The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

IPV Mini V2 ???

Discussion in 'VV/VW APV Discussion' started by DHubbs, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. zeus01

zeus01 Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 19, 2011
    manila

just to make sure I understaood you right

it does step down ,sort of,but in pwm mode,which automatically happens to the ipv mini2,right?

so if lets say,for arguments sake,
    I make a 0.4 ohm coil and go 30watts

it would get a better run time
    compared to building a 2 ohm coil and set it for 30watts?

am I making sense?

2. VapingTurtle

VapingTurtle ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  3. VapingTurtle

No, the IPV Mini 2 does not step-down (buck). Whatever your battery's voltage is, minus the circuit's voltage drop, is what the minimum output voltage will be.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zeus01

Aug 19, 2011
    manila
    not sure I am following, please forgive my lack of understanding,i appreciate your patience

lets say I have a fully charged batt,4.2v right
    and I set the ipv to 25watts, with a 0.3 ohm coil,the ipv reads it as 3.v,right
    but the actual output is still 4.2v?and watts well,not great with math,but I am guessing,more than 25watts?

am I understanding it right?

5. VapingTurtle

That is (almost) correct.

(The "almost" part: The actual output voltage will be below 4.2 volts because of the voltage drop through the entire circuit.)

Get one of those cheap ($9-$16) in-line voltage meters or a multimeter, and see what the voltage going across your coil.

6. zeus01

Aug 19, 2011
    manila
    thanks for clarifying so if in case ,I want to save on battery?sub ohming would still be my best route to get maximum battery life,am I at least guessing correctly...

7. VapingTurtle

I don't know how a lower resistance would affect battery life and I don't wanna guess.

• Like Like x 1
  8. zeus01

Aug 19, 2011
    manila
    well,if atleast I am reading right its not as stressed? vs a higher ohm coil?
    since youre not asking it to pull more volts?

9. VapingTurtle

Volts aren't pushed. Current (amperage) is. Or pulled. Or drawn.

10. zeus01

Aug 19, 2011
    manila
    hmmm.;.sorry not sure how to ask,

I am only basing it from the screen,if it says 6v,12v I assume that's what its pulling,

I do understand amps,in terms when used on mechs,is this the same case pretty much?

11. VapingTurtle

12. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2014
    MD
    No, its the opposite. A higher ohm coil will draw less amps at the same wattage, thus resulting in better battery life.

Quick example, take the Kanger subtank coil options .5ohm, and 1.2ohm. If they are both ran at say 30W the .5ohm coil will draw almost 8 amps. The 1.2ohm coil would only be only be drawing 5 amps, even though it would take more higher voltage to hit that 30W.

That is true for regulated and mechs, you can't get around ohm's law, these boxes aren't magic. On mechs you don't have the advantage of having the same power output with a higher resistance coil.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BigEgo

BigEgo Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Alabama
    That's correct. The other guys are being pedantic saying "PWM doesn't count as step-down." They are right in a technical sense but it has nothing to do with your question. The IPV mini (1 and 2) will emulate step-down with PWM. It still fires at the minimum voltage of the battery, but will "pulse" the signal to emulate a lower voltage. It's not technically bucking, but it will result in a "cooler" or weaker vape. PBusardo showed this with his scope readings.

.4 ohms @ 30 watts = 8.6 amps and 3.46v

2 ohm @ 30 watts = 7.7 amps and 3.87v

The 0.4 build should kick into PWM (at least on a full battery). The 2 ohm probably wouldn't. But, yes, the 2nd build should last a bit longer. However, the quality of the vape will vary between those builds as not all builds at 30 watts are equal.

For instance, let's say you build the 0.4 coil with 24 gauge wire @ 2mm and 5.5 wraps. Now let's say you build the 2 ohm coil with 28 gauge wire on a 3mm bit (9 wraps). (Yes you could build them with other gauges and diameters, but these are pretty standard and the diameter of the coil or how many wraps doesn't make any difference here).

Now, the 0.4 coil will have a heat flux (how hot the coil gets) of 331 mw/mm^2 and a heat capacity (how quick it heats up) of 37.76 mJ K^-1. The 2 ohm coil (again at 30w) will have a heat flux of 266 mw/mm2 and a heat capacity of 29.54 mJK-1.

Therefore, the 2 ohm coil will give a cooler vape (but will be quicker to heat) than the 0.4 ohm coil, even when both are at 30 watts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. UncleChuck

UncleChuck Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Portland
    When it comes to regulated devices the math for figuring out current draw on the battery isn't as obvious as it is with mechs. The voltage coming out of the device doesn't factor in when figuring amperage draw on the battery, you need to use the power level it's set to and the battery's remaining charge.

So if you have a (relatively) fixed battery voltage, and a fixed power level of 30w, ohms law says there is only one possible amperage regardless of resistance in order to reach that power level with the available voltage from the battery.

When using the 1.2 ohm coil set to 30 watts the device has to boost the (ideal) 4.2v of the internal battery up to 6v, and it does this by drawing additional current and changing it into a higher voltage.

Basically when the voltage source is fixed there is no way to get equal power with unequal amperage levels because the other two parts (voltage and power) are the same, so amperage has to be the same too.

Sorry if that was too long winded!:)

• Like Like x 2
  15. VapingTurtle

I don't think your big ego knows what it is talking about. Go study. (How's that for ad hominem?)

The is no such thing as emulating step-down. The regulator has a buck circuit or it does not. PWM in voltage regulation is a pulse train signal, an output waveform, not a type of regulator.

The IPV MINI 2 does not have buck regulation.

PBusardo has not done a review of the IPV Mini 2. He has done the IPV Mini (30w) and the IPV 2. Both are different than the Mini 2. Correct me if I'm wrong with a link to his review of the IPV Mini 2.

Yup. Correct. The Unc knows his stuff. And that is why I said:

• Like Like x 1
  16. ThunderDan

ThunderDan Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 15, 2014
    MD
    The ipv mini II does not have PWM at all, I am not sure where you are getting that from.

Its OK, wasn't that long winded, thanks for trying to explain.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Libbydude

Libbydude Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2012
    Idaho
    Anybody got a link to any scope results for this device yet? I can't believe this thread slipped to page 5! Sure, this devices appearance ages in house fly years but sure is a solid performer.

• Like Like x 1
  18. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Mine is still working great.............and looking like crap. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. zeus01

Aug 19, 2011
    manila
    you are not alone my friend

20. Libbydude

Libbydude Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Mar 14, 2012
    Idaho
    I like the rustic look of it. I'm going to let my kids paint stuff on it.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.