Innokin iTaste SVD and Vamo v2 comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
As both of these are likely two of the most popular economical APVs ($40-$50) on the market right now, I thought I may be doing some a favor by comparing both. Yes I am a proud owner of both and use them exclusively.

Bit of background on myself. This is my second time quitting analogs and plan to stick with it this time. The first go around was around 2-3 years ago and I was using KR808 style cig-like e-cigs from Vapor4Life, but I went back to analogs after 3 months or so after being laid off. Fast forward to more recently, and just over the last 3-4 months I purchased a Vamo V2 and have been analog free since (no cheating).

My first APV was obviously the Vamo (in Stainless Steel) and due to the fact that I wanted to ensure my non-smoking success I purchased a back-up device in case something happened to my Vamo...the Innokin iTaste SVD. Until my SVD arrived I had used my Vamo for about 1 1/2-2 months. For the reminder of my time as a non-smoker I have used the SVD almost exclusively. Needless to say I have had about the same time with each as far as usage goes.

Look and Build Quality:
Vamo Pros:
-Looks great in stainless steel and have no problems with scratches or fingerprints. It is a good looking device.
-Works great in either 18350 (or 2 stacked) or 18650 mode although I use 90% of the time in 18650 mode for all day vaping.
-Good build quality of the tube and feels good in the hand
-Seamless looking design

Vamo - Cons:
-Fire button sticks often. Not to the point that it is still firing but it still sticks. A bit concerning regarding long-term reliability.
-Mounting system for tank - I have used a Kanger protank, a Valley View Vapes (VVV), and a Vivi Nova copy - all 3 tanks do not screw in completely vertical but instead all 3 lean a bit. Not great quality control concerning the threading on the Vamo.
-Resistance often doesn't read well - you have to be careful not to thread the tanks on too tightly as you can push out the o-ring underneath the tank firing pin. Not tightening down far enough though can cause resistance to not read correctly. I sometimes have to back the tank off and then try screwing it on again (again being careful not to overtighten) before it reads resistance correctly.
If you switch between 18350 and 18650 mode you have to keep track of the extension tube as it's a separate piece.
-Concerns of striping out the threads at the mount - I haven't had a problem with this yet but many others have - questionable long term reliability
-Smooth - a bit slippery in the hands
-In 18350 mode it is not that comfortable to fire as the fire button is relatively low and using my thumb to fire, half of my hand is hanging off of the bottom of the Vamo.
-With some power settings you get the rattlesnake sound - not bad but interestingly enough I don't get that with the SVD even though they supposedly use similar chips inside.

Innokin SVD - Pros:
-High quality construction.
-Not a fingerprint magnet
-Like the Vamo you can switch between 18350 (or 2 stacked) and 18650
-Has a nice removable "beauty ring" so it integrates nicely with your tanks or juice delivery devices.
-Can easily switch between different battery modes as no separate extension tube is necessary - very flexible and all in one. No worries about losing the extension tube like with the Vamo. The extension just screws in an out to accept the various sized batteries - be patient it takes a while due to fine threading.
-The tube has just a bit of texture on it so it isn't slippery in the hand.
-The extension tube part of the SVD has groves in it making it very solid to hold.
-Seemingly very solid buttons - no sticking, they just work well time and time again.
-Spring loaded firing pin - should last and no concern about pushing an o-ring out like with the Vamo
-Quick and easy tank mounting system - screw the tank on all the way until it stops - no worry, no fuss and no concerns of over-tightening or under-tightening.
-Very industrial looking (could be a con)
-In the 18350 mode it is MUCH more comfortable than the Vamo as I use my thumb to fire. With the SVD the fire button is higher up on the device and I can hold much more of the tube in my hand than with the Vamo. Add to the fact that the SVD has more texture and the grooved extension tube and it just feels better and less likely to slip out of my hand.

SVD - Cons:
-A bit long, in fact longer than the Vamo by 1/4 to 1/2 inch - light saber Darth?
-I'll call this dual stage closing (patent pending by me :) ) - when you put a battery in and close the cap, the extension tube can rattle a bit. Then you need to tighten the extension tube so takes just a second or two more effort but all is solid and rattle free after you tighten both (cap and extension tube) down correctly.
-Grooves in extension tube are a bit sharp on the edges and can gather dirt/dust

Interface - compared together.
Both the Vamo and the SVD offer very similar features - VV, VW, Volts remaining in battery, resistance checker, both with screen readouts, Volts, Watts, etc. The screen is more integrated into the tube with the Vamo while the SVD screen covering is a bit raised on the outside of the tube - I really don't prefer one over the other. Note - my Vamo came with a black spec on the inside of the screen - no biggie though.

I like the way the Vamo displays things is a bit better as it has ohms symbol and volts is represented by a little v and watts by a small w - more intuitive. On the other hand the SVD display is more "digital" in the way it represents things...R is for resistance but is a digital clock style so less intuitive. Watts is represented by a P for power and volts depending on if you are looking at the setting versus battery power remaining will be represented by "Vo" or just "V." Not a big deal I just prefer symbols as it is more of a no-brainer.

The SVD does have some distinct advantages over the Vamo though. The screen is much brighter with substantially larger characters and is easier to read, especially in bright sunlight. SVD is easier and more reliably turns off and on. 3 fire button clicks to turn off and on. With the Vamo it takes 5-6 and if you don't do it quick enough between clicks, you have to start over. The SVD fire button is translucent and will glow 3 different colors indicating battery strength. It does this when you turn it on and also after firing (for half a second or so) so you always know the approximate battery strength (over 3.7v and it's green, yellow below to 3.5(?) and red when your batt gets real low. You still can more accurately check your battery on-screen though but it is nice to get a quick look to see if you battery is below 3.8volts or lower. Lastly and this can be a biggie for some - the SVD allows you to LOCK the watts or volts that you are at so an accidental button press won't change your power. If you carry in your pocket, you have the additional reassurance you aren't changing your power by accidently pressing the up or down button.

Back to the Vamo, the button placement is great for just picking up without looking and vaping as there are only a total of 3 things raised on the surface with the biggest being the firing button. With the SVD it is much more difficult to pick it and press the fire button right off the bat and I often have to feel around a bit to make sure I found the firing button rather than the screen (raised) or one of the other buttons (- or +).

Summary:

With those of you on the fence or thinking about picking up one of these, I have to give my recommendation to the Innokin SVD without reservation. I think overall it is a better and more well thought out device. I do love the Vamo as well, I just think that the long-term reliability will be lacking and it's a bit more finicky.

The biggest differentiators to me and why I like the SVD better are:
*The superior mounting system (for tanks, cartos, etc.) - screw your tank on all the way without worry of not too tight, not too loose
*Buttons and quality are more robust
*More texture and less slippery
*Better looking (beauty ring) and more seamless integration with tanks - subjective
*Overall quality
*Impression that this will hold up much better over the long haul - reliability is very important to me
*Just feels better in the hand

Ultimately the decision is yours, I just wanted to bring to light how I compare the two. Either are great devices, very low cost and great value, and do their jobs amazing well.

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
Excellent review! Actually helped me a bit. I purchased the SVD and had a quesiton regarding stacking 18350 batteries or using them singly for a more stealthy vape (The SVD is a bit large compared to my Twists and Spinners)

Forgot to mention in my review that I believe the SVD will also hold a 18500 battery so still more stealthy than a 18650 but longer battery life than a single 18350.

Did you receive your SVD yet? If your used to only Twists and Spinners, you'll love the SVD as I do mine.

dmanindfw

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
DFW, TX
What's even more strange is the fact that my MVP lasts about ten times longer than the SVD on one 18650 charge.

Wow, that's impressive.

With an AW18650 2600 mAh protected Li-Ion battery I get a full day's worth of vaping and even then my battery is still at about 3.7v. This is vaping at about 9 watts and going through probably 4ml worth of juice.

This brings up a good point, with both the Vamo and the SVD, it is recommended to only use IMR (high discharge) batteries but as I had some protected ICR cells that I used with a flashlight I have been using these (non-recommended) cells with great results...again these are 18650's and can handle the discharge rates I am throwing at them just fine. I would not do this if they were 18350 ICR's though.

With my protected AW IMR 18650s (2000 mAH), I typically will switch out my battery towards the end of the day. I'm a bit conservative when it comes to batteries though and rarely will discharge them below 3.7v to help preserve them in the long run.

BTW, I run a Pila charger and it terminates charging reliably and with all cells at 4.11-4.12 volts. Most chargers will terminate (hopefully) at around 4.2 volts so it's possible many will see even longer run times than I do.

v1k1ng1001

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 17, 2012
Edinburg, TX
I own both and would agree with the OP on pretty much everything. A few other things:

1. Almost all of my delivery systems, especially my protanks and protank 2s fire much much better on the SVD. Juices and tanks that are problematic on my Vamo just work on the SVD.

2. Button placement on the Vamo is far more sensible than the SVD.

3. I cope with the energy consumption of the SVD by using higher capacity batteries.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
Definitely - that's what I have - 18650's and 18500's.
The 18500 is, for me, "short" enough - but long enough lasting not to be annoying...
Actually though, since I really only use it at home, I don't care if it's long or not - I just keep rotating batteries....
I picked the SVD of these two for my first mod. Might get a VAMO one day for variety's sake, but so far, I'm just plain happy with it!

Forgot to mention in my review that I believe the SVD will also hold a 18500 battery so still more stealthy than a 18650 but longer battery life than a single 18350.

Did you receive your SVD yet? If your used to only Twists and Spinners, you'll love the SVD as I do mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread