred the table on them.
Having his/her nic not with impunity ( healthwise ) but way way closer to it than they ever thought possible.
Their worst fears became reaility : Smokers jumping ship by the thousands - and having a good time while doing that. :)

And the hypocrites are looking like the emperor in his new clothes... Gotcha ! :)

Schoolyard bullies not having anyone to bully are pretty pathetic figures...

Just imagine, all smokers would stay off the fags fro three days in a row --- government and BT would come crawling on their knees and beg them to light up....

Oh, the health and the chuldreen....Oh, ....... that, we need your money...

Weeell, my esteemed brethren and brethrenettes - vape on :D

Last edited:

Pictor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 27, 2009
UK
The place that I drink in at weekends started with 2 vapers,

I was the third, this Saturday there were 11 of us, 3 of them my personal converts

The artist asked if it was a vapers convention
Long time since I was in a pub - one of our sons says he sees people using them in pubs though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread