In Search of the Most Efficient Coil Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonRaver

Aug 4, 2015
I been vaping for over a year now, off the tobacco for roughly three months. Started out with the run of the mill Aspire, upgraded to a nautilus mini a few months back. About a month ago, got my hands on a cheap off brand Chinese Terminator APV and am now enjoying the freedom of being able to make my own coils.

Atm I'm using a dual uprights using A1 24awg Kanthal testing in at .18ohms. Not sure if the build is dangerous. I think the battery (Sony VTC4) can handle it. Any suggestions?

So, I plan to check out what this forum has to offer about some future builds I plan to use. Looking to make the most efficient in terms of power consumption, vapor production, surface area and flavor.

Attachments

• 20150803_172731651[1].jpg
    20150803_172731651[1].jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 26

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I would personally not go that low on any single battery mod. The VTC4 is a great 20A battery that can handle 30A but gets really hot really fast in the 10A-20A range. With that build you are running 23A which is a little high for my comfort level, but it is technically within "safe" limits. I am more concerned that you are running builds like that without KNOWING if its safe or not first. I highly recommend some studying on battery safety and Ohms Law. @Baditude has some great info in his blogs on these 2 subjects. Also take a look at the bench tests performed by @Mooch which can be found on his blog!

(18) Baditude's Blogs | E-Cigarette Forum

Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum

dbrandt01

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2014
Alabama
Why build that low if you've only been building a month? What is the mod? You said the name, but even google isn't bringing it up. Regulated or mech mod? You should read up on battery safety and ohms law instead of guessing if it's safe or not. Assuming you're on a mech, that's roughly 23 amps. While the VTC4 is a 30amp continuous discharge, you still shouldn't push a battery that hard without knowing about the safety behind it.

I'd move up to 28g until you learn about it the safety and all with what you're doing it.

MoonRaver

Aug 4, 2015
http://www . alibaba . com /product-detail /No-burning-smell-e-cigarette-battery_60264287713 . html?spm=a2700 . 7724857 . 35 . 1 . udNjSu

That is the link to the unit I'm using at the moment.

As for the reason for going so low, I had a hard time not smoking while using the aspires w/ 24mg nic straight menthol flavor. The current setup I have seems to cure the itch. Though I did find myself dropping to 18mg nic.

I'm going to look over those documents you guys listed so I can understand your reasoning.

Thanks for the info guys.

MoonRaver

Aug 4, 2015
Because you're new I guess the link won't show up, but I found it for the people who want to see.
No Burning Smell E Cigarette Battery For Ecig Terminator Tank Rebuildable Atomizer Ecig Mods - Buy Ecig Mods,Battery For Ecig,Terminator Tank Rebuildable Atomizer Product on Alibaba.com

How much did you smoke? at 0.5 ohms on an Atlantis at 24w and 18mg was enough to get my dad to stop 2 packs a day.

About 20 cigs a day plus my homegrown Havanna which is very potent after work.

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
plume veil.jpg

This is about a .25ish ohm build with 24G N80 wire. 3mm ID, 6 wraps each. Much safer (about 17A), and it chucks pretty good clouds. Even in that plume veil. Do your research. Nichrome 80 is a lower resistance wire than Kanthal. It heats up faster and saves some battery power, but it will throw your resistance down super low if you don't put enough metal in your build. Check out Steam Engine to get an idea of how many wraps and what diameter you need, but I wouldn't go any lower than .25 ohms EVER on a mech. Too many things can go wrong.
I would suggest 10 wraps @ 3mm ID. About .35ohms and about 12A. But that's as low as I would be comfortable on a mech for a beginner. :2c:

Reactions: dcfluegel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread