Status
Not open for further replies.

moorea

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Marion, MT
phiniac.com
Well it's toast. It quit even being read by windows. But the good part is I have about 250 of the movies on disk and I wanted a 2TB. HDD anyway so now I'm going to get one. As soon as I downloaded that disk it went bye-bye.:):):)

Thanks G$. It has been hectic. It messed up all 3 PCs I have hooked together but I think I got them all working great again. I might be able to spend more time on ECF again.

Glad you got some of it up and running again. You are ahead of us. The hubby is building me a computer right now! I agree with GMoney some sort of raid system is the way to go! The computer we are building has a small 90gb solid state drive for the operating system and 2 2TB's for my data and 2 2TB's for the raid backup! All 5 drives are sataiii and 6gbs. It is also sporting an I7 processor. I had to skimp a bit on the ram, but the mother board will support up to 32gb of ram, so I do intend to update it from the 16gb we have in there now as soon as money is available.

The actual build is finished but setup on this beast is going to take a while. Just installing all my programs is going to take a couple of days and moving all my data over will take a lifetime! SO far it screams! This is actually a new experience for me, it is the first time we decided to upgrade my computer before the one I was using crashed!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Last yr. I was thinking about building a monster water cooled system but I decided it would be overkill. This dual processor 64bt. woks fast enough for the internet but it would be fun to do it. The last one I built was my sons. Now I just get more PCs and hook them to these and use each one for different purposes. That way I can have one doing video while I'm playing games on the other one or surfing the web on this one. Got them all hooked to my big screen and hot keyed to go from one to the other. That keeps me contented.

Last edited:

RippleInStillWater

Supplier's Manufacturer - Offline
ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2010
Land Of Corruption
sorry cant participate on contest, goverment computer have the site blocked

well, that's interesting, I wonder why VF would be blocked, there are some parts that are adult only.........:confused:

I have just left a visitor message for DaSaP here as the prize still has not been claimed!!!! 8-o8-o8-o

moorea

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Marion, MT
phiniac.com
Last yr. I was thinking about building a monster water cooled system but I decided it would be overkill. This dual processor 64bt. woks fast enough for the internet but it would be fun to do it. The last one I built was my sons. Now I just get more PCs and hook them to these and use each one for different purposes. That way I can have one doing video while I'm playing games on the other one or surfing the web on this one. Got them all hooked to my big screen and hot keyed to go from one to the other. That keeps me contented.

The system he is building for me is a bit of overkill.... But I really as needing more power for the graphics programs I was using and this should do it for a while.

And I think he is actually going to release it to me today!!! Can't wait to play with it. Windows loads in under 30 seconds, this means that some of the programs that took a few minutes just to open on my old system should be extremely fast!

Bovinia

Divine Bovine
ECF Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
South Carolina
We used to keep our computers built as monster gaming rigs but obviously haven't been able to upgrade in about 3 years now. 1k watt power supply, quad core processor, a graphics card as big as a lap top, 6 cooling fans LOL. Even on this machine I can still run Skyrim at full graphics. I doubt that I could play any of the new MMOs at full graphics without upgrading at least my graphics card tho, it's an Nvidia GeForce 285gtx...probably about 3 years old.

moorea

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Marion, MT
phiniac.com
Sounds like a pretty good setup for its age!

The system I am upgrading from is about 4+ years old. I didn't want to spend the money on a new computer, but it is starting to show the signs of a system that is about to crash. Bottom line is, my computer feeds the family! We thought about just upgrading this one but the mother board is pretty old by electronics standards and there really wasn't much we could do to upgrade it. My graphics programs were taking 3 or 4 minutes to open and then crashing during use for a lack of memory. That is not good when a customer is waiting for you to complete something.

I am hoping this new systems lasts a while. Today it is awesome and fast, but by next week it will be old news as it is with all electronics!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Sounds like a pretty good setup for its age!

The system I am upgrading from is about 4+ years old. I didn't want to spend the money on a new computer, but it is starting to show the signs of a system that is about to crash. Bottom line is, my computer feeds the family! We thought about just upgrading this one but the mother board is pretty old by electronics standards and there really wasn't much we could do to upgrade it. My graphics programs were taking 3 or 4 minutes to open and then crashing during use for a lack of memory. That is not good when a customer is waiting for you to complete something.

I am hoping this new systems lasts a while. Today it is awesome and fast, but by next week it will be old news as it is with all electronics!

Ya them solid states are nice. I have to wait for them to get just a leeeetle bit cheaper.

moorea

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Marion, MT
phiniac.com
Ya them solid states are nice. I have to wait for them to get just a leeeetle bit cheaper.

Yeah, they are not cheap. I wish I could have gotten a bigger one. We got the smallest one we could find that had good reviews. It is a 90gb. Hence the reason it is only being used for the operating system and my Adobe CS5 Designer Suite. The little bit of space that is left over will be for windows updates. Sure wish I could have afforded a bigger one, but I don't think it will matter that much with the setup I have, as it will take me some time to fill the 4tb's I have with the other two drives.

Would have been awesome to be able to do all 5 drives in SSD!

Modrod.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2010
AZ, USA
Skyrim is an awesome game. I'm playing that on the 360 and playing the new Star Wars MMO on my PC. I just upgraded my gfx card to a 460gtx, my old card finally died. I can run all my games at max settings without issues. I run an i3 with 4gb of ram but I'm going to upgrade when funds allow. I plan to run an i5, add another 4gb of ram, upgrade PSU to 800w and run another 460gtx in SLI. Once that's done I'll be set for awhile.

Running all SSD's is not really a good idea. They mainly allow for faster loading of your OS and programs (that's what they're designed for) but they are not very efficient at read/write. Standard HDD's are still better for that. They can handle larger files much more efficiently than a SSD. SSD's are also designed with a low failure rate so putting your OS on them means that even if one of your HDD's dies you can still access your PC. In short, SSD's for fast boots and app loading, HDD's for read/write.

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
It happened again. DAMN, I got some terrible luck. I tried to access a movie on the external HDD and windows says "This Hdd needs to be formatted before it can be used. I have a recovery program running on it now to get my movies back. I put it inside my PC to heck with using external Hdd's. I think something is wrong with the enclosure. Anyway at least this one has a 5 yr. warranty and is still recognized by Windows. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bt. but I don't think that has anything to do with it and I've ran countless scans with Malwarebytes Pro and Kaspersky with no bad results. Anyway I just wanted to check in and let everyone know I'm still alive.

moorea

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Marion, MT
phiniac.com
It happened again. DAMN, I got some terrible luck. I tried to access a movie on the external HDD and windows says "This Hdd needs to be formatted before it can be used. I have a recovery program running on it now to get my movies back. I put it inside my PC to heck with using external Hdd's. I think something is wrong with the enclosure. Anyway at least this one has a 5 yr. warranty and is still recognized by Windows. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bt. but I don't think that has anything to do with it and I've ran countless scans with Malwarebytes Pro and Kaspersky with no bad results. Anyway I just wanted to check in and let everyone know I'm still alive.

You are not having very good computer luck recently!

5cardstud

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2010
Wash
Well here's how my day went. I was sick most of it but got over that. Then while I was working on one of my PCs I smelled something burning. I looked everywhere and even out side but then I found it. It was my Buzz Pro. Burn't up my tank too. lost a whole tank full of juice that went all over the Buzz and everything else. Then while all this was going on I put drops in my eye but alas, YUP it was 24mg. juice. So when the blue screen of death the dump screen showed up on my other PC I just shut every thing down and said enough. Oh here's what my M1A1 looks like now.

dsc02320ad.jpg

But the good news is after I fix the positive lead on the inside I'm 99% sure my Buzz Pro survived the ordeal. Plus I figured out a new way to roast weenies. Oh and Hard drive is fine. It already has around 50 movies back on it so alls not lost. .

moorea

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2009
Marion, MT
phiniac.com
Well here's how my day went. I was sick most of it but got over that. Then while I was working on one of my PCs I smelled something burning. I looked everywhere and even out side but then I found it. It was my Buzz Pro. Burn't up my tank too. lost a whole tank full of juice that went all over the Buzz and everything else. Then while all this was going on I put drops in my eye but alas, YUP it was 24mg. juice. So when the blue screen of death the dump screen showed up on my other PC I just shut every thing down and said enough. Oh here's what my M1A1 looks like now.

dsc02320ad.jpg

But the good news is after I fix the positive lead on the inside I'm 99% sure my Buzz Pro survived the ordeal. Plus I figured out a new way to roast weenies. Oh and Hard drive is fine. It already has around 50 movies back on it so alls not lost. .

OMG, that is not a good day at all! Haven't you put the nic juice in your eye before... I believe that was you. You need to mark your eye drops better, because it hurts me just hearing about it. Well if your buzz is OK and your hard drive is better, as long as your eye is not still burning... the M1A1 was a small price to pay!

Just out of curiosity, do you get a better hit of nicotine when you drop it in your eye. Can you go a longer time without nicking after that. Kind of reminds of the college days (I'm not saying why though :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread