Innokin Proton shows wrong coil resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lmsnr

Sep 26, 2018
Hello,

I bought a new Proton Plex kit about 3 weeks ago and I went through 3 coils and then realized the resistance shown on the display is higher than the coil's resistance.
It shows 0.15 with the triple mesh coil. You can have a look here .

I just got my Wotofo profile which should read 0.18 and it reads 0.20.
On my Falcon tank it should read 0.15 and it reads 0.18.

Is there a way I can fix this? any help would be greatly appreciated. Not sure if this is the reason it's burning my coils and causing dry hits.

Reactions: stols001
Hello @Imsnr,

Thanks for reaching out to Innokin and made this video for us to have a clearer look at the potential issue on your device! Please don't worry about the number the mod reads and shows, it's completely normal to have slight error for the number and it won't be affecting both your mod, atomizer and coil in it.

If your device is giving any other issues, please do not hesitate to let me know and you are always welcome to PM me if you want.

Thank you!

Bohan

lmsnr

Sep 26, 2018
Hello @Imsnr,

Thanks for reaching out to Innokin and made this video for us to have a clearer look at the potential issue on your device! Please don't worry about the number the mod reads and shows, it's completely normal to have slight error for the number and it won't be affecting both your mod, atomizer and coil in it.

If your device is giving any other issues, please do not hesitate to let me know and you are always welcome to PM me if you want.

Thank you!

Bohan
Thank you for the reply!
I am glad to hearthat. I do have one more question. Is it normal that the tank gets extremely hot? It even makes the top half of my mod hot. I switched to an rda today and I get no heat at all. I also was getting dryhits with the plex not sure what was going on. I let the new coils saturate for 10 minutes then I vape at the minimum wattage. But it still gets dry while taking 2-3 second hits and tastes aweful. For the moment I will keep using the Wotofo profile on it. I will be testing the Falcon tank soon on it to see if I have the same results

Thank you for the reply!
I am glad to hearthat. I do have one more question. Is it normal that the tank gets extremely hot? It even makes the top half of my mod hot. I switched to an rda today and I get no heat at all. I also was getting dryhits with the plex not sure what was going on. I let the new coils saturate for 10 minutes then I vape at the minimum wattage. But it still gets dry while taking 2-3 second hits and tastes aweful. For the moment I will keep using the Wotofo profile on it. I will be testing the Falcon tank soon on it to see if I have the same results
That doesn't sound right. May I know what wattage you were using and what are the PG/VG of the ejuice? Also, when there are too much sweetener in the ejuice could accelerate the coil burnt.

• Agree

lmsnr

Sep 26, 2018
That doesn't sound right. May I know what wattage you were using and what are the PG/VG of the ejuice? Also, when there are too much sweetener in the ejuice could accelerate the coil burnt.
I have been using it at 81Watts since the first coil burnt. I am using a 30pg/70vg juice in it. It is a "desert" flavor. I tried a fruit flavor by the same company (Yami Vapor) and that was worse in the tank.

lmsnr

Sep 26, 2018
Fruit flavors are more sensitive to high heat. They provide their best flavor at low wattage settings.
I can say I am pretty new to Vaping again. Got back into it after a long time. What is considered low wattage now?
I basically use the minimum recommended wattage on the coils. so in this case the minimum is 80 with the Scion triple mesh coils and I use 81. WIth the profile the mesh coil is 45-65 and I am at 50W with this ejuice.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
bush_doing_it_wrong_1.jpg

You're using the wrong atomizers (tanks, RDA's, etc) for lower wattage vaping.

I consider myself a mid-range wattage vaper. I use 0.5 ohm coils at 30 watts with an Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank.

Some vapers consider that high wattage. A lot of folks use 1.8 ohm coils at 12 watts.

You should consider getting some tanks that use coils that do not require such high wattages. Higher ohm coils require less wattage and produce a cooler vape.

How many watts do you vape at? (2018) poll

upload_2018-4-18_15-12-32-jpeg.736925

Original Uwell Crown Clearomizer Tank (MTL or DTL, top fill, standard and subohm coils) 22 mm, 4 ml (mini version 22mm, 2 ml)

• 1.2 ohm Single Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Coil - 10 to 30W
    • 0.5 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 30 to 80W
    • 0.25 ohm Dual Stainless Steel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 80 to 120W
    • 0.15 ohm Dual Ni200 Nickel Uwell Crown Sub-Ohm Coil - 400 to 600 Degrees Fahrenheit (temp control)

upload_2018-4-18_14-54-59-jpeg.736915
Innokin Zenith clearomizer (MTL, top fill) 22 and 25 mm versions, 3ml and 4 ml

0.8ohm Coil : Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 15-18W
1.6ohm Coil : Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 10 -14W
Plexus Z 0.5ohm Coil : Manufacturer's Recommended Wattage Range: 14-19W
upload_2018-4-18_15-5-5-jpeg.736921
Aspire Nautilus 2 (MTL, top fill) 22 mm, 2 ml

• Includes (1) New BVC Kanthal 0.7ohm Atomizer Head (Recommended 18 - 23 Watts) (Pre-installed)
    • Includes (1) Original BVC Kanthal 1.8ohm Atomizer Head (Recommended 10 - 14 Watts)
images
Joytech Ego One Mega V2 (MTL, top fill) 22 mm, 4 ml

• 1.0 ohm CL coils

Last edited:

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The resistance meters in mods are not going to be perfectly accurate, especially to 100ths of an ohm.
Factory made coils are not produced with perfect quality control, there will be variances.
Does this matter? No, the regulator chip will adjust accordingly.
Recommended wattages on coils are guidelines, use your own senses and discretion to make this decision.
With any set-up there will be many variables. Start at a low power and increase it slowly until it makes you vape happy.
If it's too hot, then chances are it is. Turn down the wattage.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I vape coils under recommended wattage all the time. Prime your coil at 0 watts, long slow primer puffs, then gradually increase 3 to 5 watts at a time, until you reach "happy place" wherever that is, and it sounds like it may be below the lowest recommended setting, honestly.

If you do like a cooler eliquid and./or the idea of less clouds, you've gotten good suggestions on alternate tanks . For me a 0.15 resistance and the wattage needed would be rather unbearable, but I do things like vape at an all powerful 11 watts and at resistances from like 0.8 to 1.8. You may need to experiment a bit, also keeping in mind that some mods boards just convert power more efficiently, so 81 watts on one mod may be quite different than 81 watts on a different board. To me the proton converts power pretty efficiently so turning it down is just not a bad strategy all round.. You could also try some higher ohm coils if they are available and see if your juice does better with them.

And yes, some juices just don't vape so fantastic at higher wattages, so the good news is you have tons of experiments ahead which is how you get to the happy land of "vape nirvana" (which is different for every vaper) but where you also make less purchasing errors as you build your collection of vapes and juices, while knowing your "wheelhouse" so to speak.

Good luck and welcome.
Anna

Reactions: sdennislee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread