(Insert witty banter here from new member)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarja

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2014
Paicines, CA
Greetings.

A bit about myself. I'm in my 40s, I started smoking when I was around 20 or so. Over the years, I've tried quitting multiple times (failing miserably). My husband would joke that buying me a pack of smokes would be less costly than the hotel room he'd have toget if I tried quitting one more time.

A few things you realise over the years: everything you own smells of smoke, your car smells of smoke, your family smells of smoke....hell, your dogs smell of smoke. That white paint on the walls, yeah, it's now a nice shade of yellow/tan. Breathing? Sucks (oh, forgot to mention, I'm also asthmatic. FUN).

In December, I learned I was having surgery in January. However, all of the prep tests (particularly, oxygen levels, breathing tests, etc) failed miserably. This meant, no surgery.

Now, just how in hell am I supposed to quit, after I've failed so many times over the years?

I made my first purchase of an e-cig (V2 I think) at that time, and was surprisingly able to last a week. I wasn't too thrilled with the taste and flavours, but it gave me what I needed to continue. At that point, I realised that it wasn't just the nicotine which made quitting difficult, it was EVERYTHING. A nicotine addiction, a TACTILE addiction, a TIMING addiction, and a TASTE addiction. Post eating? Cigarette. Stressed at work? Cigarette. Long drive home? SEVERAL smokes.

I kept with the V2 for a week or two, and then came across the Tornado Ego-C 1000mh, and I snatched that up. Before I got it, I thought...the hell, that isn't natural looking, it's too big, too bulky, it'll never work. I had figured out that I definitely preferred the fruity blends, so...whatever.

4 months (and one surgery) later, I'm shocked. The house doesn't smell, my clothes don't smell...and my dogs don't smell (at least of smoke). I'm spending pennies on the dollar of what I was spending, and my juice levels have gone from 2.4 to .6 . I'm breathing better, I've taken up running, and...well, my husband is just thrilled that he's actually seeing me in a light he's never seen me before: as a 2 pack a day smoker.

I'm also very, very high verbal.

Pleased to meet everyone:)

Buggainok

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2014
oklahoma city ok usa
Hi Tarja, and welcome to the forum! I just love stories like yours!:) Thanks for sharing it.

Like you, I quickly figured out that it wasn't just the nicotine that was so compelling about smoking. If it was just the nicotine, then the patches and gum would have much better success rates. In my opinion, smoking is a complex, multi-phased activity, and vaping pushes all the right buttons so that I no longer have a need to light up a cigarette.

Glad to have you with us, and big congratulations on your success!:toast:

Chimney34

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2012
Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Congrats to you & welcome to ECF!
As time goes on it only gets better!
I think my pets are even happy I quit too! You're so right. After my sense of smell started to come back the dog was sitting in my lap & poor thing smelled just like cigarettes so I got up & grabbed the cat...she did too! Poor things! I didn't even realize it. Figured since they put up with me & loved me as a smoker the least I could do was treat them both to a spa day so they could smell as good as I did:)

Glad to see your surgery went well!
Keep it up! Happy Vaping:toast:

jmur

Aggie AND Moon's Acct., on retainer for Beckyblue
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2013
Connecticut
Yes, congratulations Tarja! It's been one year for me, after 45 years of smoking. A LOT of smoking. Everything is so much better. You're already realizing that, and that's good. No, great. Everything I've learned towards getting me off of this horrible addiction has been from ECF. You've found the right place. (And my Golden Retriever thanks me everyday for not smelling like smoke anymore)!

Welcome!

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Welcome and, "don't go searching for regulated, or mechanicals of any kind, say no to rba's, and sub ohm vaping, and high watt vaporize. Stay right there, no upgrading, be happy where you are. I'm just saying, there's more to vaping, then simply ego's and changeables. "

Yes, after finding this site, found what's possible is incredible. Stick around to long and you'll end up collecting. lol

Vape long and Prosper!!!

Ms.P

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 29, 2014
Mid-Missouri, USA
This forum is a one of a kind! I don't care what anyone says, ECF is the best and biggest because of the fine folks who frequent it on a regular or daily basis.

^^ Yup, what Fishee sez. :) This is the biggest, nicest, warmest, most welcoming group of people! Even if I still don't understand more than half of what some of them get up to. Crazy monstrosities of vaping gear. Wild collections. It's nuts and fun!

Many of the vendors run contests. It's actually a really great way to "meet" people. My favorite bunch is GotVapes. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/gotvapes/551924-play-win-all-new-weekly-gotvapes-ultimate-contest-prize-giveaway-chit-chat-hangout-thread-come-hangout-have-fun-177.html There are tons of others, but I really like these folks.

P.S. Fishee! 1,000 posts! Woo hoo! lol

Fisheeboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2013
Colorado, USA
This forum is a one of a kind! I don't care what anyone says, ECF is the best and biggest because of the fine folks who frequent it on a regular or daily basis.

P.S. Fishee! 1,000 posts! Woo hoo! lol

YAY!!! I was very happy that that was my 1,000th post. I don't think I could have made a better or truer one for my #1,000:D
Thank you for noticing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread