Interview with David Yang coming to YouTube!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2009
Yuba City, California
Yes, I am trying to come up with questions and could really use everyone's help! We need to know what you want to know (within reason of course - no questions like "When is the Obsession coming?" or "When will the 510LR atties be re-released?", please). Things like "When did you first decide to get into the ecig industry?", and "What made you decide on ecigs when you decided to get into retail?", and "What is your personal favorite EM product for your own everyday use?" would be great questions to start off with.

David started Eastmall with $1,000 USD and grew the entire company (which I'd imagine grosses over $1 million per year in sales, but I don't know for sure) from there. Maybe we could base a question or two off of that.

But we want to know what YOU want to know, so post your questions for David here and I will ask them in the interview as long as they are not things like "When will (insert product here) be coming?".

I think most of us would like to know the answers to the questions about the LR510s and other product release questions. His starting the company with $1000 and such are nice questions but not something I really care about. I'm happy for him but more concerned about the products I use of his and when they'll be available.

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
I think most of us would like to know the answers to the questions about the LR510s and other product release questions. His starting the company with $1000 and such are nice questions but not something I really care about. I'm happy for him but more concerned about the products I use of his and when they'll be available.

Announcements about product availability and new product releases are a carefully planned and timed procedure. These are only done at the proper times, for many reasons, one being because we don't want to set any dates if we are not 100% certain it will be on that date. 99.9% won't even cut it. If we set our own deadlines and then something happens to push it back, the uproar could be very difficult to deal with.

The second major reason for planning and timing announcements is "The Osbourne Effect" (from Wikipedia):

The Osborne effect is a term referring to the unintended consequence of the announcement of a future product ahead of its availability and its impact upon the sales of the current product.

Pre-announcement is done for several reasons: to reassure current customers that there is improvement or lower cost coming, to increase the interest of the media and investors in the company's future prospects, and to intimidate or confuse competitors. When done correctly the sales or cash flow impact to the company is minimal as the revenue drop for the current product is replaced by orders or completed sales of the new product as it becomes available.

The Osborne effect occurs when this pre-announcement is made either unaware of the risks involved or when the timing is misjudged. Customers react immediately by canceling or deferring orders for the current product, knowing that it will soon be obsolete. Inventories increase and the company must react by either discounting or lowering production of the current product. Either of these choices depresses cash flow. In the actual case of Osborne Computer Corporation, the company took more than a year to make its next product available. It ran out of cash and went bankrupt in 1985.

So hopefully that answers your questions on why this won't be a medium for announcements. The main purpose of this interview is to let the consumers get to know David as a person, and to give everyone a little bit of company background and previously little-known information about Eastmall.

If this isn't interesting to you, that's okay - it's not for everyone, and not everyone is going to care about David, Eastmall history, or the tour of the new factory. It's mainly intended for those who will find it interesting.

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
After the incident with the misjudged pre-announcement of the Obsession, we've definitely learned our lesson, and pre-announcements are handled a bit differently at EM now as a result. Honestly, I don't even think David could possibly give exact dates on the 510LR even if he wanted to, as phase 1 of testing has only just begun less than a week ago. But we have been authorized to say that it is very near, and at least a second batch is in production as we speak (the first batch had the resistance a bit higher than David liked).

See this thread for more info on the LR510 (starting with post #55):
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ly-redesigned-510lr-atties-samples-way-6.html

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Here's the list of questions so far - I'm going to try to set this up for tomorrow or Saturday, so please get your questions in ASAP!

1.) Your Western name is David Yang - how do you pronounce your real, Chinese name?

2.) When did you first decide to get into the ecig industry?

3.) What made you decide on ecigs when you decided to get into retail?

4.) What is your personal favorite EM product for your own everyday use?

5.) What is your favorite battery and atomizer combination?

6.) What is your favorite flavor of liquid?

7.) How difficult was it to start the company with only $1,000 USD?

8.) Do you have plans to make Eastmall a pubic company (sell stocks in EM)?

9.) You are currently in the first stage of testing for the new LR 510 atomizers. Anything you can tell us about your experience with these new ones so far?

10.) Is there anything you can tell us about the progress on the Obsession?

11.) Do we have any other new products coming in the forseeable future?

12.) Any hints on what we can expect to come?

13.) You recently purchased your own factory. What are you manufacturing there?

14.) Do you have any plans to expand your factory and do more with it at some point?

15.) When you aren't working, what do you enjoy doing in your spare time?

16.) Congratulations on your recent engagement to Selina! You're getting married soon - are Di and I going to be invited to the wedding (jokingly)?

17.) You agreed to give us a tour of the factory, can you do that for us now?

I'd like to get this up to a minimum of 20-25 questions.

Last edited:

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Please note that not all of these questions are guaranteed to be answered by him, and not all may even make it into the final interview question list. I did throw in a couple of "risky" ones for those who at least want some hints on the future. Don't expect direct answers or announcements though, if he agrees to give any answers to them at all, the most you can expect are likely going to be hints. You never know though - there could be a few gems in there! He might even divulge the newest coming product (don't ask me though - I know NOTHING, and if I told you, I'd have to kill you hahaha)!

Last edited:

dskarpus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2009
Manhattan Upper West Side
Ok. David - In the time Eastmall has been in existence there have been a few "bumps": monsoon, Icelandic volcano, package inspection, Beijing traffic jam, monsoon (happens every year), website hacked, LR510 fails. And that's just what we know about. We curse you, praise you and pity you all at the same time. Your family loves you. What do your friends call you?

EMRocks

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok. David - In the time Eastmall has been in existence there have been a few "bumps": monsoon, Icelandic volcano, package inspection, Beijing traffic jam, monsoon (happens every year), website hacked, LR510 fails. And that's just what we know about. We curse you, praise you and pity you all at the same time. Your family loves you. What do your friends call you?

hahahahaha we might need to make a "bonus content" section just for that question hahaha

Snowball

Dec 1, 2010
Portugal
It's a question someone asked on page 3 of this thread:
I admit I missed it when I read the list and then had to pay attention when coinmaster mentioned it, but yeah.. there's a crucial L missing there.. :)

Di

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2008
*Australia*
Quote Originally Posted by EMRocks View Post
It's a question someone asked on page 3 of this thread:
I admit I missed it when I read the list and then had to pay attention when coinmaster mentioned it, but yeah.. there's a crucial L missing there..
Quote Originally Posted by EMRocks View Post

wow, -- if they do go -- " Pubic, "

I am gonna buy stock !!!!!!!!!!

dskarpus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2009
Manhattan Upper West Side
pubichare.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread