About To Build My First Coil - Infinite Magma on IPV2s 60 Watt Box Mod - Any Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0mp0st

Oct 9, 2014
Colorado
I was initially going to build at .8 Ohms, but I've been reading that many people like to use non sub-ohm builds for this rda/mod combination.
I have 24 and 28 Gauge Kanthal to work with, and I bought plenty of extra for mistakes.
I was planning to use 28 Gauge for my first build.
According to Steam engine, two coils at 9 wraps each around a 2.36mm 3/32" drill bit will give me .8 Ohms.
Should I start with a higher resistance coil?
Should I use a 5/64" drill bit instead?
Should I start with a single coil?
I will be wicking with cotton, and vaping suicide bunny mother's milk, if that makes any difference.
I think that it's just going to take doing it to get the surface area to airflow to heat it up time right.
I figure that if this thing works to the best of its potential, it has the best chance of keeping me off the tobacco.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Peace!

TheWhiteChronic

Oct 2, 2014
Hey man. I also have an IPV. I've had in depth conversations with guys at my local vape shop about building on regulated mods.

They taught me that on a regulated device, there is no reason to subohm. The voltage that the ipv will put out will be pitiful. Building higher resistance coils on a regulated mod forces the device to put out higher voltage to reach the set wattage.

When I first got mine I built a .6 ohm coil. The device gave a reading of 3.7 volts at 25 watts. My next build was a 1.2 ohm. It was reading around 5.6 volts at 25 watts and provided a MUCH better vape. Honestly I would recommend a 1.5 ohm setup or somewhere in that ball park.

Hope this helps.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I wouldn't try 1.5 ohm with dual coils. I don't think you will be able to fit that on the deck.

Your original plan with 9 wraps sounds good. You can crank up the power on your regulated box. 3/32 and 5/64 are almost the same. Maybe 3/32 will be slightly easier to wick.

ETA: just remember to put your coils directly above the air holes on the deck.

Last edited:

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
I'm running a 1.3 ohm dual coil setup on my igo w which is a very small atty. it fits with room to spare.

The juice well on a magma is a reduced area in the center of the deck. And with 28 gauge, 1.5 ohm is going to be 2 coils with something like 17 or 18 wraps. Its too big, and not going to work right.

DaveSignal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2014
Maryland
Well, it will fit, but the coil will extend way past the air holes on both sides. I have never seen anyone build a coil with this many wraps... unless it was a nano coil around something like 1/32. If OP wants to try it, then he should go ahead. I think the original plan would also work great, if not better, though.

c0mp0st

Oct 9, 2014
Colorado
Well, it will fit, but the coil will extend way past the air holes on both sides. I have never seen anyone build a coil with this many wraps... unless it was a nano coil around something like 1/32. If OP wants to try it, then he should go ahead. I think the original plan would also work great, if not better, though.

I've been using the 9 wrap 3/32" dual coil setup for about almost a week now, and I'm loving it.
It reads .83 Ohms on my meter.
Plenty of experimenting in the future, but this seems to be a great start.
Thanks for the advice!
I'm thinking that I'll do the same thing with 11 wraps next time, just for the sake of trying something new.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Everyone has their sweet spot. I am still trying to get one of these 1-2 ohm coils to fire correctly on my box mod ( sigelei 100w). But I can get a .4 ohm coil to hit freaking awesome all day long at about 35-40 watts. I can't wait to get another dripper. Then I can mess around with some builds and leave my fave coil build intact.

For me dual coils with 26 gauge Kanthal, on a 5/64 drill bit, 6 wraps has been awesome. I fully concede that my inability to get the other coils working is due to my lack of skill. That and the igo w3 is a pretty tight deck to build on.

c0mp0st

Oct 9, 2014
Colorado
+1 on not going the sub-ohm route with your IPV2. There's no need, you'll get a much better vape if you build at 1.2-1.5 ohms.

According to Steam Engine, a 1.2 Ohm dual coil using 28 Kanthal will be 14 wraps around a 3/32" drill bit, and a single coil will be 7 wraps. Should I go up to a 1/8" drill bit with 11 wraps for a 1.2 Ohm dual coil?

c0mp0st

Oct 9, 2014
Colorado
I think that I'm starting to get this figured out. I built a 1.2 Ohm dual coil last night (14 wraps of 28G around a 3/32"bit), and it's working great. I've been running the mod between 20 and 30 Watts (4.9-6.0 Volts) with this build, and it's working great. I had to bump up the wattage to get the coil to heat up fast enough. There definitely seems to be a sweet spot around 25 Watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread