internal battery mods vs. rechargeable mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseyman32

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2014
maryland
Hello all, I've been vaping for a year coming up this month and have sworn by mods with internal batteries and I'm noticing that through out the day that as the charge lessens I have to turn up the watts or have to take a way deeper drag to get the effect I get when it's newly charged. So what I've heard is that a regulated box mid that takes removable and rechargeable batteries give you the same freshly charged hit until it needs recharging, is this true? And if it is what would be a good affordable choice, I don't really sub ohm yet so I'm looking for something around 30-50 watts that can run a clearo or dropped, affodable in case I do. Sorrry for the long post

Hans Wermhat

Vaping Master
Jun 9, 2015
Texas
The general consensus among those here who are considered the battery gurus (Mooch, Baditude, and one or 2 others) is that removable batteries are made with a safer chemistry that the built-in Li-Po batteries. They are less likely to explode or catch fire when things go horribly wrong. The other argument in favor of removable batteries is that when the battery dies, you take it out and put in another one and vape on. When an internal battery dies, the entire device is useless. A $6 battery is a lot cheaper to replace than a whole mod. As far as which new device to chose, that's a personal choice. You can find a lot of great high power mods for around $50 and set yourself up for your future vaping needs. Vaping Cheap is a decent place to look for reviews and deals. I saw the iPV4s for about $50 the other day on there. There's a new SMY 60W mod out for less than $40 with a large, flashy screen that resembles a car's dashboard. Too many choices these days. Shop around and find what you like. www.vapecrawler.com is another good resource if you already know what you want to buy.

Electrodave

LPV
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2015
Denver, CO
www.electrostring.com
It sounds to me more like the difference between mech mods and regulated mods. Mech mods lose power as the battery discharges. Regulated mods keep the power (or voltage--depending on the mod and the mode you're using it in) steady until there isn't enough charge left in the battery, then they shut down. A mech will keep going until you fry your battery completely.

roxynoodle

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 19, 2014
Ohio
I have mods with internal batteries and some with removable batteries, and I don't notice what you're saying at all. Both kinds vape well at the same wattage until right before they need charging. What mod are you using and how old is it?

I haven't noticed that either.

To the OP, IPV d2 or Sigelei 75W. Both nice and affordable.

jerseyman32

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2014
maryland
I have mods with internal batteries and some with removable batteries, and I don't notice what you're saying at all. Both kinds vape well at the same wattage until right before they need charging. What mod are you using and how old is it?
I'm using 2 30 watt I sticks and a 20 watt mvp there both around a year old

Reactions: Oregon Linda

NoFumus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2015
St. Paul, Minnesota
Hello all, I've been vaping for a year coming up this month and have sworn by mods with internal batteries and I'm noticing that through out the day that as the charge lessens I have to turn up the watts or have to take a way deeper drag to get the effect I get when it's newly charged.

For about five months the only battery I really used was an lone iStick 30W, and I was charging it twice a day or using it in pass through mode for half the day. After about five months, it didn't seem to be holding its charge as well, making me think it might be approaching the end of its life. I'm still using it, but now I also have a mod with external batteries.

jerseyman32

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2014
maryland
I Just confused with All the new mods now. I
Wanna get something that's reliable that can be used with like clearo and drippers that's not like 200 watts lol, I know that I'm sticking to vaping for sure now and the brick and morters around me only carry egos so I primarily go on the reviews from the people on here because there honest and unbias. Thanks again everyone

Reactions: Oregon Linda

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
I, personally, have never owned a mod with an internal (non removable) though I did consider buying an Istick 50 before they started blowing up.
I have only experienced a possible drop off of performance on one of the 4 Panny 18650pf's that I use in rotation. And I'm really not totally convinced of that.
But the idea of a throw away mod just don't appeal to me. I've owned Vamo, Sigelei, and Cloupor, Hotcig Hana Clones for about 2 years.
YRMV

jerseyman32

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 25, 2014
maryland
I, personally, have never owned a mod with an internal (non removable) though I did consider buying an Istick 50 before they started blowing up.
I have only experienced a possible drop off of performance on one of the 4 Panny 18650pf's that I use in rotation. And I'm really not totally convinced of that.
But the idea of a throw away mod just don't appeal to me. I've owned Vamo, Sigelei, and Cloupor, Hotcig Hana Clones for about 2 years.
YRMV

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Hello all, I've been vaping for a year coming up this month and have sworn by mods with internal batteries and I'm noticing that through out the day that as the charge lessens I have to turn up the watts or have to take a way deeper drag to get the effect I get when it's newly charged. So what I've heard is that a regulated box mid that takes removable and rechargeable batteries give you the same freshly charged hit until it needs recharging, is this true? And if it is what would be a good affordable choice, I don't really sub ohm yet so I'm looking for something around 30-50 watts that can run a clearo or dropped, affodable in case I do. Sorrry for the long post

Like you, I've only ever used internal batteries. Unless the board is wonky, the VV or VW should hold your settings. If the battery gets old, it may not last as long but it'll keep the settings for your vape.
    I have very much noticed changes in my coils/wick that come to require a different setting. I'd bet on that for what you're experiencing.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada

Regulated mods should maintain their power output until the mod shuts down because minimum battery voltage has been reached. They are not all created equal though. My Vapor Shark DNA40 maintains 40 watts through the majority of a battery charge, but I can tell when the battery is almost done by the reduction in power at the end. My Sigelei 150 holds the power set until it shuts down, but I never vape it at maximum power and that could affect this. The type of battery used and weather it's soldered in or removeable is not a factor in this, it's all about the regulator board.

With regulated mods the resistance is pretty much irrelevant as long as it's in the range your mod can fire. Resistance is significant with mechanical mods because that is the biggest factor in what sets the power (watts) you're going to be vaping at and the power level is what determines how much current you're going to be drawing from the battery. With a VW mod you set the power and the regulator keeps it there to the best of it's ability. Battery current draw will increase as the battery drains because its voltage goes down, but resistance has no bearing on this.

edyle

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 23, 2013
    Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago

The batteries are a nominal life cycle of 300 recharges.
    However, of course, they do not perform the same all the time then suddenly stop after 300 recharges.
    They get old, and performance drops off gradually.

With fixed battery mods, once you are no longer satisfied with the perfomance of the battery you have to basically toss the mod.

With replaceable battery mods, you use newer batteries, especially when running higher powered coils.

jerseyman32

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 25, 2014
    maryland
    Like you, I've only ever used internal batteries. Unless the board is wonky, the VV or VW should hold your settings. If the battery gets old, it may not last as long but it'll keep the settings for your vape.
    I have very much noticed changes in my coils/wick that come to require a different setting. I'd bet on that for what you're experiencing.
    So it maybe the coils? I use the eleaf gs coils
    So your saying it maybe the coils? Hmm never thought of that, I use the eleaf gs coils and the gsm tank. What do ya think?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    So it maybe the coils? I use the eleaf gs coils

So your saying it maybe the coils? Hmm never thought of that, I use the eleaf gs coils and the gsm tank. What do ya think?

Nothing wrong with those type. Unless you got knock-offs. Just saying that it's not unusual that the coil gets gunky or clogged wick...requiring a change in the settings.
    I've had to learn over time that if I vape lower power often, I have to crank it up on occasion to " blow out the carbon ".

Reactions: jerseyman32

jerseyman32

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 25, 2014
    maryland
    Regulated mods should maintain their power output until the mod shuts down because minimum battery voltage has been reached. They are not all created equal though. My Vapor Shark DNA40 maintains 40 watts through the majority of a battery charge, but I can tell when the battery is almost done by the reduction in power at the end. My Sigelei 150 holds the power set until it shuts down, but I never vape it at maximum power and that could affect this. The type of battery used and weather it's soldered in or removeable is not a factor in this, it's all about the regulator board.

With regulated mods the resistance is pretty much irrelevant as long as it's in the range your mod can fire. Resistance is significant with mechanical mods because that is the biggest factor in what sets the power (watts) you're going to be vaping at and the power level is what determines how much current you're going to be drawing from the battery. With a VW mod you set the power and the regulator keeps it there to the best of it's ability. Battery current draw will increase as the battery drains because its voltage goes down, but resistance has no bearing on this.
    Thanks ryedan, my thing is when freshly charged my I stick 30a hit really well, I barely push the power button to get a nice pull at 15 watts but as the day progressed I must increase the wattage and hold the power button longer and it's still not the same, I use the eleaf gs m tanks and gs air coils 1.5.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread