introducing a smoker...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjvdh

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2014
PA
I think it is really brand dependent.
As a previous poster said, it's like chasing a unicorn to find something that tastes like your brand. Have HIM find something good and go with that instead. Not saying it can't be tobacco, but don't expect to find something to match his brand. After over a year I finally found something that matches the camels I used to smoke (atleast how I remember they tasted...) mixed by a local shop. I use that when I'm out drinking.

This is something I struggle with if I'm sober I can easily vape all day without wanting a real cigarette however soon as I start drinking my moonshine I want a REAL cigarette which I usually take three puffs and throw it away and cough a ....load. Do you mind sharing which brand this is you are referring too? Sorry I got off topic but Goodluck with getting your father to make the switch OP!!

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
thanks for all the advice guys, he is coming to visit for three days, so ive got three days to try to make this work. i have an old evod starter kit i first bought to get started so its just sitting there collecting dust in my vape box so i think im going to clean it up and pass it onto him. i hope he quits. one poster mentioned his history which brought up a great point. so get this my dads current wife doesnt know that he smokes...well shes caught him a few times but he tries to hide it. hiding smoking from a non smoker...thats a tough one. so im going to raise the point that it will be better for his health as he had heart attack at 46 and he can hide this from the wife a little better. im only 21 so hopefully he takes this seriously and doesnt see this as a "hipster trend" thing for kids and young adults but we shall see. as far as tobacco flavors i have captain black which taste like chocolate so im going to mx up tht and a few other flavors to see what he likes. as for coils ill set up a few coils at 2ohms to 1.5 ohms for the evod. im going to give this a shot and try, whats the worse that could happen right?

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
what would be a good nic strength to start at do you guys think? me personally i started at 36 a moved to 12 within six months. i was think about mixing up some juices at 24mg since he smokes a little less than i do. i just dont want him to feel the need to have a cigarette if that makes sense. i honeslty forget what thats like i vape 12mg never have cravings and mostly just vape for ....s and giggles not because i need it anymore.

Harleybarbie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 7, 2009
Wonderland
I started on 18mg in flavors Cinnamon Red Hot, Ripe Banana, Blueberry & Sweettart
I smoked for 30 years, I was a 2 1/2 PAD light ciggy smoker, sometimes more. When my nephew bought me an ego and made juice for me I messed around with it for about a month.
Then I started vaping instead of smoking one weekend.
By Monday morning I had made a conscious decision to try to replace smoking with vaping. By 6pm I'd not had a ciggy since 5am so I sat down to smoke the 2 I had left in my pack. I had 8 packs left unopened, I smoked the last 2 I had in that pack and those were the last time I had a ciggy. July 29, 2013.
I don't know if I would have stopped on Tobacco flavored juices. I just found that the flavors I tried tasted like Candy and they were so much better.
Good luck with converting your dad, I hope you get to give him the best present of his life. Let us know how it goes!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
i was wondering for those of you like my father who smoked for 30 plus years how this would go over for you guys and how did you get started?

Start like most people start, Ego type battery like a twist or spinner or evod, then a nice simple clearo on top, maybe protank II mini or something.

He can go from there.

Get a tobacco juice, a fruit, and maybe a dessert or candy. That should cover it.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
what would be a good nic strength to start at do you guys think? me personally i started at 36 a moved to 12 within six months.

That is ENTIRELY based on how much the person smokes now, and what brand. give me and idea and I"ll tell you the mg.

Starting off high is not good for everyone. I over-nicked a few newbies that way, they were smoking ultra lights, or smoking full flavor but only 1/2 pack or less a day. It made them sick. (in my defense, I was a newbie at the time myself and only had higher nic stuff back then.....)

your dad, pack and 1/2 a day, if full flavor...probably needs 18mg or 24mg.

imsoenthused

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK
If you have a local shop with an old guy who has been vaping a while, take him there to chat with him. My favorite local store, the owners father comes in and works the counter a few days a week and I have to say it's amazing how much difference it can make to older folks to have someone closer to their age to talk to. My mother's best friend, my other mother so to speak, I don't think we'd have convinced her to even give it a serious try if it weren't for that polite gentleman 10 years her senior calmly vaping away behind the counter and answering her questions. He didn't tell her a single thing I couldn't have, but it made a huge difference coming from him. She felt comfortable enough to actually ask the questions and listen to his answers in a way that she couldn't with a 30 year old "kid" like me.

Tell him you would like to have him around to someday meet his grandkids. Start him with the simplest gear( the evod sounds perfect) and don't confuse him with alot of tech talk ( he'll start asking questions if it takes)for a baby vaper it's too much information, get some cheap bottom coil/fill clearomizers there are alot on the market but even Ce4's will work for awhile. If you have a mint or a menthol put just a touch in a 24mg e juice. The fresh taste can be very pleasant and brings out something in fruit flavors. The main thing is don't be upset if he goes out to have a cig after he's vaped for a little while. Some people can switch right away (I did) others will move back and forth for awhile. The good news is most end up giving up the analogs for vapeing eventually,just be patient and encourage him to vape with you when your around. and send him a few sample sz bottles every once in a while,then call him and ask how he liked them. Just keep the conversation going even after he leaves your house and let him know your interested in his progress. Thats all you can do ,the rest is all up to him. Bless you for loving him enough to want to save his life.:angel:

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
thanks for all the advice guys, he is coming to visit for three days, so ive got three days to try to make this work. i have an old evod starter kit i first bought to get started so its just sitting there collecting dust in my vape box so i think im going to clean it up and pass it onto him. i hope he quits. one poster mentioned his history which brought up a great point. so get this my dads current wife doesnt know that he smokes...well shes caught him a few times but he tries to hide it. hiding smoking from a non smoker...thats a tough one. so im going to raise the point that it will be better for his health as he had heart attack at 46 and he can hide this from the wife a little better. im only 21 so hopefully he takes this seriously and doesnt see this as a "hipster trend" thing for kids and young adults but we shall see. as far as tobacco flavors i have captain black which taste like chocolate so im going to mx up tht and a few other flavors to see what he likes. as for coils ill set up a few coils at 2ohms to 1.5 ohms for the evod. im going to give this a shot and try, whats the worse that could happen right?

I am very new to the vaping scene. All the quitting thoughts and feeling that revolve around quitting cigs are still very fresh with me. The first thing I wanted to say is in regards to your post above. If your Dad looks at you with a smile that says "You're 21, what do you know?", ask him if he would be interested in reading postings from people in his age bracket. Or if he already socializes via computer introduce him here and set him up reading a thread like "Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch part 2". Who knows...the folks here are so nice that maybe he will make a few new solid friendships.

The other things I wanted to share is that even the idea of quitting smoking to some immediately raises the hairs on the back of the neck. A couple of months ago if I even talked about quitting I would get nervous to the point that I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. Be careful to go slow with your Dad. It might not happen in your three day allotment, but you may plant a seed that takes root when he is home and can think about it. Since I have always felt such anxiety when approaching the thought of quitting cigs I took an approach that gave me an out in case I failed. I told myself that I would give this e-cig thing a try and worst case scenario is I could have a cig if I wanted to. I mean I read of plenty of people that continued to smoke for a while until they adjusted to the e-cig so why couldn't I give it a try. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just so you know my back story a bit. I am 50 yrs old and smoked 1 1/2 to 2 pad for about 38 yrs. Tried everything out there to quit but always felt I was giving up a part of who I was....A Smoker! My home is a multi-generational one, my husband and I live with my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandkids. All adults (minus me for the last 28 days yay) smoke upwards of 1 pad (outside of course). I can see them go out for smoking as well as smell them when they come in so I thought this would make it too hard for me to even think about this. As crappy of a club as it is I didn't think I could give up being part of the smokers club, but I have!! At first I cont to vape as if I was smoking. I would go outside, but instead of lighting up I would vape. This way I was still part of the club see. I know it may sound silly to some but it is what I needed to do. The fun part was a couple of days in when it was pouring rain, windy and lightning outside. I laughed and laughed at the silly one outside smoking their cigs as I sat vaping comfortable and dry. I realized I did not want to be in that club anymore. My point is to not push your Dad. You are doing a very loving thing, but he is the one that has to fight the fight and win or lose it. You cannot do it for him so please let him know you love him no matter what.

One more little point from me. I did not want a juice that tasted like cigs. I was afraid that would be too close in one way but not close enough in another way. In other words I was afraid if too close I would not lose my taste for the real thing and somewhere in my mind think they were interchangeable. I was afraid if not close enough that I would not find satisfaction and look for the "real thing". I was fortunate enough to be able to try some flavors out to see what I liked and picked something along the idea of a coffee, caramel flavor to start with. You mix your own so see if he will try some other tastes before the tobacco one. Also, even though I was a heavy long time smoker....I found that even the 18mg in vape form made me jittery, so I quickly dropped to 12 and find at night I like even 6. Make no assumptions about what may work for him, just encourage him to talk with you and other (on here maybe) before thinking it wont work.

I wish you the best of luck and remember....even if your three day plan doesn't seem like it worked, You will be planting a seed that will stay with him. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't take right away. I am still working on my family in hopes they will see the light. Just love your Dad no matter what. :wub:

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
^^^ +1 on what Jode says....

Dad's got to *WANT* to step away. The best thing you can do is to be an example to him. Maybe he'll get curious if he sees how well you're doing with yours. Might want to not blow him away with clouds (at least for me, smoking wasn't about the cloud, but the hand-to-mouth habit.) It is all up to the individual. I wished I would have been more diligent four years ago when I first tried vaping. Maybe I could have convinced my uncle to do that instead of smoking his pipes. He lost the fight last summer :( I just feel now, that since I'm vaping instead of smoking, I have better than a snowball's chance in hell to try to avoid that fate.

Good Luck and give him a ginormous hug when you see him :)

Bimini Twist

Twisted Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
Redneck Riviera
www.mboyd.com
Is he flying?

I got my first cig-a-like back in '08 or '09 and, though it was not good enough to help me quit, it DID help me keep my sanity through those long trips behind airport security gates - all non-smoking areas. I really did want to quit, though. I even spent a small fortune on the "patch" one year.

Two years later, somebody let me try their cig-a-like and I realized how much the tech had changed. I was able to quit as soon as I got my own. Then moved on up to the better vaporizers and it became a hobby (bad thing?).

This after 37 years averaging a pack and a half a day. I think what did it for me was that vaping satisfied the hand to mouth movement and inhalation habits.

SmokinRabbit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2009
That is ENTIRELY based on how much the person smokes now, and what brand. give me and idea and I"ll tell you the mg.

Starting off high is not good for everyone. I over-nicked a few newbies that way, they were smoking ultra lights, or smoking full flavor but only 1/2 pack or less a day. It made them sick. (in my defense, I was a newbie at the time myself and only had higher nic stuff back then.....)

your dad, pack and 1/2 a day, if full flavor...probably needs 18mg or 24mg.

Good advice here. You should figure out how much nicotine (about) he's getting with his current brand of cigarettes, then go from there.

One of my biggest problems with vaping has been getting the nicotine level right. I seem to be pretty sensitive to too much of it, and though I was a heavy smoker -- 2 PAD for almost 30 years -- I smoked ultra ultra ultra light cigarettes. When figuring out how much nicotine to use in vaping, I would say brand of tobacco cigarettes matters as much, if not more than the amount smoked!

I'm actually vaping about 1/2 my amount in 0mg now, though I do still use about 1-2ml per day of 1.5mg nicotine.

Also flavors: you'd think that someone who smoked so much would want really good tobacco flavors. I was the opposite. All of them just tasted artificial to me, Plus, the sweet flavors like watermelon and waffle actually has helped to turn me off to tobacco cigarettes. This is likely a very personal choice, so for your dad I'd probably have both handy for him to try.

For me, hand-to-mouth smoking action was more important than anything else, but that's a personal choice too. I think you've gotten good advice on equipment, but be sure to also encourage your dad that if he doesn't like what you give him, there are so many options available that you could help him pick something else out. Be a resource for him. Take him to a vape shop, if you have a decent one locally.

Good luck! I hope you're dad can be open minded to all of it!

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
This doesn't have to be an "intervention" style conversation. I'm pretty sure you could do it in passing.... Like hey dad, this is nicotine, try this. Or on your way grocery shopping have him pop into a vape shop with you and sample some flavors, have him give a few a shot.
I'm not saying that is the way to go, but it's an option. Different people respond differently to situations. You know your dad, just approach it best for him!

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
I am very new to the vaping scene. All the quitting thoughts and feeling that revolve around quitting cigs are still very fresh with me. The first thing I wanted to say is in regards to your post above. If your Dad looks at you with a smile that says "You're 21, what do you know?", ask him if he would be interested in reading postings from people in his age bracket. Or if he already socializes via computer introduce him here and set him up reading a thread like "Older Folks and Vaping Front Porch part 2". Who knows...the folks here are so nice that maybe he will make a few new solid friendships.

The other things I wanted to share is that even the idea of quitting smoking to some immediately raises the hairs on the back of the neck. A couple of months ago if I even talked about quitting I would get nervous to the point that I could feel my heart pounding in my ears. Be careful to go slow with your Dad. It might not happen in your three day allotment, but you may plant a seed that takes root when he is home and can think about it. Since I have always felt such anxiety when approaching the thought of quitting cigs I took an approach that gave me an out in case I failed. I told myself that I would give this e-cig thing a try and worst case scenario is I could have a cig if I wanted to. I mean I read of plenty of people that continued to smoke for a while until they adjusted to the e-cig so why couldn't I give it a try. I had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Just so you know my back story a bit. I am 50 yrs old and smoked 1 1/2 to 2 pad for about 38 yrs. Tried everything out there to quit but always felt I was giving up a part of who I was....A Smoker! My home is a multi-generational one, my husband and I live with my daughter, son-in-law, and 2 grandkids. All adults (minus me for the last 28 days yay) smoke upwards of 1 pad (outside of course). I can see them go out for smoking as well as smell them when they come in so I thought this would make it too hard for me to even think about this. As crappy of a club as it is I didn't think I could give up being part of the smokers club, but I have!! At first I cont to vape as if I was smoking. I would go outside, but instead of lighting up I would vape. This way I was still part of the club see. I know it may sound silly to some but it is what I needed to do. The fun part was a couple of days in when it was pouring rain, windy and lightning outside. I laughed and laughed at the silly one outside smoking their cigs as I sat vaping comfortable and dry. I realized I did not want to be in that club anymore. My point is to not push your Dad. You are doing a very loving thing, but he is the one that has to fight the fight and win or lose it. You cannot do it for him so please let him know you love him no matter what.

One more little point from me. I did not want a juice that tasted like cigs. I was afraid that would be too close in one way but not close enough in another way. In other words I was afraid if too close I would not lose my taste for the real thing and somewhere in my mind think they were interchangeable. I was afraid if not close enough that I would not find satisfaction and look for the "real thing". I was fortunate enough to be able to try some flavors out to see what I liked and picked something along the idea of a coffee, caramel flavor to start with. You mix your own so see if he will try some other tastes before the tobacco one. Also, even though I was a heavy long time smoker....I found that even the 18mg in vape form made me jittery, so I quickly dropped to 12 and find at night I like even 6. Make no assumptions about what may work for him, just encourage him to talk with you and other (on here maybe) before thinking it wont work.

I wish you the best of luck and remember....even if your three day plan doesn't seem like it worked, You will be planting a seed that will stay with him. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't take right away. I am still working on my family in hopes they will see the light. Just love your Dad no matter what. :wub:

Side bar:
Winter is coming.. I think Christmas this year should be some vape gear for your loved ones!
Focalecigs.com has some great deals... There is also fasttech and 101vape. Vision spinner 2 with a protank 3 or aero tank is a great start. A better start would be an mvp2 with one of those thanks. If your looking to spend more, a nautilus bvc would probably seal the deal for them!

Just trying to help :)

DrMA

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 26, 2013
Seattle area
It took me 2 years of constant, but gentle nudging to get my mother (30-y 2 PAD smoker, age 61) to finally give vaping a chance. I started her off with a eGo-Twist VV device and Vivi Nova Tanks (this was about 1 yr ago) + some nice DIY juice in 18mg with a "tobacco" flavor that we both worked on and tailored to her taste - which BTW tasted nothing like cigs, and was mostly raisin flavor with a dash of "Cuban supreme" and "Burley tobacco". I also worked with her to get just the right PG/VG ratio for her liking, which I think played a major role in her continued success (ended up being 40/60 PG/VG).

She's been vaping exclusively for more than 1 yr now. She does not DIY juice, but rather buys store-made liquids that approximate our original concoction in both flavor and PG/VG content.

My advice to the OP: talk to your dad. Tell him your vape story, tell him you think he has a good chance to successfully make the switch and substantially improve his immediate and long-term health. Tell him you'll help get him started. But don't expect immediate success... Occasional gentle reminders go a long way, but be careful not to nag.

Best of luck!

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
great advice, yea the point bout airports being non smoking areas thats a great point to bring up. also he lives in ohio so yea the weather is a little different with the snow and stuff. like jode said planting a seed, thats the best i can do. another poster hecticenergy brought up a great point as well, how to approach it. i dont want to offend as the idea of quiting smoking makes him uneasy and uncomfortable as he will brush me off as ive brought it up in the past. i guess the best thing to do is to use mine around him like hectic said and go from there. if anyone has any ideas on how to approach relativity sensitive topic such as this im willing to take all the advice i can get.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
great advice, yea the point bout airports being non smoking areas thats a great point to bring up. also he lives in ohio so yea the weather is a little different with the snow and stuff. like jode said planting a seed, thats the best i can do. another poster hecticenergy brought up a great point as well, how to approach it. i dont want to offend as the idea of quiting smoking makes him uneasy and uncomfortable as he will brush me off as ive brought it up in the past. i guess the best thing to do is to use mine around him like hectic said and go from there. if anyone has any ideas on how to approach relativity sensitive topic such as this im willing to take all the advice i can get.

Like others have said, it can be used to cut back his smoking. He doesn't have to quit. It's technically more switching than quitting... Switching to a MUCH less harmful alternative. Being a dual user is fine, it's all about the ones you don't smoke. A full switch is possible, but I wouldn't push it too far. It's your dad, so take what you can get :)
I'm just saying the conversation doesn't have to be about "quitting" more of a "like smoking but without all the tar/rat poison/etc" so I guess, smoking with all the benefits of quitting - increased lung capacity, taste and smell return, less risk of health problems, no longer smell of cigarettes... If he does end up quitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread