Introduction/Battery question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lellowyedbetter

Dec 23, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello all, new here.

I've read Mooch's stuff a lot but I have a bit of trouble bringing it all together. So I'm hoping you lot can fill a few gaps in my knowledge.

I have an RX-GEN3, with 3 x 18650 3000mAh/20A fogstar batteries. The resistance of the coil is .2 and the device says there's 3.8V

So, I assume this equates to ~18A current and the batteries do like to heat up.
What I'm wondering is if there's any issue with that? Do problems occur closer I get to the battery's 20A? Any issues worth noting about heat coming from the batteries? Or is it all moot since it's a regulated device (I remember reading something along those lines).

Could anyone explain why it is or isn't.

Thanks folks.

Reactions: BrotherBob

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Since i don't want to say anything i'm not 100% sure of i'll just say this :
I once had a dual 18650 mod (wismec predator 228) and had a heating issue with it, basically it went hot (not the batteries but the pcb itself) everytime i took 1-2 puffs. As it turned out, the mod was defective, so imo could be your mod ? i'd take it to a the clerk who sold it to you depending on what people say here.

Though if you want the BEST help, i'd suggest adding more details, what type of coils,tank or a rebuildable device?
What kind of wattage are you using along with those ?

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

lellowyedbetter

Dec 23, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Since i don't want to say anything i'm not 100% sure of i'll just say this :
I once had a dual 18650 mod (wismec predator 228) and had a heating issue with it, basically it went hot (not the batteries but the pcb itself) everytime i took 1-2 puffs. As it turned out, the mod was defective, so imo could be your mod ? i'd take it to a the clerk who sold it to you depending on what people say here.

Though if you want the BEST help, i'd suggest adding more details, what type of coils,tank or a rebuildable device?
What kind of wattage are you using along with those ?

Well I wouldn't say it's alarmingly hot, but it's notable. I'd only ever used the alien prior and never noticed any heat. At the moment I have a big baby beast with the T8 coil @ somewhere around 65W.

As you say, depending on what I read I may very well take it back. Unless of course it's an instance of being hyper aware of normal operation..

vapesearch.tk

Unresolved Status
Dec 23, 2017
Czech Republic
vapesearch.tk
  • Deleted by Unforeseen
  • Reason: Unreg Supplier

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Hello all, new here.

I've read Mooch's stuff a lot but I have a bit of trouble bringing it all together. So I'm hoping you lot can fill a few gaps in my knowledge.

I have an RX-GEN3, with 3 x 18650 3000mAh/20A fogstar batteries. The resistance of the coil is .2 and the device says there's 3.8V

So, I assume this equates to ~18A current and the batteries do like to heat up.
What I'm wondering is if there's any issue with that? Do problems occur closer I get to the battery's 20A? Any issues worth noting about heat coming from the batteries? Or is it all moot since it's a regulated device (I remember reading something along those lines).

Could anyone explain why it is or isn't.

The voltage on the display (3.8v) is what being sent to atomiser, not what is being drawn from the batteries and is of no real use. To work out what is being drawn from your batteries you need to do some maths, it's decided by the wattage you select not the coil resistance. I will post a link below on how to do this, but the short answer is that a 20 amp battery is good for 60 watts. So the Gen3 is safe up to 180 watts assuming those Fogstar batteries really are 20 amp, they have not been tested by Mooch so who knows.

The batteries will get warm during use, if they get too hot to touch then that's an issue. The trick is to know and understand what you are drawing from them so that you do not over tax them.
The Gen3 is known to get hot as it is tiny, so any heat from the batteries or the atomizer is going to be quickly inducted into it and will be noticeable.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

lellowyedbetter

Dec 23, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The voltage on the display (3.8v) is what being sent to atomiser, not what is being drawn from the batteries and is of no real use. To work out what is being drawn from your batteries you need to do some maths, it's decided by the wattage you select not the coil resistance. I will post a link below on how to do this, but the short answer is that a 20 amp battery is good for 60 watts. So the Gen3 is safe up to 180 watts assuming those Fogstar batteries really are 20 amp, they have not been tested by Mooch so who knows.

The batteries will get warm during use, if they get too hot to touch then that's an issue. The trick is to know and understand what you are drawing from them so that you do not over tax them.
The Gen3 is know to get hot as it is tiny, so any heat from the batteries or the atomizer is going to be quickly inducted into it and will be noticeable.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

Ahh, okay. That makes much more sense. Thanks for the link, it's hard to find certain things when you're not sure what you're asking :?:

I would like to see some testing on Fogstar's range of batteries. On review alone they seem like quality. I went to theirs from the 30Q and noticed for sure.

Hello and welcome to the ECF community.
@Baditude has some great links.

Much obliged, thanks.

Reactions: stols001

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I would like to see some testing on Fogstar's range of batteries. On review alone they seem like quality. I went to theirs from the 30Q and noticed for sure.

Reviews mean nothing, hard data from reliable testing by Mooch is what I would want to see before I used them.

Chances are they a Samsung 30Q under the Fogstar wrapper. If they are, then you are better off just buying Samsung 30Qs and saving the £1.25 they charged you for a piece of PVC. That and the peace of mind that you have a genuine battery, in case they do a switcheroo to another cell at some later date.
If skulls and logos are your thing you could just rewrap the 30Qs yourself, and get creative with some finger paints or crayons.

lellowyedbetter

Dec 23, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Reviews mean nothing, hard data from reliable testing by Mooch is what I would want to see before I used them.

Chances are they a Samsung 30Q under the Fogstar wrapper. If they are, then you are better off just buying Samsung 30Qs and saving the £1.25 they charged you for a piece of PVC. That and the peace of mind that you have a genuine battery, in case they do a switcheroo to another cell at some later date.
If skulls and logos are your thing you could just rewrap the 30Qs yourself, and get creative with some finger paints or crayons.

Oh, I know. I still have a ton of 30Qs that I still use in other mods. The fogstars were a gift that I've used a few times and have just popped into the rxgen 3. Perhaps it's some form of bias but I do notice an increase in performance but as you say, it's probably better to wait for some Mooch input. I'll retire them for now.

Frankly, I find the skulls a bit gaudy :yawn:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Welcome to ECF, glad you are planning on safe battery usage. I don't know that mod, a bit of heat with hard usage at those wattages wouldn't necessarily trouble me, but if it gets very hot that might be a concern. I vape at much lower wattages, but on occasion with some of my internal batteries, the heat CAN rise a bit (or when charging) but really only to the point of mild warmth. Anything more than that would probably concern me...

Welcome to ECF.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread