Intellicharge i2 not charging Sony IMR 18650

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my wonderful wife was kind enough to gift me with a Mech starter set for Valentine's day. It came with a nemesis, 1 sony IMR 18650, Igo-w, drip tip, and nightgear intellicharger i2.

It seems to me that the intellicharger i2 isn't actually charging my 18650's. The charge indicator will go from 1 led to 3 led's in about 20 mins before it reads that the battery is fully charged. When I take it off of the charger and into my mod, it lasts me 20 mins at most before the vape significantly reduces. I've left the battery on for over 8 hours and still have this problem. I took the battery back to my local vape shop and had it replaced and am still coming across the same problem. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a faulty charger? Or do these batteries just not charge on this charger?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm very frustrated with this.

Paul.K

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
California
I'd say it could be the charger. I have seen warnings about charging high amp batteries on the intellicharger but can not confirm it. Here is what vaperev says.

Sony Li-ion 18650 2100 mAh battery (US18650VTC4)

Note: For safety reasons, we recommend customers do not charge this battery in Nitecore Intellichargers. We highly suggest users only use Xtar brand chargers that are compatilbe for this type of battery as Xtar's can handle the charging load. Please reference your chargers manual to ensure compatability.

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
I'd say it could be the charger. I have seen warnings about charging high amp batteries on the intellicharger but can not confirm it. Here is what vaperev says.

Sony Li-ion 18650 2100 mAh battery (US18650VTC4)

Note: For safety reasons, we recommend customers do not charge this battery in Nitecore Intellichargers. We highly suggest users only use Xtar brand chargers that are compatilbe for this type of battery as Xtar's can handle the charging load. Please reference your chargers manual to ensure compatability.

I'm using the Nitecore Intelllicharger i4 with this battery and no problems with it charging nor operation of the battery in my APV. Perhaps it is just a bad battery or is it a MOD then you can see pretty fast battery drains unlike the regulated APV.

Last edited:
I'm using the Nitecore Intelllicharger i4 with this battery and no problems with it charging nor operation of the battery in my APV. Perhaps it is just a bad battery or is it a MOD then you can see pretty fast battery drains unlike the regulated APV.

Perhaps the it's only the i2 that has this problem...

joecil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2014
Russell Springs, Kentucky
Perhaps the it's only the i2 that has this problem...

Perhaps but then I don't even play a battery expert. I might add it also charged my Efest IMR 18650 2500mah 35A batteries with no problem. They both take a few hours to charge but never timed it. They also both give me about 14-18 hours vaping time the way I vape.

xtwosm0kesx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2010
Face down in the gutter, USA
Do you have access to a multimeter to check and see exactly what voltage the batteries are being charged to?

Its entirely possible you have a bad cell which would mean its probably not fully charging up to ~4.2 as it should (had a bad efest that does something similar to what you describe).

Do you have access to a multimeter to check and see exactly what voltage the batteries are being charged to?

Its entirely possible you have a bad cell which would mean its probably not fully charging up to ~4.2 as it should (had a bad efest that does something similar to what you describe).

I ordered a multimeter but am still waiting on it to arrive. I returned the charger to my local vape shop and they replaced it with an xtar. Things seem to be in order now. Thanks for the help, guys.

I can't find any real info on this. I am usingnthe I4 with them, and have had no problems. I emailed Vaperev, and am waiting for them to respond. Is there anywhere else saying this or any documentation showing a problem ?

So after going back to my local vape shop, the guys there told me that the charger they gave me earlier was faulty as they tried it themselves and it wouldn't work with other batteries either. Seems to me that I received a bad charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread