Inspired By Many.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2011
NC
Well, this was my second mod after the fugly project box I made last week, but that was more to find out if I could do this, and how to do this, and so yesterday I built this.....

Thanks go to Mamu, for finding the 18650 box and posting an easy schematic, and Quigsworth, before seeing his Imod I hadn't thought of flipping the 18650 box and using smaller batteries, and everyone else for suggesting the LM2596 module on a pre-built board. I love the Ego Dual Coil Cartos, but they are big and long so thought I'd hide a portion of them inside the casing and I'm happy with how it turned out.

I was going to add in a Voltage Meter but decided to keep it cleaner and leave it out this time, and I can taste/feel what's working without seeing it as a number :)

Haven't thought of a name yet, guess it kind of looks like a scanner or old radio with a stubby aerial so I am happy to take suggestions..... If you are considering getting in to modding and are in any way patient (which I feel is the most important skill) give it a go, if I can do it so can you.

IMG_20120127_125649.jpg IMG_20120127_125700.jpg IMG_20120127_125716.jpg IMG_20120127_125731.jpg

That's a Megaladon the shot just for size comparison.

Thanks again all for your help on my first build, you had a great deal to do with this one :)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Now that's a wicked nice clean mod...and if that's #2, you're setting one hell of a precedent LFC, be careful:p

...and btw, DOH!:facepalm:, that's the 2nd time it was thought (1st was asdaq if I can remember) that I simply flipped the box, oh no, that would be too easy (and too smart)...I just grabbed the dremel and cut the barrier out and fabbed a new one...so I would just like to give a post build thanks to LFC for showing me how to shave an hour off the build if I use this box again:D

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
What if liquid leaks inside? I don't see any protection of the electrical part. Or you use non-standard atomizers?

In defence of LFC's design...almost all my mods have recessed devices as well, hell, my imod has a 5ml tank right up against the reg/meter...my rational is, I like mods as compact with as few "breaky offy parts" as possible...If I get a major blow out, strip it down for parts that still work and build another one, meh...but as good as those Smok Tech megas are, you do tend to get a little carried away with the juice and they'll piddle a bit out of the bottom.

LFC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2011
NC
Thanks for the comments guys, I love how everything is 'Open Source' on these boards and we can all share ideas.... Flipping the box worked for me because I used 16340's, 18350's would have required taking the barrier out and modifying.

With regards to leakage protection, I rarely overfill the Mega-Dual Coil Cartos but if I do the 'wired' connector is a sealed V2 shorty, with another regular V2 shorty on top and then a EGO to 510 connector in the carto so juice has a couple of layers to get through before it would reach any electronics.

It's still trucking along like a champ today, just put the batts on to charge now after a full day and a morning, better life than I was expecting :)

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
Flipping the box worked for me because I used 16340's, 18350's would have required taking the barrier out and modifying.

Whew...ya, that's why I re-built the barrier, I wanted to use 18350's..., ya, that's it, I'm gonna stick with that, lol

I was going to say, that's a lot of connector hardware, you could have sunk that Mega all the way...I found, because they give you this huge rubber tip with each carto, if you cut off the part of the tip that slides inside the tube, slide that onto a piece of regular carto tube then stick it into the mega you can use a normal drip tip

Last edited:

asdaq

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
poland, and the brassy lands of google
Hurrah for the flipping! My dream has come true, lol. The only downside is you open up the electronic side to get to the batts, the OG version that part never has to be exposed... Not sure how this board would be with stacked unprotected cells, but I've a feeling AW IMR 18350's would fit.

Quigsworth

Just some guy...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2011
The Republic of Cascadia
That was my original plan asdaq (stack the 350's) which is another reason why I just removed the barrier but with a nod to Slimest, I didn't want to put the electronics directly below my tank...I mean, that's just courting disaster

Making a new Lexan (or even plexyglass) barrier and epoxying it in is really no big deal, plus my batts are the first thing exposed when I slide the back up so that worked out to...

Last edited:

LFC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2011
NC
I thought about dropping the carto all the way in but with the switch positioned on the top if I fired it with my thumb I couldn't get my lips comfortably on the tip (ooo err that sounded wrong). So I added another V2 shorty for clearance.. That's a good idea for the tips though, didn't think of that, the one on it is a hard tip from Madvapes - Black Anodized Drip Tip for the EGO Dual Coil - which I really like and they have a silver one too that stops me mixing up my cartos.. silver is Apple Ice and Black is Mango Ice :) They are nice and cool and provide an excellent draw on the mega.

Tarnacc

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2011
south texas
This is fantastic, I love it! What is that box and where did you get it please?

edit...
This is the box I have been dreaming about! lol Been digging around the forums and I see it called a denali box. I saw quigsworts IMOD, very cool indeed. Where do I get this wonderfly modable enclosure? Pease tell me. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread