introducing a smoker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
so my dad is coming to visit me and im really excited as i have not seen him in a year. he smokes a pack to half a pack a day as he has cut back (but he will never stop) i myself vape. right now ive got a nemesis with a .5ohm stillare and a .8 or .9 fogger v4 with juice that is 10mg set up. i was going to let him try them if he was willing however heres my problem i only smoked fr 3 years at 2 packs a day and instantly took to vaping and using fruity flavors. i was wondering for those of you like my father who smoked for 30 plus years how this would go over for you guys and how did you get started? would my set up be too strong? how about flavors would a cigarette smoker of that many years prefer a cigarette based juice? ive tried talking to my father and his answer is "i tried it and it doesnt work" he only tried a cig a like.

also the only tobacco flavor i have is captain black but that taste more like chocolate than anything. thanks guys!!

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
firstly see if he WANTS to stop smoking.

secondly if he is willing (prepare for the coughing and reassure him that'll wear off) have him try yours, or take him to a local B&M that has a sample tasting bar.

My guy was one of those smokers, and his first juice was some local concoction called "Brutal Juice" in a 24mg, tobacco and some other strong flavors, it was HARSH (40+yr 2PAD smoker same deal had tried those blus and it just made him want a ciggie) but he's settled into tropicals and ones like Claim Your Throne. You know what you dad likes to eat dessert wise? if there's no B&M order a lil 15ml of something that you wouldn't mind using or know someone who would and good luck!

there's some tobacco flavored ones, you know taste is subjective.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I am your father, Luke. 40+ year up to 3 pad smoker. However, I was ready and actively try to quit...and that is important.

I started on cig-sized. I don't think in the beginning that I would have been happy with anything bigger than an ego. I was also sure that I needed a tobacco flavor, and I likely did need that until my taste buds and sense of smell came back. The exploration of other fruity flavors came 3-4 months down the road. Since I was such a heavy chain smoker, it took 24mg liquid to keep me satisfied.

The best you can do is introduce him to ecigs and hope.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
he said he wants to stop..now whether he meant it or just wanted to please me is another story. so my device might be too strong? should i prepare something at 2 ohms then as well as up the nic content? thats another thing i make all my liquids myself and have every fruit flavor one could imagine. if i could find a good margarita juice he would probably like that so if anyone knows a good vendor im interested

Johnny Popular

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2013
New Mexico
I tried this with my Mom. She smoked one to two packs a day for thirty plus years. I got her an ego with some mega cartos at 1.7 ohm. That did the trick for a minute, she, sadly, has returned to smoking, citing overwhelming stress as the reason, but it's only two or three cigarettes a day, nowhere near the amount she used to smoke. I hope she can kick it again, and I will keep on her about it.

Recycled Roadkill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2013
Garland, TX
Another approach might be to have him try an ego type set up to help him reduce the amount he's smoking presently. I was a hard core, I'm never gonna quit cuz I'm too addicted and resigned to be a smoker for the rest of my life, kinda guy.

After buying an Evod set up I realized withing 24 hours I'd never need another cigarette again and, all on my own at that.

It's always better and easier when one convinces himself that he doesn't need cigarettes any longer.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
first: Share information! Tell him about how you found vaping and what you started on. Read the new members forum here, there are tons of stories there, paraphrase some of those and share it with him.
Third: If it was my dad I'd drop some money on a few egos (or mvp2) and some decent clearomisers (fasttech and focalecig have great prices but ship from china, so expect a few weeks in shipping, in the US 101vapes has decent prices). If you've got some old egos laying around with some decent clearos, you could start there too.
Second: Before you give him a new setup, take him to a vapor bar. Have him try some different flavors. I'd say try a bit of everything - tobacco, fruit, alcoholic drinks, candy, cerial, whatever. I have an issue with textures.. like when i taste cheese cake, I expect that texture in my mouth. same with cereal. Not true with peaches and cream and such though.. anyway, everyone is different, so just have him try different flavors so he can have an idea of what he likes. get a few 15ml bottles (or less) of a few flavors that knock his socks off. I would get some different flavors instead of a bunch of one flavor because it gives you variety and there have been times where i get through a tank of juice, after loving it in the store, and I find it unvapable. Also, his taste buds will change over the next few months if he does decide to completely quit smoking.

My success has been limited. I've converted my brother in law by sharing my ego with him when we were out drinking. I converted my aunt and uncle to dual users (smoke and vape), but every cigarette they dont smoke is a win! I'm still working on my wifes parents, but I'm not pushing to hard yet... They are pretty stubborn so I'll probably have to kid nap them to get them to go out and try flavors. Plan on buying a setup for them for christmas... I know thats a ways away, but I'm playing the long game XD
I work from home and dont know many smokers anymore. the list above are the only smokers I know, so I've had some decent success. Better than half.. lol
I think your setup would be too powerful for him, and I'd start him off slow with an ego or mvp, with a protank 2 or 3 mini or maybe a nautilus mini.
hth

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
PURCHASE by yourself something simple like an ego battery and a mini protank and some high nic juice and give it to him. if hes a nice guy he will have no choice but to at least TRY the gift you purchased for him with your own money. hopefully if he does try it will stick

^^^ This would be my suggestion. He will most likely want a tobacco that is close to a cigarette. We all know that's unrealistic but some are closer than others, ask around for opinions. He will need that instant nic buzz that he's used to, I would think something in a 18mg or 24mg would do it. I hope he succeeds.

xena222

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2014
PA
So much good advice! He may only want tobacco flavors to start - I still only vape menthol, my hubby figured out he likes clove - taste testing is a GREAT idea...cause he will know what he likes the taste of :)
I started out only wanting a cigalike...but they REALLY don't do the trick for a long term smoker....it may be hard to convince him to try - but I love my Evod! Just took me a while to get off of it "has to look and feel and act like a cigarette"
You are a good kid to try to help him - I wish I had been able to help my mom with this....you have all my good thoughts - the best you can do is try!! :D

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
i was wondering for those of you like my father who smoked for 30 plus years how this would go over for you guys and how did you get started?
Almost 40 years for yours truly and towards to end I was up to 3 packs per day. My daughter introduced me to e-cigs. They sucked. I resisted and didn't even make it a full day with them. So I smoked for 2 more years. Then I found out I was going to become a grandfather so I just buckled under and made the leap. (Could't do it for my kids but grandkids? Go figure).

So here's what I think: Your Dad is going to need some external motivation to quit. And I'm not sure that you offering an alternative just for the sake of it being an "alternative" is going to be enough. You need to find out what buttons to help him push for himself - I don't know his history. I just know us professional smokers really are weak-willed when it comes to our tobacco. :) That's why we smoked for so long.

Whatever you do, when you try this make sure he vapes 3 to 4 times as often as he smokes and none of this 12mg crap either. Make sure he gets his nicotine. I truly think this is the primary reason people fail when they try to cross over for the first time and not so much the gear.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Nicoticket Virus? I think its an awesome tobacco. Maybe some of the Halo flavors.

I smoked 35 years and was sure I couldn't quit. It took me 2 months to finally vape 100%. However I did immediately cut my cig usage in half.

I found Halo Prime 15 the be a pretty good analog likeness.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
So much good advice! He may only want tobacco flavors to start - I still only vape menthol, my hubby figured out he likes clove - taste testing is a GREAT idea...cause he will know what he likes the taste of :)
I started out only wanting a cigalike...but they REALLY don't do the trick for a long term smoker....it may be hard to convince him to try - but I love my Evod! Just took me a while to get off of it "has to look and feel and act like a cigarette"
You are a good kid to try to help him - I wish I had been able to help my mom with this....you have all my good thoughts - the best you can do is try!! :D

I quit using blu, but after a month it was just too much of a hassle for little enjoyment.
There are better cigalikes out there, but they are spendy. I think indoor smokers on YouTube has reviewed quite a few. The vision aio (I think that's what it is called) has some great reviews too.
I was the same... Needs to look and feel like a cigarette. But after a while I didn't care what it looked like, I just needed something better to keep me off cigarettes, so ego it was. That was over a year ago!

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I found Halo Prime 15 the be a pretty good analog likeness.

I think it is really brand dependent.
As a previous poster said, it's like chasing a unicorn to find something that tastes like your brand. Have HIM find something good and go with that instead. Not saying it can't be tobacco, but don't expect to find something to match his brand. After over a year I finally found something that matches the camels I used to smoke (atleast how I remember they tasted...) mixed by a local shop. I use that when I'm out drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread