IPV Mini V2 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mines going strong. The black paint is scratched off (not chipped) around the edges, but it does spend time in my pocket with keys/flashlights/pocketknives. The firing button is a little loose, not bad, just wiggles a bit more than it did when new. Still drives all my devices faithfully. Lately it's been hosting a ST+ and a Derringer.

Some stuff still irritates me though. Since I spend a lot of time vaping while tethered, the bottom USB port is just a chronic pain. Between having to balance it on the edges of things, and keeping dirt out of the plug, I'm sick of it. I could do without memory presets also, or at least have them activated by a combo button press, instead of the "up" button.

So now I found myself at odds with my chronic shinyitis. Do I wait for the ipv Mini 3 to be that much better...or jump ship for the SX Mini?

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
Do I wait for the IPV Mini 3 to be that much better...or jump ship for the SX Mini?
Isn't that kinda like asking if you should wait for the next generation of the Honda Civic or jump on a Porsche? Pretty different classes there. :unsure:

Reactions: Libbydude

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
Anybody got a link to any scope results for this device yet? I can't believe this thread slipped to page 5! Sure, this devices appearance ages in house fly years but sure is a solid performer.
I haven't seen anything, yet.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Mines going strong. The black paint is scratched off (not chipped) around the edges, but it does spend time in my pocket with keys/flashlights/pocketknives. The firing button is a little loose, not bad, just wiggles a bit more than it did when new. Still drives all my devices faithfully. Lately it's been hosting a ST+ and a Derringer.

Some stuff still irritates me though. Since I spend a lot of time vaping while tethered, the bottom USB port is just a chronic pain. Between having to balance it on the edges of things, and keeping dirt out of the plug, I'm sick of it. I could do without memory presets also, or at least have them activated by a combo button press, instead of the "up" button.

So now I found myself at odds with my chronic shinyitis. Do I wait for the IPV Mini 3 to be that much better...or jump ship for the SX Mini?

That's like wizzing into a Fan and expecting to not get wet.
Why are you wasting time tethered? Your pulling more power than you could possibly put back in.
An external charger and extra batteries will set you Free! :D

as for jumping ship.........................
Do you prefer $60-$70 Mods or $200 per Mod?
SX Mini is either Convert all your toppers to Ni200 or get a $200 60w mod.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
That's like wizzing into a Fan and expecting to not get wet.
Why are you wasting time tethered? Your pulling more power than you could possibly put back in.
An external charger and extra batteries will set you Free! :D

as for jumping ship.........................
Do you prefer $60-$70 Mods or $200 per Mod?
SX Mini is either Convert all your toppers to Ni200 or get a $200 60w mod.
*Cough* 75W *Cough*

6fvpRMe.jpg

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
It's 75W regulated with the latest firmware, that was all I was trying to show. The launch specs are outdated.

10-4 on that.
I just ordered mine. :D
Will immediately update if needed.

Need a decent looking Mod for out and about. The Mini2 is looking rough these days. Thought about a wrap but the edges are getting tarnished something terrible.

Last edited:

caboog78

ECF Veteran
Apr 4, 2015
Northwest, USA
Somewhat late to the party, had to plow through all the pages in this thread before I was ready to post. Picked up a black Mini 2 about two months ago now, and have been loving it, quirks and all. It's the first high-powered regulated device I have owned, and it has been serving me well. I knew about the, uh, "delicate" paint when I purchased it, and it has held up it's reputation so far. Will be looking for a good wrap sooner or later. Loving it with all my drippers and the Goliath RTA I picked up more recently. The lack of step-down is something I learned about after I made my purchase, but about a month or so after. I like to just set the wattage to what ever it gives it 4.2 V out, and it was the guy in my B&M who also uses one that told me about the DC-DC part. I've built down to .3 ohms for this unit, however most of my builds are a bit higher, so this device does everything I want for a price that was easy to handle.

The quirks, besides the no step-down and crappy paint life, are the screen's weird decisions as to when it stays lit, the battery cover, and the placement of the USB port. The screen I've gotten used to, tap the fire button once quickly to get it to stay lit up for a few seconds with out actually firing. This lets me check the battery bar and the other settings on it. The battery cover can be a real PITA, as others have mentioned, though it does seem to be better after some use. Perhaps I'm just getting used to it? It would be nice if the USB port was on the front by the buttons, or one of the sides, and not on the bottom. I don't use it much, 99% of the time I'm swapping out for a fresh battery and using my Nitecore to charge the drained one, but it would be nice to charge it standing up. Then I could feel better about popping it on a wall charger with out having to remove the tank or atty because I'm worried about leaks or such.

I tried an SX Mini briefly about 2 weeks ago, and the fit and finish on that was in a different category compared to the IPV Mini 2. Just light years better, but also almost 3 times the price. I'm holding off on temp control for the time being, so the Mini 2 as my home/short jaunts piece to go with my ego One as the work-a-day device, plus a couple of mechs for the sake of mechs, is a nice set up for me. Maybe in a few months I'll get over my hang ups about nickel and decide it's time for a temp control device, or just get bit by the upgrade bug again and splash out the money for an SX Mini or some other, higher-end type of device, but I do not regret my IPV Mini 2 and would likely get another one if I somehow killed it.

boog

Reactions: VapingTurtle

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
The quirks, besides the no step-down and crappy paint life, are the screen's weird decisions as to when it stays lit, the battery cover, and the placement of the USB port. The screen I've gotten used to, tap the fire button once quickly to get it to stay lit up for a few seconds with out actually firing. This lets me check the battery bar and the other settings on it. The battery cover can be a real PITA, as others have mentioned...

Yup, I think you've hit upon most of the downside of this mod, and why it has been beaten in the marketplace by a number of other, better mods in the same price range since it came out.

I think this thing had be far surpassed and obsoleted in just a few months on the market.

Reactions: caboog78

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Still Loving mine. Ugly, flawed and all, it just keeps doing what it is supposed to.
Would I Buy another at $63? Probably not, but in Silver I'd likely cough up $50.

I feel for 3x the price, the SX Mini M class is easily 3x the Mod. It seems to offer much more than other TC mods and has all the magic of the original for VW Vaping is desired.

Both Mods sport the YiHi Chipsets so contrary to others claims the IPV is a decent dependable device.(looks aren't everything)

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
Hmmm so I build my stm to .7 and I vape on it at 20 watts it shows on my ipv mini 2 that it is 3.8 volts. So from what I've read on here that on a fully charged battery it is actually putting out 4.2 volts? I guess maybe I should try for a 1 ohm build to vape at 20 watts and stay closer to the 4.2 volts? I find it strange because when I vape at 4.2 on a fresh battery it seems stronger than 3.8. Thanks in advance for any advice I'm still trying to understand this stuff.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Hmmm so I build my stm to .7 and I vape on it at 20 watts it shows on my ipv mini 2 that it is 3.8 volts. So from what I've read on here that on a fully charged battery it is actually putting out 4.2 volts? I guess maybe I should try for a 1 ohm build to vape at 20 watts and stay closer to the 4.2 volts? I find it strange because when I vape at 4.2 on a fresh battery it seems stronger than 3.8. Thanks in advance for any advice I'm still trying to understand this stuff.

You are reading Voltage output. If you want closer to 4.2v up the watts. If the Vape is to warm, yes up the resistance.

ashtrayogdc

ECF Veteran
Oct 1, 2013
Saskatchewan
You are reading Voltage output. If you want closer to 4.2v up the watts. If the Vape is to warm, yes up the resistance.
Aye ok but is it putting oit 3.8 on a fresh battery? That is what I'm wondering because since there is no stepdown the mod will give out 4.2 on a freshly charged battery? I'm comfused by that. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread