IPV Mini V2 ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
Pretty sure you are right. It has no buck circuitry like the dna or SX350's but it does the poor man's step-down with PWM. No, it doesn't let you "select" PWM or DC-DC like the Mini 30w does, but that's because it is a useless feature. No need to "select" PWM. It does it automatically when required based on voltage/build.

just to make sure I understaood you right

it does step down ,sort of,but in pwm mode,which automatically happens to the ipv mini2,right?

so if lets say,for arguments sake,
I make a 0.4 ohm coil and go 30watts

it would get a better run time
compared to building a 2 ohm coil and set it for 30watts?

am I making sense?

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
The Reef just off the Florida coast
A DC-DC converter can be buck, boost, or buck-boost. But they are all taking a DC battery current and produce a DC output. It is a misnomer when used to contrast DC-DC to PWM, which is a technique and description of an output signal. We don't use inverters in e-cigs, which convert DC to AC.

Reactions: zeus01

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011

it does step down ,sort of,but in pwm mode,which automatically happens to the ipv mini2,right?
No, the IPV Mini 2 does not step-down (buck). Whatever your battery's voltage is, minus the circuit's voltage drop, is what the minimum output voltage will be.

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
No, the IPV Mini 2 does not step-down (buck). Whatever your battery's voltage is, minus the circuit's voltage drop, is what the minimum output voltage will be.

not sure I am following, please forgive my lack of understanding,i appreciate your patience

lets say I have a fully charged batt,4.2v right
and I set the ipv to 25watts, with a 0.3 ohm coil,the ipv reads it as 3.v,right
but the actual output is still 4.2v?and watts well,not great with math,but I am guessing,more than 25watts?

am I understanding it right?

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
lets say I have a fully charged batt,4.2v right
and I set the ipv to 25watts, with a 0.3 ohm coil,the ipv reads it as 3.v,right
but the actual output is still 4.2v?and watts well,not great with math,but I am guessing,more than 25watts?
That is (almost) correct.

(The "almost" part: The actual output voltage will be below 4.2 volts because of the voltage drop through the entire circuit.)

Get one of those cheap ($9-$16) in-line voltage meters or a multimeter, and see what the voltage going across your coil.

zeus01

ECF Veteran
Aug 19, 2011
manila
That is (almost) correct.

(The "almost" part: The actual output voltage will be below 4.2 volts because of the voltage drop through the entire circuit.)

thanks for clarifying so if in case ,I want to save on battery?sub ohming would still be my best route to get maximum battery life,am I at least guessing correctly...

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
thanks for clarifying so if in case ,I want to save on battery?sub ohming would still be my best route to get maximum battery life,am I at least guessing correctly...
I don't know how a lower resistance would affect battery life and I don't wanna guess.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD
well,if atleast I am reading right its not as stressed? vs a higher ohm coil?
since youre not asking it to pull more volts?

No, its the opposite. A higher ohm coil will draw less amps at the same wattage, thus resulting in better battery life.

Quick example, take the Kanger subtank coil options .5ohm, and 1.2ohm. If they are both ran at say 30W the .5ohm coil will draw almost 8 amps. The 1.2ohm coil would only be only be drawing 5 amps, even though it would take more higher voltage to hit that 30W.

That is true for regulated and mechs, you can't get around ohm's law, these boxes aren't magic. On mechs you don't have the advantage of having the same power output with a higher resistance coil.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama

That's correct. The other guys are being pedantic saying "PWM doesn't count as step-down." They are right in a technical sense but it has nothing to do with your question. The IPV mini (1 and 2) will emulate step-down with PWM. It still fires at the minimum voltage of the battery, but will "pulse" the signal to emulate a lower voltage. It's not technically bucking, but it will result in a "cooler" or weaker vape. PBusardo showed this with his scope readings.

so if lets say,for arguments sake,
I make a 0.4 ohm coil and go 30watts

it would get a better run time
compared to building a 2 ohm coil and set it for 30watts?

am I making sense?

.4 ohms @ 30 watts = 8.6 amps and 3.46v

2 ohm @ 30 watts = 7.7 amps and 3.87v

The 0.4 build should kick into PWM (at least on a full battery). The 2 ohm probably wouldn't. But, yes, the 2nd build should last a bit longer. However, the quality of the vape will vary between those builds as not all builds at 30 watts are equal.

For instance, let's say you build the 0.4 coil with 24 gauge wire @ 2mm and 5.5 wraps. Now let's say you build the 2 ohm coil with 28 gauge wire on a 3mm bit (9 wraps). (Yes you could build them with other gauges and diameters, but these are pretty standard and the diameter of the coil or how many wraps doesn't make any difference here).

Now, the 0.4 coil will have a heat flux (how hot the coil gets) of 331 mw/mm^2 and a heat capacity (how quick it heats up) of 37.76 mJ K^-1. The 2 ohm coil (again at 30w) will have a heat flux of 266 mw/mm2 and a heat capacity of 29.54 mJK-1.

Therefore, the 2 ohm coil will give a cooler vape (but will be quicker to heat) than the 0.4 ohm coil, even when both are at 30 watts.

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Quick example, take the Kanger subtank coil options .5ohm, and 1.2ohm. If they are both ran at say 30W the .5ohm coil will draw almost 8 amps. The 1.2ohm coil would only be only be drawing 5 amps, even though it would take more higher voltage to hit that 30W.

That is true for regulated and mechs, you can't get around ohm's law, these boxes aren't magic. On mechs you don't have the advantage of having the same power output with a higher resistance coil.

When it comes to regulated devices the math for figuring out current draw on the battery isn't as obvious as it is with mechs. The voltage coming out of the device doesn't factor in when figuring amperage draw on the battery, you need to use the power level it's set to and the battery's remaining charge.

So if you have a (relatively) fixed battery voltage, and a fixed power level of 30w, ohms law says there is only one possible amperage regardless of resistance in order to reach that power level with the available voltage from the battery.

When using the 1.2 ohm coil set to 30 watts the device has to boost the (ideal) 4.2v of the internal battery up to 6v, and it does this by drawing additional current and changing it into a higher voltage.

Basically when the voltage source is fixed there is no way to get equal power with unequal amperage levels because the other two parts (voltage and power) are the same, so amperage has to be the same too.

Sorry if that was too long winded!:)

VapingTurtle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2011
That's correct. The other guys are being pedantic saying "PWM doesn't count as step-down." They are right in a technical sense but it has nothing to do with your question. The IPV mini (1 and 2) will emulate step-down with PWM. It still fires at the minimum voltage of the battery, but will "pulse" the signal to emulate a lower voltage. It's not technically bucking, but it will result in a "cooler" or weaker vape. PBusardo showed this with his scope readings.
I don't think your big ego knows what it is talking about. Go study. (How's that for ad hominem?)

The is no such thing as emulating step-down. The regulator has a buck circuit or it does not. PWM in voltage regulation is a pulse train signal, an output waveform, not a type of regulator.

The IPV MINI 2 does not have buck regulation.

PBusardo has not done a review of the IPV Mini 2. He has done the IPV Mini (30w) and the IPV 2. Both are different than the Mini 2. Correct me if I'm wrong with a link to his review of the IPV Mini 2.

When it comes to regulated devices the math for figuring out current draw on the battery isn't as obvious as it is with mechs.
Yup. Correct. The Unc knows his stuff. And that is why I said:
I don't know how a lower resistance would affect battery life and I don't wanna guess.

ThunderDan

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2014
MD

.4 ohms @ 30 watts = 8.6 amps and 3.46v

2 ohm @ 30 watts = 7.7 amps and 3.87v

The 0.4 build should kick into PWM (at least on a full battery). The 2 ohm probably wouldn't. But, yes, the 2nd build should last a bit longer. However, the quality of the vape will vary between those builds as not all builds at 30 watts are equal.

For instance, let's say you build the 0.4 coil with 24 gauge wire @ 2mm and 5.5 wraps. Now let's say you build the 2 ohm coil with 28 gauge wire on a 3mm bit (9 wraps). (Yes you could build them with other gauges and diameters, but these are pretty standard and the diameter of the coil or how many wraps doesn't make any difference here).

Now, the 0.4 coil will have a heat flux (how hot the coil gets) of 331 mw/mm^2 and a heat capacity (how quick it heats up) of 37.76 mJ K^-1. The 2 ohm coil (again at 30w) will have a heat flux of 266 mw/mm2 and a heat capacity of 29.54 mJK-1.

Therefore, the 2 ohm coil will give a cooler vape (but will be quicker to heat) than the 0.4 ohm coil, even when both are at 30 watts.

The ipv mini II does not have PWM at all, I am not sure where you are getting that from.

When it comes to regulated devices the math for figuring out current draw on the battery isn't as obvious as it is with mechs. The voltage coming out of the device doesn't factor in when figuring amperage draw on the battery, you need to use the power level it's set to and the battery's remaining charge.

So if you have a (relatively) fixed battery voltage, and a fixed power level of 30w, ohms law says there is only one possible amperage regardless of resistance in order to reach that power level with the available voltage from the battery.

When using the 1.2 ohm coil set to 30 watts the device has to boost the (ideal) 4.2v of the internal battery up to 6v, and it does this by drawing additional current and changing it into a higher voltage.

Basically when the voltage source is fixed there is no way to get equal power with unequal amperage levels because the other two parts (voltage and power) are the same, so amperage has to be the same too.

Sorry if that was too long winded!:)

Its OK, wasn't that long winded, thanks for trying to explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread